2009-10 Ski-Day Totals

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
I'm done for the season and have moved on to planting my vegetable garden and pulling dandelions for salads. :bow:

While I don't think that any of us East Coast lift-served stiffs are going to call 2009-10 a classic, there were plenty of memorable days. I posted my Season Highlights on Harvey Road.

When you've dialed back your DIN settings for the summer, let's see how your season turned out.

28 Days
2 Loveland, CO
1 Winter Park, CO
7 Belleayre, NY
3 Hunter, NY
1 Plattekill, NY
1 Greek Peak, NY
1 Camelback, PA
1 Jay Peak, VT
1 Smugglers Notch, VT
1 Mont Sutton, QC
1 Bromont, QC
1 Owl’s Head, QC
1 Mont Orford, QC
1 Massif du Sud, QC
1 Mont Sainte-Anne, QC
2 Massif de Charlevoix, QC
1 Mont Grand-Fonds, QC
1 Mont Édouard, QC

What's a DIN setting? :wink:

I had 27 days this year. My goal was 30+.

Gore (20)
Whiteface (1)
Siamese Ponds Wilderness (1)
Hunter (1)
Belleayre (2)
Plattekill (1)
Hopewell, NJ (1)

With all the snow that fell south of the mountains, I felt I had to count one ski day in my own backyard.

New areas for me were Plattekill and Belleayre - two mountains I really like.

Thanks to James and Jason pushing me to expand my horizons and explore the Catskills.

I'm at 42 days and 850K vertical so far, have a shot at breaking the records from 2004-05 before I'm done this year.

keeping track of vertical is insane. that's like counting how many steps you take in any given day..

the only person at a ski area who should be doing any counting , is the guy counting the money at the end of the day.. :stir:

I'll provide my day tally once my season is done. It's gonna be a while. :wink:

jasoncapecod":13mfgm4l said:
keeping track of vertical is insane. that's like counting how many steps you take in any given day..

+1.

Admin":wlqau30q said:
I'll provide my day tally once my season is done. It's gonna be a while. :wink:.
I think that the previous two years, I requested in advance that people either not make a post like that ^^ or at least do it in an original way.

This season, out of curiosity, I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to deliver that hoary line:
5 hours 17 minutes.

I'll forget about the whole thing if you can use your connections to get me a day of skiing with Charlotte Moats.

jamesdeluxe":85sqmo6t said:
I'll forget about the whole thing if you can use your connections to get me a day of skiing with Charlotte Moats.

:lol:

Admin":1xwklk2b said:
I'll provide my day tally once my season is done. It's gonna be a while. :wink:
Hey, that's my line. :wink:

Numbers aren't adding up fast, I'm one behind Mr. Crocker (41). Only one day since that sad day when I skied Tremblant. Breakdown by ski areas to date to follow once I get home and have some time.

Patrick, I think you missed the memo, but Tony has decided that as head moderator, he will delete areas that are less than 700 verts ("molehills") from ski-day counts in this thread. To save time for everyone, you may want to adjust your totals accordingly.

jamesdeluxe":1tql4x0h said:
Patrick, I think you missed the memo, but Tony has decided that as head moderator, he will delete areas that are less than 700 verts ("molehills") from ski-day counts in this thread. To save time for everyone, you may want to adjust your totals accordingly.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Let's see... :-k I count maybe 10 days. :oops: Morgane's ski racing and lack of stormchasing has definitely had an impact.

Since we're :brick: here, I'll respond.

Days should not be excluded, but if you guys think a couple of hours and a handful of short runs is equivalent to a full day of skiing, go ahead and think that. Vertical is not a perfect measure but it's far less imperfect than day count. I suspect Patrick considers this season so far considerably inferior to 41 days where more of the skiing was full days on "real mountains," and a vertical count would reflect that.

The earn-turns people like icelantic are an exception. His earned 10K on April 1 is an impressive achievement.

Days are the most common measure because they are easiest to track. That doesn't make them a particularly informative indicator. BTW I'm often in agreement with admin about quality vs. quantity. That involves criteria like what terrain did you ski, was there fresh powder, how good was it, etc. This requires more intensive record keeping than turning an altimeter watch on and off at the beginning and end of the day. Patrick and I both record some of that kind of info (mostly on TR's here in my case), and in these season summations I find it interesting to read a few of the subjective highlights along with the summary info by area.

jamesdeluxe":m8xkwd6t said:
This season, out of curiosity, I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to deliver that hoary line
I resisted that temptation. Nonetheless the appearance of this thread usually coincides with the transition from winter skiing to spring skiing for me.

Tony Crocker":j0v9m1hi said:
if you guys think a couple of hours and a handful of short runs is equivalent to a full day of skiing, go ahead and think that.
So you're disqualifying Admin's one-and-out on rock-hard refrozen at Alta last weekend?

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once.... "Keep your laws off my body."

Since presumably enjoyment is the goal ... you can't apply your own criteria to someone else's skiing.

I don't buy vertical as a measure.

I skied for three days with probably less than 2000 feet of vertical total and had the time of my life:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2005/11/1s ... -solo.html

Might not count in your calculation, but it sure counts in mine.

Patrick":lnxq4ire said:
Breakdown by ski areas to date to follow once I get home and have some time.

