Winter Olympics

More pathetic spam masquerading as a legitimate post. The poster's email domain, not coincidentally, is the same domain that I removed from his link, above, from which he reportedly "bought" his tickets.

If you want to advertise here and use our resources to do so, pay for it.

Banned.

After you ban someone for a spam-related infraction, do you send an e-mail to whomever sent it, explaining why? Have you ever been able to transform a spam artist into a paid advertiser?

jamesdeluxe":2hboh79u said:
After you ban someone for a spam-related infraction, do you send an e-mail to whomever sent it, explaining why?

If/when they ever try to log back in they'll get my greeting card.

jamesdeluxe":2hboh79u said:
Have you ever been able to transform a spam artist into a paid advertiser?

No, and I wouldn't want to.

Okay, the topic was created for spamish reason, I decided to bring some good info on the "Winter Olympic" topic.

I know or heard of few people I know that are at the Olympics. Some are big wig officials, other are just volunteer. Without volunteers, events couldn't be held.

Here is a blog from parent volunteer with kids in the local race program that has gone to the Olympic. Great behind the scene action.

http://janesolympicadventure.blogspot.com/

The red shirts. All I could think of while watching NBC's coverage of the Olympic men's Super G tonight were the red shirts.

You know who the "red shirts" are. Remember the original Star Trek TV series? No, I'm not a Trekkie, but I still understand the concept of the red shirts. They were the guys who would appear early in an episode wearing a red uniform shirt. Kirk was in gold, Spock and Scotty wore blue. Those in red were guaranteed to die before the end of the episode, usually in some spectacular way. They were dispensable flacks, a mere extra in the episode's casting.

Watching the Super G tonight, as with all of NBC's alpine skiing coverage from these Games, if they showed someone who wasn't a well known favorite or a U.S. skier they were virtually guaranteed to crash before the finish, usually in some spectacular way. In fact, from what I could see as far as NBC was concerned, the more spectacular the better. Tonight I watched Patrik Jaerbyn of Sweden leave the starting gate. Patrik who? Who?

I was watching by myself, yet I still said it aloud: "Red shirt."

Sure enough, Jaerbyn launched badly off a jump near the bottom of the course and crashed. Spectacularly.

This coverage is the worst I've ever seen of alpine skiing, and that's saying a lot.

I unsuccessfully tried to Google it, but is anyone aware of an apples-to-apples comparison of the downhill skiing courses over the past few decades? I'd like to see how Snowbasin, Whiteface, Whistler, etc. (and the designers of those courses) stack up against each other.

Admin":3zo65223 said:
The red shirts. All I could think of while watching NBC's coverage of the Olympic men's Super G tonight were the red shirts.

You know who the "red shirts" are. Remember the original Star Trek TV series? No, I'm not a Trekkie, but I still understand the concept of the red shirts. They were the guys who would appear early in an episode wearing a red uniform shirt. Kirk was in gold, Spock and Scotty wore blue. Those in red were guaranteed to die before the end of the episode, usually in some spectacular way. They were dispensable flacks, a mere extra in the episode's casting.

Watching the Super G tonight, as with all of NBC's alpine skiing coverage from these Games, if they showed someone who wasn't a well known favorite or a U.S. skier they were virtually guaranteed to crash before the finish, usually in some spectacular way. In fact, from what I could see as far as NBC was concerned, the more spectacular the better. Tonight I watched Patrik Jaerbyn of Sweden leave the starting gate. Patrik who? Who?

I was watching by myself, yet I still said it aloud: "Red shirt."

Sure enough, Jaerbyn launched badly off a jump near the bottom of the course and crashed. Spectacularly.

This coverage is the worst I've ever seen of alpine skiing, and that's saying a lot.

I've been watching it live streaming in russian. And when I lose my site, I call my sister in Italy on skype and she turns her camera around and places it in front of her t.v., where they show the whole competition. NBC's coverage of the skiing events has been nothing less that abysmal.

rfarren":3juxm51a said:
I've been watching it live streaming in russian. And when I lose my site, I call my sister in Italy on skype and she turns her camera around and places it in front of her t.v., where they show the whole competition. NBC's coverage of the skiing events has been nothing less that abysmal.

