SKIING Magazine, R.I.P

That's been rumored for months now, no surprise. Print is the dinosaur that we first recognized it to be 16 years ago. The trend will continue.

To add insult to injury...where is the emoticon that vomits?

Subscribers to Skiing magazine will automatically receive the print edition of Ski magazine for the remainder of their subscription, also published by Bonnier. Or, subscribers can choose to instead receive the electronic edition of Skiing Interactive.

Skiing was in my opinion one of the top US magazine out there, I loved the direction it had gone content wise.

David Goldsmith on Epic":1devx1o4 said:
This suggests something different, albeit scaled back:

do you still publish a paper skiing magazine?
http://www.skinet.com/skiing/answers/ge ... magazine-1

Has something changed in the past 3 weeks?

Admin":1devx1o4 said:
That's been rumored for months now, no surprise. Print is the dinosaur that we first recognized it to be 16 years ago. The trend will continue.

-What is the matter, you don't like books?
James T. Guido: I liked them fine, but a computer takes less space. :mrgreen:

Skip to 3:20 on the clip below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xju998gfA[/youtube]

I sad, that being said, I'm a bigger fan and have a subscription to the Ski Journal. http://www.theskijournal.com

Patrick":ne4u1anf said:
To add insult to injury...where is the emoticon that vomits?

Subscribers to Skiing magazine will automatically receive the print edition of Ski magazine for the remainder of their subscription, also published by Bonnier. Or, subscribers can choose to instead receive the electronic edition of Skiing Interactive.

Skiing was in my opinion one of the top US magazine out there, I loved the direction it had gone content wise.

I agree. Ski is one of the worst magazines out there. I used to read skiing on the subway, and I always thought it was the superior of the two. It's a shame, but I guess I can just hope for wifi in the subways soon. That is if the MTA somehow manages to overthrow their fascist union.

Just like you do now with FTO, right? :wink:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

Admin":2jzfz4ti said:

Well.........uh............yea.........of course!!

(I say prayers of thanksgiving every day to Al Gore who, as we all know, invented the internet)

mobile.png

No question the wrong magazine survived Bonnier's consolidation. Bonnier also owns Warren Miller Entertainment, which sued Warren Miller and Level 1 Films last year. I thought that dispute had been settled, but I have not been able to find any documentation of that.

Tony Crocker":za06tkvb said:
Bonnier also owns Warren Miller Entertainment, which sued Warren Miller and Level 1 Films last year. I thought that dispute had been settled, but I have not been able to find any documentation of that.

Last I heard Miller enjoined himself in the lawsuit and petitioned the court to place the litigation on hold pending the outcome of his own arbitration action against WME:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2 ... -Producer/

Yes, I found Warren Miller articles from last October. Has everything been on hold since then with no new developments?

Admin":1gggjev7 said:

mobile.png
And FTO is free. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to read a magazine online no matter how good it is.

jamesdeluxe":2kfz5po8 said:
Interesting to see if any publications can pull off the pay-for-content format.

I frankly doubt it.

jamesdeluxe":2kfz5po8 said:
The Wall Street Journal's been doing it for a while now.

And from what I'm given to understand not terribly successfully. The New York Times has failed at it as well.

I've been skeptical of the paid content model since FTO's inception 16 years ago, and I remain so. The approach that the publishing dinosaurs are taking is reminiscent to me of the ignorance of the RIAA prosecuting music downloaders rather than modernizing their distribution model. Then again I'm not exactly rolling in dough from FTO, either. Things took a nosedive in online ad revenue when the bottom fell out two years ago and it's only now starting to come back, yet well behind where it was. Still, I believe that:

1. Online content must survive via ad revenue; and
2. Print publications will continue to wither on the vine, particularly as devices like smartphones, tablets and e-book readers proliferate.

I think that rfarren's view represents the majority. People simply won't pay for content when similar, albeit not identical, content is available for free.

I've been trying to be more judicious in my use of emoticons, but this was clearly a case where I should've added them for editorial value.

