The Ultimate Ski Vehicle

Ski vehicle? Maybe. But as a general OHV? I can easily think of over a dozen established 4x4 roads in UT and CO that one of those could never negotiate.

Personally, I find any full size extend or crew cab pickup with either a cap or tonneau to be exactly the right vehicle for the job. You can throw your crap in the back and not have to worry about it making a mess of anything (wet, who cares, dirty, who cares, etc.) and still have room for 4 to 5 people comfortably (especilaly with a crew cab). Sealed back makes road salt not an issue, and no need for ski racks to even carry 4 to 6 sets of skis/boards.

Throw some snow tires on and make it not brand new so you don't worry about beating on it to take it even a bit further.

-Craig

Not that I'd ever buy one, but - the original Hummer.

Those things can do crazy stuff for a vehicle.

EMSC":3f9mwees said:
Not that I'd ever buy one, but - the original Hummer.

Those things can do crazy stuff for a vehicle.
True. Both side hill and uphill capability are stunning. Adjusting tire inflation from the driver's seat is pretty cool, too, as is locking the differentials. (Yeah, anyone can do that if they invest in a pair of ARB air lockers, and an on board compressor, and be willing to rebuild the two differentials.) But the H1 is still too wide for some of the old roads put in by the uranium prospectors driving Willey's (Jeep CJ). Elephant Hill comes to mind.

1995 honda accord wagon 5 spd with dunlop snows, no rack or box needed. best ski vehicle ever for me. 32mpg doesn't $uck either.

rog

Harvey44":2b2vre79 said:
Subaru Outback.
I've seen those things in places in the desert b/c that I wouldn't have thought possible!

My wife bought a used one last year. Solid vehicle.

I think there is a clear distinction between a "ski vehicle" and an "all terrain vehicle." For those such as admin, who take summer expeditions into remote areas on marginal roads, the latter is a necessity. For just skiing, AWD for the snow is all you need, and the weight, handling and mileage drawbacks of the true off-road vehicles make no sense if you're not going to put them to that use.

Not to speak for him but...I'm pretty sure BBD was being a little facetious with the original post.

For us the need is reliability, efficiency, traction, cargo capacity and safety. We've opted for the CRV because the Outback doesn't have the cargo space we need for a family of three to go overnight. So I guess I didn't answer completely honestly. But in my dreams...where I live in the mountains....I don't need no stinkin cargo space. The Subie is a great combo of traction and efficiency. No surprise all the skilocals in the Adks drive em.

Ski vehicle? The Outback has too many bells and whistles for this duck tape freeheeler. :wink: A straight-up Legacy wagon with some decent snows does just fine.

Off road? I lived in Kenya for a year in 1989. At that time there were still a lot of colonial-era Landrovers around. A major cottage industry all around the country was making or otherwise obtaining parts for the continued upkeep of these vehicles. To this day, I still can't quite believe some of the terrain I saw easily handled by those old Landrovers, especially in wet and muddy conditions on steep slopes.

flyover":1c2ckygn said:
Ski vehicle? The Outback..

I wasn't really distinguishing between the two. I'm surprised a ducktaped free heeler is focused on trim levels. :-D

Anyway I want to change my answer....I think the Forrester has the same AWD system but more cargo room so that might do it. Not sure about the bells and whistles on it though.

And I have to say after six Hondas in a row, this one (2006 CRV) is my first disappointment.

flyover":1tbik3yd said:
To this day, I still can't quite believe some of the terrain I saw easily handled by those old Landrovers, especially in wet and muddy conditions on steep slopes.

While hardly a colonial-era LR, my Disco is the best ski vehicle I've ever owned. I've never found a drift that I couldn't get out of, and off-road in the desert the stock vehicle's capabilities far exceed my fear factor threshold. However, I understand a little something about that create-or-otherwise-obtain-parts syndrome.

Admin Discovery.jpg

My only comment about a Forrester is too politically incorrect to post here.

Put a winch on that thing and you might just be ready for the lower slopes of Mt. Kenya during rain season. :-D For real authenticity, you could rip the top off the back, paint the whole thing olive drab, and drive around with at least 15 passengers, their luggage and a farm animal or two. :wink:

cweinman":71qk85r3 said:
Personally, I find any full size extend or crew cab pickup with either a cap or tonneau to be exactly the right vehicle for the job. You can throw your crap in the back and not have to worry about it making a mess of anything (wet, who cares, dirty, who cares, etc.) and still have room for 4 to 5 people comfortably (especilaly with a crew cab). Sealed back makes road salt not an issue, and no need for ski racks to even carry 4 to 6 sets of skis/boards.

Throw some snow tires on and make it not brand new so you don't worry about beating on it to take it even a bit further.

-Craig

That's the way I'm going. I have a 2005 2500HD Duramax with Crew Cab and long bed with 42,000 miles on it and I am going to put an A.R.E. MX cap on it. It will replace my '03 Suburban 2500 that just turned 100K and is going up for sale. The cap also has screened tilt out side and back windows and a Yakima rack for my box on top.

That's the way I'm going. I have a 2005 2500HD Duramax with Crew Cab and long bed with 42,000 miles on it and I am going to put an A.R.E. MX cap on it. It will replace my '03 Suburban 2500 that just turned 100K and is going up for sale. The cap also has screened tilt out side and back windows and a Yakima rack for my box on top.

that's a hell of a vehicle when gas goes above 4 dollars a gallon

jasoncapecod":2vads10r said:

Not really - as a diesel I suspect that the price of gas won't matter. :wink: Besides, the diesel's aren't too bad on fuel.

Admin":3tfyp8r3 said:
jasoncapecod":3tfyp8r3 said:

Not really - as a diesel I suspect that the price of gas won't matter. :wink: Besides, the diesel's aren't too bad on fuel.

I bet you can probably squeeze 18-20 mpg out of it if you drive it gently.

It seemed to me that last time the price of gas went up that the price of diesel was even higher - at least out east. Something to do with the ratio of diesel to gas produced from a barrel of crude, and the fact that higher gas prices tend to increase sales of diesel vehicles and diesel demand.

Harvey44":1ag2fdpa said:
I bet you can probably squeeze 18-20 mpg out of it if you drive it gently.

Which would be a heluva lot better than I do with the LR.

Back