The Reason for East/West Arguments

Marc_C

Perhaps this sheds some light? With a few exceptions, Easterners are just generally more unhappy (Although I think the methodology used for this "study" may have involved many monkeys and a dartboard.)

States ranked from happiest to least cheerful
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON -- A new study found that people who report more satisfaction with their lives live in states that score well on things like good schools, low crime and short commuting time, perhaps a first objective look at why some states are happier than others.

The state-by-state list, from happiest to least cheery:

1. Louisiana

2. Hawaii

3. Florida

4. Tennessee

5. Arizona

6. South Carolina

7. Mississippi

8. Montana

9. Alabama

10. Maine

11. Wyoming

12. Alaska

13. North Carolina

14. South Dakota

15. Texas

16. Idaho

17. Vermont

18. Arkansas

19. Georgia

20. Utah

21. Oklahoma

22. Delaware

23. Colorado

24. New Mexico

25. North Dakota

26. Minnesota

27. Virginia

28. New Hampshire

29. Wisconsin

30. Oregon

31. Iowa

32. Kansas

33. Nebraska

34. West Virginia

35. Kentucky

36. Washington

37. District of Columbia

38. Missouri

39. Nevada

40. Maryland

41. Pennsylvania

42. Rhode Island

43. Ohio

44. Massachusetts

45. Illinois

46. California

47. New Jersey

48. Indiana

49. Michigan

50. Connecticut

51. New York

Marc_C":2hi0t3pg said:
Perhaps this sheds some light? With a few exceptions, Easterners are just generally more unhappy (Although I think the methodology used for this "study" may have involved many monkeys and a dartboard.)

3. Florida

10. Maine

17. Vermont

20. Utah

23. Colorado

28. New Hampshire

30. Oregon

36. Washington

46. California

47. New Jersey

51. New York

Nice try, you've East-West thing doesn't really work here. Maybe it's just you and the people from your old neighbourhood that are just unhappy. :troll:

Ask Admin how happy he would be if he would move back to Florida. :roll:

I'm trying to see a pattern in that list. The only thing I can come up with is the most urbanized states tend to be lower down. Louisiana 4 years after Katrina #1???

Tony Crocker":3362mcic said:
I'm trying to see a pattern in that list. The only thing I can come up with is the most urbanized states tend to be lower down. Louisiana 4 years after Katrina #1???
The unhappy poor people are all dead or displaced to other states?

My take on Louisiana is that the unhappy people moved to Texas, thus why it is 15. :-D

New York at 51... I think my family back there is probably contributing to that and I did know a lot of pissed off people there (including myself at the time) :-k .

Marc_C":1ndzgy1z said:

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON -- A new study found that people who report more satisfaction with their lives live in states that score well on things like good schools, low crime and short commuting time, perhaps a first objective look at why some states are happier than others.

1. Louisiana

2. Hawaii

3. Florida East

4. Tennessee East

5. Arizona

6. South Carolina East

7. Mississippi East

8. Montana

9. Alabama East

10. Maine East

I get 6 out of the top 10 east of the Mississippi. I can only conclude that Marc_C is a miserable bastard who exported his misery from Connecticut to Utah.

Marc_C":2yx21sl2 said:

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

1. Louisiana

2. Hawaii

3. Florida

4. Tennessee

5. Arizona

6. South Carolina

7. Mississippi

8. Montana

9. Alabama

10. Maine

11. Wyoming

12. Alaska

13. North Carolina

14. South Dakota

15. Texas

16. Idaho

17. Vermont

18. Arkansas

19. Georgia

20. Utah

21. Oklahoma

22. Delaware

23. Colorado

24. New Mexico

25. North Dakota

26. Minnesota

27. Virginia

28. New Hampshire

29. Wisconsin

30. Oregon

31. Iowa

32. Kansas

33. Nebraska

34. West Virginia

35. Kentucky

36. Washington

37. District of Columbia

38. Missouri

39. Nevada

40. Maryland

41. Pennsylvania

42. Rhode Island

43. Ohio

44. Massachusetts

45. Illinois

46. California

47. New Jersey

48. Indiana

49. Michigan

50. Connecticut

51. New York

That is one load of BULLSHIT!

Marc, Shame on you!

Powderqueen":1s1h2sfg said:
That is one load of BULLSHIT!
Marc, Shame on you!
Apparently no one saw in my original post:
Marc_C":1s1h2sfg said:
(Although I think the methodology used for this "study" may have involved many monkeys and a dartboard.)
And I agree with Tony that about the only conclusion from that twitter-ish article is that the states that are "unhappiest" are the ones most urban, with the (at least localized) highest population density.
Then again the most negative comments directed at me come from folks....in the unhappy northeast. :stir:
8)

Marc_C":1mx384m6 said:
Then again the most negative comments directed at me come from folks....in the unhappy northeast. :stir:
8)

Given your constant trolls, why should that be a surprise?

Being as we are on a ski forum East/West Arguments are going to arrive. IMHO the differences are like Apples and Oranges. Both are nice, but different. The EC offers an entirely different set of advantages to that of the West. Based purely on the mountains and snow I'm sure most east coasters are going to prefer out west. However, there are certain advantages to east coast skiing. Given flexibility and great skiing skills, there is a lot of great stuff to be had on the EC.

If skiing were my sole reason for choosing a place to live I would probably pick a place like SLC, Whistler, Telluride, or Bozeman. However, given my job and my enjoyment of cities, and a particular type of city, New York works best so far. That may change in the future, but for right now NYC is great. It is an exciting and vibrant place to live, yet is an easy flight away from most ski destinations both European and Western. If I feel like road trip skiing the Daks and No' Vt are within easy reach. That being said the local mole hills are still a bit of a hike, and not really that great.

Back