New Airline rules for flying into the states.

rfarren

Just a heads up. I don't think this applies for many of us as if we are flying to international ski destinations our origins are in the USA. However, flying back from Canada or I guess from any international point of departure you are no longer allowed to bring any carry-ons. That meant I had to stow my boots under the plane! :twisted:

rfarren":31idcstn said:
Just a heads up. I don't think this applies for many of us as if we are flying to international ski destinations our origins are in the USA. However, flying back from Canada or I guess from any international point of departure you are no longer allowed to bring any carry-ons. That meant I had to stow my boots under the plane! :twisted:

Yeah, heard about it. :roll: No carry-ons is a major hastle on my set-up when I travelled. Ski boots and small daypack with camera are always with me when I go on a ski trip. Not so much for the return.

Patrick":32ls12v3 said:
Yeah, heard about it. :roll: No carry-ons is a major hastle on my set-up when I travelled. Ski boots and small daypack with camera are always with me when I go on a ski trip. Not so much for the return.

It isn't a big deal returning home. It is though on the way out... you run the risk of losing your boots. Also, get there early... it took us literally 2 hours to get through security in Vancouver!

rfarren":3666hv49 said:
It isn't a big deal returning home. It is though on the way out... you run the risk of losing your boots. Also, get there early... it took us literally 2 hours to get through security in Vancouver!
However if you leave from Canada to go to the US on a ski trip then it's a totally different matter, especially if it requires transferts inside the US to lesser-used airports.

Or you can simply stayaway from the US altogether and head to Alta-BC or the Alps.

If you're flying to the U.S., read this first
Air travellers heading to the United States face additional screening

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le1419271/

Here are a few opinions pieces in today's G&M from a Canadian Perspective.

Oh yeah, full body scans at a few airport.

Coming soon to your airport: full-body scans
Norman Spector
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/sp ... le1419119/

Here is the article regarding the technology/study link into that first one.

Hi-tech peep show at airport
Will airline passengers be asked to show more than tickets?
By GREG WESTON
http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnis ... 1-sun.html

Margaret Wente
Security Theatre of the Absurd
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opi ... le1418698/

The pricetag for the scanner mentioned in the article is $200K per scanner, however the LaPresse article mentioned that the cost is probably more like $1 million each.

I read last night that the only place where they are limiting your amount of carry-ons is from Canada to the USA. Europe to the USA they still allow you to take two pieces, but they search inside both.

rfarren":3boskxu9 said:
I read last night that the only place where they are limiting your amount of carry-ons is from Canada to the USA.
I read that too. It was implented not by TSA in the US but by Canada's analogous security agency. If this doesn't happen in other places I have to believe that intense pressure will grow inside Canada to rescind the policy. Probably not in time for my trip Jan. 23 - Feb. 6 though. The airlines aren't going to like it either because some of them are waiving the new checked luggage fees in response.

Patrick":3boskxu9 said:
However if you leave from Canada to go to the US on a ski trip then it's a totally different matter, especially if it requires transfers inside the US to lesser-used airports.
I believe the risk of lost luggage increases substantially if there is a flight connection vs. nonstop. That's when I intend to use my new (after the Paris fiasco of 2008) boot-carrying backpack as carry-on. If I have to check it, at least it will only be coming home.

Tony Crocker":u2e7bmmj said:
rfarren":u2e7bmmj said:
I read last night that the only place where they are limiting your amount of carry-ons is from Canada to the USA.
I read that too. It was implented not by TSA in the US but by Canada's analogous security agency. If this doesn't happen in other places I have to believe that intense pressure will grow inside Canada to rescind the policy. Probably not in time for my trip Jan. 23 - Feb. 6 though. The airlines aren't going to like it either because some of them are waiving the new checked luggage fees in response.

Prorogation...The Canadian government has been prorogued on December 31st and the House/Senate/Committees/Bills have been flushed out until March 3rd. Proroguation is like a reset button. All commitees will have to be reformed and bills will have to be reintroduced. An exceptional measure which this government used again last December 08 when it risked losing a confidence vote.

Comments from the Globe&Mail. (which generally side with this government).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le1415391/

People can be upset, but the House isn't sitting...there seem to be some noise today about the full body scans. Happening without debate. Cost, issues, etc.

This administration has done everything to ease the US Adminstrations security concerns. It's true that the current PM blasted the then Prime Minister for not going to Irak with the US.

Tony Crocker":u2e7bmmj said:
Patrick":u2e7bmmj said:
However if you leave from Canada to go to the US on a ski trip then it's a totally different matter, especially if it requires transfers inside the US to lesser-used airports.
I believe the risk of lost luggage increases substantially if there is a flight connection vs. nonstop. That's when I intend to use my new boot-carrying backpack as carry-on. If I have to check it, at least it will only be coming home.

I was thinking about delayed flights and missing connections do to security issues, however losing luggage is another good point. I remember missing my connection flight to a storm on the Ottawa-Detroit-Minneapolis-Bozeman flight. Lucky that they were multiple Det-Min flights that morning or I would have missed that last flight to Bozeman.

Was the no carry-on policy implemented by a law passed by the Canadian Parliament? I doubt it. It was probably done by an administrative agency and can be reversed by the same if there is enough public outrage.

