Two Ski Helmet Bills Pass California Legislature

Nice to see they have time for this when there's an unresolved chronic budget deficit of $10 billion ( #-o make that $20 billion). :p

Admin":10yo5g0u said:
it's a matter of personal choice whether or not to wear one.

For me this is the key. I'm up to about 75% helmet use for myself. But there are times I would never want to wear one either, including surprisingly while coaching (bad role model I know). But I need the better hearing allowed by a hat to coach effectively IMO. Or more precisely I have yet to find a helmet that can allow me to be most effective while coaching. Or days that are mostly standing on the ski hill running a race I never wear a helmet, etc... Quite possibly partially because I grew up without them. But I find a hat and integrated jacket hood to be far better on many windy/stormy days too. Helmets just aren't nearly as warm on such days (for me). etc... etc...

I can see some ski area imposed rules around helmets such as the very young kids in formal lessons or if you are entering a terrain park, etc... But for a state to try to mandate it and all the way up to 18? are you going to check drivers licenses for who is 18 vs who is 19? really? etc... A complete waste of time and resources at best. Helmet use is continuing to climb and the vast, vast majority of all kids wear them now anyway. It's a solution looking for a problem and likely was mostly proposed just so that the sponsoring politician can get in the newspapers by bringing up a controversial issue.

my 2c

First of all... why only under 18? If it is that much of an important issue, why not EVERYONE? Rhetorical question only here folks, I think we all can correctly identify the political reasoning for why not adults.

What really concerns me though is the potential for liability. The article did not really specify who is enforcing this legislation (though with a fine involved, I would assume it would have to be a legal authority i.e. a police officer or other such government official?). But what if enforcement is lax or the ski area does not comply. Is that a liability issue? Fine the resort and increase insurance premiums? Could this be an issue that could eventually at some point in the future shut down a resort?

Personally, I never ski without a helmet. Ever. 70 degrees? Helmet is on. Always. But I respect the fact that someone wants to ski when it is 70 without a helmet. And they should not be legally obligated to put a helmet on nor should they be obligated to buy a helmet for their kid. How many helmets will a parent have to buy for a growing kid starting from the time they can first ski? Hmmmm..... seems good for business, surprised the repubs are so much against it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, if I had a kid, I don't care if it costed me a new helmet every year. But I am sick of these reactionary over protective and needless legislative initiatives. I wonder if this would at all effect cross state tourism for CA? Gah. :evil:

Tony Crocker":oefpmsvx said:
The FTO news item attracted the attention of the Mammoth Forum, also a couple of comments about FTO's ads: http://forums.mammothmountain.com/viewt ... =14&t=7303

One of them from Snowman! He of all people should understand the need to pay the bills. =;

Stephen at [url=http://forums.mammothmountain.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7303#p124093 said:
http://forums.mammothmountain.com/viewt ... 03#p124093[/url]":eek:efpmsvx]I believe there's a provision in copyright law that says if your website has too many pop-up ads then you forfeit your right to copyright protection.

Never have, and never will, served a popup ad.

Jerry Brown in 6/16 L.A. Times":1jm1el8c said:
Brown ridiculed legislators for taking too long to act on the budget and having the wrong priorities. He said the governor gives a speech to lawmakers early in the year about his proposed budget, "and then they all go home. They have 4,000 bills that are urgent. They've got to get helmets on young skiers....," he said, referring to a pending Senate bill.

SnowboardBuzz":kfesfint said:
I think this is good for under 18 because majority are newbies at this age so need more protection.
Nah. Too many of them already. Let Darwin sort it all out.

SnowboardBuzz":3sicoyla said:
I think this is good for under 18 because majority are newbies at this age so need more protection.
Some of them are not.

I've never ever will push for mandatory helmets rules on the slopes, the only place where I see a reason it being mandatory is in the park or gates.

This being said, I ask my daughters to wear their helmets (even if she likes to ski without one sometimes).

Any opinions about kids skiing with bike versus ski helmets, especially when it's California skiing in July? 8-[

I've seen a few adults do it on prior California trips, wondering about the protection. (ie. my daughter needs a new helmet and they are pretty hard to find in the right size this time of the year.)

Patrick":zz8o071z said:
Any opinions about kids skiing with bike versus ski helmets, especially when it's California skiing in July? 8-[

I can't imagine that it would be a particularly good plan. Designed for a very different kind of impact regime. How would you fit goggles into the equation?

EMSC":2bdauk9b said:
Patrick":2bdauk9b said:

I can't imagine that it would be a particularly good plan. Designed for a very different kind of impact regime. How would you fit goggles into the equation?

No goggles, just sun glasses. 8) I'm currently searching for a ski helmet that fits her properly (old helmet doesn't fit well anymore, especially without a balaclava). She is do to change it, but I can't find anything in town in June.

Regarding impact, there are no trees, it's going to be mainly corn...just wondering if bike helmet will do. Mind you, we forgot her helmet once and she skied steep glades with frozen moguls at MRG one Spring.

AFAIK this law has not passed, and if it did it would not apply until next season at least. Don't worry about it. I can loan Morgane Adam's old bike helmet if you really want it.

Tony Crocker":28ffyexz said:
AFAIK this law has not passed

Not concern about the law, I could be going to Oregon and I would be asking the same question.

Tony Crocker":28ffyexz said:
Don't worry about it. I can loan Morgane Adam's old bike helmet if you really want it.

Not really worried about it. Morgane has a good bike helmet, I was just thinking about any safety issues about using a bike helmet instead of ski. (says the guys that mostly skis without a helmet). 8-[

Back