Mountain increasing tickets mid-season???????

Slue-Foot-Sue

Hey,

I ski in the Northeast and love hitting up Maine for a vacation or just for a day of skiing. I was thinking about visiting Sugarloaf for a day or two and staying with some family friends in the coming weeks when I noticed that they had increased their ticket prices by $2 -- directly on the heels of Gold Medalist Seth Wescott returning home from the olympics. Not sure if they thought the mountain was worth more value now that Seth won his second gold or whether they are in a pinch and aren't getting enough skiers. Regardless $75 was already a little expensive for me and now $77 (and a mid-season hike) is just way to much and a little frustrating. Needless to say, I'm gonna look around for an alternative mountain to visit -- perhaps their neighboring mountain Saddleback - haven't skied it in years and it looks like fun.

What's most frustrating about the price hike is that I couldn't find an announcement anywhere. They may have posted it in the Saturday or Sunday snow report last weekend (that's when it looks like the hike happened) but I haven't seen a notification anywhere else. I understand it's not something a mountain would want to draw attention to BUT an explanation would be nice to see considering, I've never heard of a mountain doing this before.... has anyone else?

In a time when most mountains are doing EVERYTHING they can to make skiing affordable for people (given the fact that everyone is pinching pennys right now) it's sad that a mountain would increase tickets mid-season and without any notification.

I don't think many people in the area are happy about it either... I just read this on ski the east - http://www.skitheeast.net/submissions/view/300079421

Back