Interesting to see if any publications can pull off the pay-for-content format. :rotfl:

The Wall Street Journal's been doing it for a while now. ](*,)

Admin":1d8ksdrc said:
jamesdeluxe":1d8ksdrc said:
Interesting to see if any publications can pull off the pay-for-content format.

I frankly doubt it.

jamesdeluxe":1d8ksdrc said:
The Wall Street Journal's been doing it for a while now.

And from what I'm given to understand not terribly successfully. The New York Times has failed at it as well.

I've been skeptical of the paid content model since FTO's inception 16 years ago, and I remain so. The approach that the publishing dinosaurs are taking is reminiscent to me of the ignorance of the RIAA prosecuting music downloaders rather than modernizing their distribution model. Then again I'm not exactly rolling in dough from FTO, either. Things took a nosedive in online ad revenue when the bottom fell out two years ago and it's only now starting to come back, yet well behind where it was. Still, I believe that:

1. Online content must survive via ad revenue; and
2. Print publications will continue to wither on the vine, particularly as devices like smartphones, tablets and e-book readers proliferate.

I think that rfarren's view represents the majority. People simply won't pay for content when similar, albeit not identical, content is available for free.

As of January 2010, the Wall Street Journal had a print circulation of almost 1,700,000 and a paid online cirulation of 1,060,000. So, their paid online model has been somewhat successful. The most successful, by far, has been Consumer Reports magazine where their online circulation is now about equal to their print circulation. Undoubtedly, this is because they offer information that cannot easily be found on other "free" websites. Furthermore, even with Consumer Reports, many people suscrible to their online version for only one month to research a specific potential purchase (I believe it cost only $2.98 per month, although they automatically renew your monthly membership unless you go online and affirmatively de-suscribe). Most other newspapers and magazines that have tried a paid online model have not been nearly as successful as the WSJ or Consumer Reports. I think it is very hard to get people to pay for online content, unless it is truly some sort of unique content NOT available anywhere else and will have some positive financial consequences to the consumer.

Admin":1kanft6k said:
Print publications will continue to wither on the vine, particularly as devices like smartphones, tablets and e-book readers proliferate.

I still find that Magazines can do a better job with
photography related content (esp since they control it's printed size vs having to shrink to obscurity to fit the smallest common monitor size), and for some levels of more "in-depth" articles. It's still a pain to read even a large monitor for information that is particularly long. Since there is usually little to no content that is all that long in newspapers they are dying much faster and harder than magazines. The proof of that is that while some magazines are clearly hurting, just go and look at the local supermarket or bookstore. A huge amount and variety of magazines are still there. We'll see if e-ink and other methods allow for more enjoyable reading of long articles and books (although I'm not paying any $300-$500 for a device just to read a $15 book on. That might just be me though).

Interestingly, Ski Racing magazine went to an on-line only format last season. I didn't read a whole lot of it. I could get the race reports long before the 'magazine' level of content was produced. Leaving some short interest stories of particular racers and situations (waxroom and the like... for those that know it), and some technical info/stories as the only specialized content I couldn't get somewhere else. They tried inserting video clips and the like as well, but those eat up more time than the content was usually worth IMO. Though a good idea to try it out.

EMSC":3t5rxx4i said:
Interestingly, Ski Racing magazine went to an on-line only format last season.

I realize that I'm arguing against my own theories here, but didn't Ski Racing folks decide to partner with someone else to print a paper ski racing journal of some type this winter? I know that I got a press release but I'll be darned if I can find it right now.

Admin":g10615yq said:
didn't Ski Racing folks decide to partner with someone else to print a paper ski racing journal of some type this winter?

I hadn't heard anything like that myself, but I'm a bit less connected than you (even though SR and so many other ski folks are practically at my doorstep. Just too many things to keep track of... esp with the little one now).

SKI Magazine has quietly eliminated its September issue. Gear guide will be October and presumably the lame resort guide (won by Deer Valley last 3 years) will be November.

Back