New Chat Feature

Marc_C

Is there any way to suppress/disable/remove the new chat tabs along the bottom? And the constant network polling activity to edge1rx3.envolve.com (short of mapping it to 127.0.0.0 in the hosts file)?

Nope. At the moment it's an experiment that may or may not remain, depending on reader utilization and user feedback.

jamesdeluxe":21a6igc6 said:
I just had a nice conversation with Felicia FakeName.

Thank you smarta$$. FYI to everyone else, everyone gets a FakeName unless they sign in to the feature.

I guess my monitor is too big. I didn't even notice the boxes for chat until reading this thread. I'm not much of a chat'er though. I'd rather people PM me and i can get back when i have time. But that's just me. Perhaps Admin is trying to bring in the under 25 crowd? :troll: :lol:

EMSC":tim03rjo said:
Perhaps Admin is trying to bring in the under 25 crowd?
That's territory solidly staked out by TGR, where *every* topic eventually becomes a spray-a-thon and any thread longer than a page invariably has someone calling someone else a homo.

jasoncapecod":2tfbi2ms said:
I find it very annoying. I also think it is slowing down the site..

Annoying perhaps, which is why I want the feedback -- good, bad, and indifferent. It loads last, however, so it's not slowing anything down.

Admin":2gibrwm6 said:
It loads last, however, so it's not slowing anything down.
But with the constant poll to the mothership, it's consuming bandwidth and spiking my network traffic, thus making it unavailable for other apps....which can give the appearance of slowing things down.

Marc_C":9vrqjn2p said:
But with the constant poll to the mothership, it's consuming bandwidth and spiking my network traffic, thus making it unavailable for other apps....which can give the appearance of slowing things down.

Have you bothered to measure just how much bandwidth those pings are consuming? It should be negligible.

I'm not saying that this feedback is negative in any way. I want people's honest opinions.

Of note, the chat program's developers are currently participating in a chat discussion here entitled "Feedback on new chat feature" that is currently addressing any bandwidth concerns.

Admin":1k6tdqn9 said:
Have you bothered to measure just how much bandwidth those pings are consuming? It should be negligible.
I'm not saying that this feedback is negative in any way. I want people's honest opinions.
It was enough to trigger a network alert monitor at work today. Not so much the bandwidth as the constant communication, open port, and consumed router connection. Thanks to the new chat feature, I can no longer risk accessing FTO at work.

Edit to add: looks like AdBlock can effectively block anything coming from envolve or quantserve.

Marc_C":p7b0xbxs said:
EMSC":p7b0xbxs said:
Perhaps Admin is trying to bring in the under 25 crowd?
That's territory solidly staked out by TGR, where *every* topic eventually becomes a spray-a-thon and any thread longer than a page invariably has someone calling someone else a homo.

Not true. TGR people are more highly evolved than that. They also call people fags.

I gotta get me a tall tee, dangly suspenders, and a bank robber bandana. TGR is passee. Park rats is where the akshun is

SnowboardBuzz":3236matm said:
Didn't feel any difference in browsing with this new feature. I won't mind if it last
I agree, and it's faster than PMing which in some cases could be usefull.

OK, I've pulled the plug on it.

a) folks weren't using it; and
b) the last straw was finding that when using IE8 on a Vista machine, the it hindered use of the "back" button while reading news articles.

Chalk it up as a failed experiment.

Back