41: total days so far (38 at this time last year, however not sure when will be the next opportunity)
11 nights (12 last year)

Ski Area Breakdown:

Edelweiss QC : 17 (local) - record for single area since I've been keeping records (1981-82). I believe I did 18 at Tremblant in 1979-80.
Mad River Glen VT : 4
Camp Fortune QC : 3 (local)
Mont Cascades QC : 3 (local)
Vorlage QC : 3 (local)
Whiteface NY : 2
Calabogie Peaks ON : 2 (somewhat local)
Sunday River ME : 1
Jay Peak VT : 1
*Snow Ridge NY : 1
Mont Ste-Marie QC : 1 (somewhat local)
Le Massif QC : 1
Smugglers' Notch VT : 1
Tremblant QC : 1

* new area

QC/ON local: 29 (18 daylight skiing)
QC non-local: 2
VT: 6
NY/ME: 4

Daylight days comparison: skied 60% of those days locally versus 33% last season (at this time)

By Month (compare to last year)(mid-April):

Oct: 1 (0)
Nov: 1 (0)
Dec: 3 (+2)
Jan: 13 (+4)
Feb: 11 (+2)
Mar: 11 (-2)
Apr: 1 (-3)*

By Day (til mid-April)

Sun: 7 (-4)
Mon: 3 (-1)
Tue: 1 (-2)
Wed: 10 (+1)
Thu: 3 (-1)
Fri: 3 (+2)
Sat: 14 (+8)

jamesdeluxe":lnxq4ire said:

14 days (more than 7oo verts), however the AVSSAV (Average Vertical Size of ski area visited until now) is 342m (1,142ft). :mrgreen:

Here is a reference to last year's discussion...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7907

Tony Crocker":lnxq4ire said:
I'm sure Patrick's not done. :wink:

Something I never do, is take my next ski day for granted. I'm old enough to know that sickness, accidents happen, even off the slope (ie. December back injury or car accident with injury while driving for Tremblant's last year back in 2004). This winter has shown me more than ever, never take anything for granted. Go one day at a time. :(

The events of the last 2 weeks have stressed that more than ever. Ski now, because you'll never know what will happen around the corner. Lucky invited me in the Chic Chocs in May, however I don't even know what I'll do next week, so many things to sort out. I've already burned off 2 weeks off work and just got back this PM. :?

Okay...after the discussion on Fly West Drive East...here are my "to-date" numbers.

44: total days so far (56 at the end of last May)
12 nights (10 last year)

Cascades QC (local): 10
Jay Peak VT: 5
Fortune QC (local): 5
Gray Rocks QC (RIP): 4
Mad River Glen VT: 3
Chic Chocs QC: 3*
Edelweiss QC (local): 3
Le Massif QC: 2
Whiteface NY: 1
Sugarbush VT: 1
Sunday River ME: 1
Chilly QC: 1
Grand Fonds QC: 1*
Sutton QC: 1
Montcalm QC: 1*
Calabogie ON (local): 1
Vorlage QC (local): 1

* new areas

QC/ON local: 20 (8 daylight skiing)** see Fly West/Drive East for reason of distinction.
QC non-local: 13
VT: 9
NY/ME: 2

Daylight days comparison: only skied 25% of those days locally.**

By Month (compare to last year)(end of May):

Oct: 1 (-2)
Nov: 1 (0)
Dec: 1 (-7)
Jan: 9 (-3)
Feb: 9 (-3)
Mar: 13 (+1)
Apr: 6 (-1)
May: 4 (+3)

By Day (til end of May)

Sun: 13 (-2)
Mon: 5 (+1)
Tue: 3 (-1)
Wed: 9 (-4)
Thu: 4 (0)
Fri: 2 (-5)
Sat: 8 (-1)

Harvey44":1wyuhw6k said:
Since presumably enjoyment is the goal ... you can't apply your own criteria to someone else's skiing. I don't buy vertical as a measure.
while I agree with Harv, the reason I'm pressing Tony is because I remember him keeping track of Admin's season totals at some point in the past (days and vertical?) and was curious if he would accept a day comprised of one run and a bowl of chili.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8879

Props to Admin for being honest. :lol:

Patrick, is this your first season without a trip out west?

I didn't count and I doubt I could guess accurately within 10 days. Most days, they don't scan my season pass since I'm a regular so I can't use Killington's tally. When it's good, I ski for at least a few runs. When it's not good, I do something else.

jamesdeluxe":nlbsmtyo said:
Patrick, is this your first season without a trip out west?
Well the season isn't over so... :-k ...I could still make it out to Mammoth or elsewhere. You never know. O:) But if I don't make it out West, it would be far from a rare occurance.

I think the main difference between this season and previous is the very low number of new ski areas + I didn't ski in as many ski areas as usual + and ski much more locally.

Trips:

West:
2007-2008 (twice) in October and February
2005-2006 (three times) JanFeb, June/July and Aug/Sept
2004-2005 in June
2001-2002 in March
1999-2000 in April
1998-1999 in April
1995-1996 in April
1987-1988 in June

Alps:
2002-03 all of March
2000-01 Dec/Jan
1992-93 2 months, Dec and Jan
1990-91 in January

Andes:

jamesdeluxe":31s1dltq said:
So you're disqualifying Admin's one-and-out on rock-hard refrozen at Alta last weekend?
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) I never said "don't count" or "disqualify." By vertical it's probably 15% of an average admin day at Alta or 10% of a good day. Is there something unreasonable about that?

harvey44":31s1dltq said:
I skied for three days with probably less than 2000 feet of vertical total and had the time of my life:
You must have missed my comment about icelantic's ironman feat on April 1.
Tony Crocker":31s1dltq said:
The earn-turns people like icelantic are an exception. His earned 10K on April 1 is an impressive achievement.
Earned turn days are apples and oranges vs. lift service days IMHO.

If people want to use time as a measure of skiing, hours would be better than days.

Back