Full body scans? I'm all for it, along with profiling. There's no constitutional right to fly. I'm tired of the politically correct BS with regard to airport security. Do what's necessary to provide security in the most efficient manner as Israel has had to do. Al Queda scores a victory every time some nutjob botches an attack and we react by wasting billions of $ and thousands of hours of people's time with some of these marginally effective measures.

Tony Crocker":2h7e02sv said:
rfarren":2h7e02sv said:

United waived all my luggage fees.
Tony Crocker":2h7e02sv said:
Patrick":2h7e02sv said:
I believe the risk of lost luggage increases substantially if there is a flight connection vs. nonstop.

When I talked to some of the security people on line in Vancouver, they were saying that the "pit" (the place where all checked baggage goes) was overwhelmed, and that many flights were delayed just because they couldn't get the checked bags to the plane. She also said the incidence of lost baggage had gone up because of the sheer numbers of bags now being processed. If you ask me, it was a bit excessive.

Tony Crocker":3j8bmev6 said:
Full body scans? I'm all for it, along with profiling. There's no constitutional right to fly. I'm tired of the politically correct BS with regard to airport security. Do what's necessary to provide security in the most efficient manner as Israel has had to do. Al Queda scores a victory every time some nutjob botches an attack and we react by wasting billions of $ and thousands of hours of people's time with some of these marginally effective measures.

I feel exactly the same way. Nate Silver had a very interesting article on this :http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/01/skies-are-as-friendly-as-ever-911-al.html

Tony Crocker":3ta7c2c6 said:
Al Queda scores a victory every time some nutjob botches an attack and we react by wasting billions of $ and thousands of hours of people's time with some of these marginally effective measures.
Fullbody scans aren't really cheap. (estimates from 200K to $1 million per machine). How many machines are we talking about? How effective? Sorry for being cold-hearted, but what is the cost/benefit ratio?

Googling for a piece on the Canadian review last Fall, didn't find it.

Here is a CNN story.

Body scanners not 'magic technology' against terrorBy Marnie Hunter, CNN
December 31, 2009 2:28 p.m. EST

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/12/30/ai ... index.html

rfarren":bpzhtg5n said:
When I talked to some of the security people on line in Vancouver, they were saying that the "pit" (the place where all checked baggage goes) was overwhelmed, and that many flights were delayed just because they couldn't get the checked bags to the plane. She also said the incidence of lost baggage had gone up because of the sheer numbers of bags now being processed. If you ask me, it was a bit excessive.

Yeah, but at least in "the pit", they can add staff to get more parallelism. In the security area at YVR, there simply isn't the square footage to add the staff to manually go through carry-on bags. On December 27th when they were allowing one carry-on item, it was a complete mess.

I'm changing my strategy for future Vancouver trips. I'm driving to Montreal and taking the non-stop from there. I got stranded at O'Hare that Sunday from the security mayhem in Vancouver. I'm done with that.

Powderqueen":1yruz9eg said:
Why not fly into Seattle and drive up or get a shuttle from there?
Probably because after the time spent getting to and being at the airport plus flight time plus luggage retrieval, most people aren't looking forward to an additional 5 hrs of driving.

Powderqueen":2j6zz1ak said:

My father did that last year because it saved him $250. Now with the added security it seems like a much better option.

Tony Crocker":1v69osw7 said:
I'm all for it, along with profiling.
As supported by numerous security experts on both sides of the political fence, profiling simply doesn't work and is both a waste and misdirection of resources. Profiling would not have stopped Richard Read (the shoe bomber) nor the recent underwear bomber. One particular recent comment:

"I'm going to argue that this case illustrates the danger and the foolishness of profiling because people's conception of what a potential terrorist looks like often doesn't match reality. In this case we had a Nigerian, for example, not a person from the Middle East or from South Asia. If you look at the airline plot of 2006, two of the plotters were a married couple that were going to get on a plane with a young baby. The terrorists understand that the more they vary the kind of operative they use, the more likely they're going to be able to exploit prejudices if we allow those prejudices to guide the way we conduct our investigation.

I think it's not only problematic from civil rights' standpoint, but frankly,I think it winds up not being terribly effective."
- former Bush Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff on an NPR interview this week.

Powderqueen":2am0ymm9 said:

Been there, done that. It adds huge expense and travel time overhead to the trip compared to driving from Killington to Montreal-Trudeau Airport. There are also four Montreal-Vancouver flights on Air Canada so I can pick my time of day and have options if something bad happens where I need a different flight. I have a bajillion United points so I can fly Air Canada for free.

Geoff":hfprtxkl said:
Powderqueen":hfprtxkl said:

Been there, done that. It adds huge expense and travel time overhead to the trip compared to driving from Killington to Montreal-Trudeau Airport. There are also four Montreal-Vancouver flights on Air Canada so I can pick my time of day and have options if something bad happens where I need a different flight. I have a bajillion United points so I can fly Air Canada for free.

For us New Yorkers that's not really an option.

Geoff":gs5lcl63 said:
There are also four Montreal-Vancouver flights on Air Canada so I can pick my time of day and have options.

Many many options...

The direct flights or alternative plan one stop connections through a bunch of Canadian cities.

Kmart is only 3 hours from Montreal, however the traffic might make it worst much you get on the island.

I'll always remember looking for a good bar in Rutland in the mid80s and the person in this place said that Burlington had some good spots, but if we really wanted a fun time, we should go to Montreal. Not sure if this person knew that we were from Montreal and left that morning. We were staying in Rutland for a few days for some late May skiing.

Back