Deceptive Advertising at Ski Resorts

Nice work. Most of the logic behind it makes sense. My first reaction was that a reported excess of snowfall on the weekends is a smoking gun, since there is no meterological reason that could happen. But it is important to check vs. outside data because over a couple of seasons it can happen. We all probably remember seasons when the storms were nicely timed for our weekend trips, and other years where all the big dumps seemed to be on Monday/Tuesday.

There are places like Mammoth where it is NOT good for business for the storms to hit on the weekends. 1982-83, where it snowed every weekend from Jan. 15 to May 15 saw much reduced skier visits from 1981-82, which had 3 massive storm cycles in November, early January and late March/early April but was sunny most of the weekends. Both seasons were in full operation by Thanksgiving and open into July.

Somewhat interesting since Mammoth was the sample area at the end of that paper, used to illustrate the new iPhone reports on SkiReport.com. About a year ago an suspicious ongoing reporting uptrend in Mammoth's snow reporting was finally explained. The Mammoth historical data was corrected to use patrol plot data vs. the sum of marketing ski reports. The marketing reports over the past 10-15 years had run higher than previous years, while the corrected patrol reports were quite in line with the prior data. So of course the excesses were inconsistent; bad years were consistent but the big years 2004-05 and 2005-06 broke the records from 1983 even though the base depths by observation weren't quite as much. With the patrol corrections 1982-83 has been resorted to its rightful record status.

The marketing excesses were traced by some of the locals to the biggest storms. I had caught a couple of these myself but did not know that it happened enough to effect season totals. A good example was the New Year's 2006 storm where I was stranded in Bishop between ski days. The storm lasted 31 hours and was reported at the time as 95 inches, but patrol data shows 70. The reason for the above discrepancies, touched upon in the Dartmouth paper, is that marketing departments can update more than once a day even though they usually do not. If a past-24-hour total is reported more than once a day it can sometimes result in double counting that can be picked up by website aggregators like OnThe Snow.com and SkiReport.com. The Dartmouth people did not think this effect was significant in their analysis, though in the specific case of Mammoth we know now that it can be. I believe the Mammoth errors were occasional and innocent, and they now use the patrol data for monthly historical totals. It turns out I had downloaded patrol daily records from 1984-2006, and they checked out exactly with the new revisions.

I also noticed that the charts at the end point out that the weekend over-reporting shows a distinct trend to increase the over reporting the larger the snowfall (aka virtually no over reporting for 1-2" storms that gradually trend toward larger and larger variances to the 'control' data as the reported snowfall gets larger.

This would seem to fit for several reasons. 1) Even the average schlub can tell an over report when you didn't get very much in the first place vs how many average folks would really be able to tell 14" vs 12"?, 2) the ever talked about 'measured in a drift' that could potentially -in at least some storms- actually occur at some measuring sites.

Tony Crocker":1dw7faj6 said:
Nice work. Most of the logic behind it makes sense. My first reaction was that a reported excess of snowfall on the weekends is a smoking gun, since there is no meterological reason that could happen.

Interestingly enough, I once read a report that said the majority of rain that hit NYC, hit during the weekends.

I came across this and found it pretty interesting - it's research into the degree to which ski areas inflate their snowfall amounts, which found that there seems to be a correlation with distance from a major urban area, and that cell phone service availability impacted the degree to which snowfall figures were exaggerated (the claim was that cell phone service increased access to more, perhaps less biased snowfall information)

There's a link to the original research called "Wintertime for Deceptive Advertising" from the npr.org summary

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =122084539

Sven

I heard the same report. It is up to us to keep them honest.

Alta (and the Dartmouth Skiway) are among the most accurate at reporting snowfall amounts.

Skrad":185kf6a1 said:
I heard the same report. It is up to us to keep them honest.

Alta (and the Dartmouth Skiway) are among the most accurate at reporting snowfall amounts.
As is Mad River Glen.

Some resorts are deceptive in other ways- take Mt. High as an example. It advertises itself as "Southern California's Closest Winter Resort," when that statement is just flat-out false. It's always annoyed me to no end that they have the gall to do that.

Aukai":25ddjkbr said:
Some resorts are deceptive in other ways- take Mt. High as an example. It advertises itself as "Southern California's Closest Winter Resort," when that statement is just flat-out false. It's always annoyed me to no end that they have the gall to do that.
Huh? You might want to elaborate a bit, esp for those of us with no concept of locations. After all, it's closest to someone, right? As Steven Wright once said, everywhere is within walking distance...if you have the time.

Aukai":2inkj6nh said:

Vertical drop and skiable area are also deceptively advertised by some resorts. Kirkwood, for example, claims a 2000' vertical. However, the true lift-served vertical is only 1650', with the remainder being hike-only. Several others do the same. Snowbasin, in some of my older ski guides, listed a vert of 3500'. Nowadays people have GPS and Google Earth, so it's easier to call resorts out. But even without GPS, it was obvious that Kirkwood's vertical was severely limited compared to somewhere like Snowbird, with a true 3000' drop from the tram. The steep upper areas at Kirkwood (from the Wall down the ridge) are quite short before you hit a long, intermediate to flat runout back to the lifts. The consistently steep lines from the Tram at Snowbird seem to go on forever by comparison.

It's great that people like Mr. Crocker and others on this board try to keep the resorts accountable...

"Southern California's Closest Winter Resort,"
They could weasel that claim because Wrightwood has some bed base/resort facilities while Baldy/Waterman are strictly day areas. But I agree it's BS since 99+% of Mt. High skiers are probably daytrippers. My understanding is that Big Bear is about 75% daytrippers.

Back