My procedure: go to vancouver 2010 website, then alpine skiing, then schedule/results, then click on the specific race. Once on that page there is a feed from facebook comments on the right hand side that several individuals post and re-post the justin.tv link of the Eurosport feed you can open in a new window. Some very excited, funny Brits providing live race commentary... Though a bit grainy of course compared to the 1080i feed NBC shows in primetime.

jamesdeluxe":3juxm51a said:
I unsuccessfully tried to Google it, but is anyone aware of an apples-to-apples comparison of the downhill skiing courses over the past few decades? I'd like to see how Snowbasin, Whiteface, Whistler, etc. (and the designers of those courses) stack up against each other.

Not sure I've seen any direct comparisons done. Just general commentary. Generally solidly difficult DH's on both sides and fair tests for determining an Olympic champion. Men's course probably in the middle to upper portion of the pack for Olympic courses, though not quite as tough as the top 3-4 tracks on the World cup. Woman's course considered perhaps the toughest Olympic course they've seen, though maybe not quite as tough as 1 or perhaps 2 world cup tracks. Or something along those lines anyway...

Admin":2zeskq0r said:
No, I'm not a Trekkie

Funny, I wouldn't have guessed as you look like a Cybor with your new Avatar. :stir:

Watching the Super G tonight, as with all of NBC's alpine skiing coverage from these Games, if they showed someone who wasn't a well known favorite or a U.S. skier they were virtually guaranteed to crash before the finish, usually in some spectacular way. In fact, from what I could see as far as NBC was concerned, the more spectacular the better. Tonight I watched Patrik Jaerbyn of Sweden leave the starting gate. Patrik who? Who?.

I recorded it from the only network I can get a decent reception (I don't have cable, because we rarely watch TV). The Canadian coverage is on CTV (English) and V (old Television Quatre-Saisons)(French). On cable, it's on a sport network (TSN (E) and RDS (F)). A good thing if you can catch all these channel is that you just have to check the listing to see who's carrying the event and the schedule of the games. Unfortunately, if the schedule is changed and you're trying to record it at a certain time, you're screwed. ](*,)

The CBC and SRC (French) didn't win the bidding for the Olympics like for the Calgary games back in 1988 when it was CTV and TVA (French). The French commentaries was pretty bad at that time, as TVA sportscasters' knowledge outside hockey was generally pretty bad.

I was expecting the worst when I found out that 'V' had the Games coverage. Besides a reality show when young superficial singles live together, V is best known for Bleu Nuit. Pretty much far behind the two main French networks in Quebec in rating and credibility.

Back to these Olympics and yesterday's Super-G. I had recorded it and got all the first 29 racers until that "Red Shirt" crashed (so I didn't know it was going to happen), from that point on there was a delay and they moved to a hockey game. The French commentaries confirmed that a great racer doesn't necessarily make for a good commentator. The colour was gone by Mélanie Turgeon, let's just say that she was definitely a way better skier. Pretty bad.

The problem of recording live at the schedule time is that sometimes the schedule changes like today. I started recording at 1:30PM (EST) when I noticed that they already at skier #13. Damn... That is the only drawback.

Regarding the "Red shirt' classic, this used to happen on CBC would show the entire first seed (when they were all in top 15 starts) + plus all the Canadians. When you saw skier number 54 coming down, you knew that either he had the run of his life or we was going to crash.

Our coverage is good, but comments (in French) are pathetic. I didn't pay attention who's been going the comments on the English coverage. They are generally pretty good.

EMSC":2e48elot said:
rfarren":2e48elot said:

My procedure: go to vancouver 2010 website, then alpine skiing, then schedule/results, then click on the specific race. Once on that page there is a feed from facebook comments on the right hand side that several individuals post and re-post the justin.tv link of the Eurosport feed you can open in a new window. Some very excited, funny Brits providing live race commentary... Though a bit grainy of course compared to the 1080i feed NBC shows in primetime.
That's how I've been doing it it, but every now and then you lose your feed. That's when my sister in Rome helps with a live feed via skype.

BTW, BODE!!!!!

Back