Introducing Mountain Rider's Alliance

soulskier

mra_logo_1.jpg

Mountain Rider’s Alliance, a Grassroots Movement Changing the Way Ski Areas are Run

A new paradigm is emerging in ski area management: one that’s globally-based, rider-centric, environmentally sustainable, sensitive to local needs, and skier-and-snowboarder-owned

Truckee, California – September 9, 2010 – Rising lift ticket costs, negative impacts on ski communities and the environment, and the desire to combat climate change have all led concerned skiers and snowboarders to form a global collaborative group, Mountain Rider’s Alliance (MRA).
MRA is a movement of snow enthusiasts who are dedicated to changing the ways ski areas are run. MRA’s mission is to create rider-owned-and-operated ski areas that are rider-centric, environmentally sustainable and sensitive to local cultural, social and economic concerns.

All MRA business decisions will be based on three principles. The first principle is operating and developing value-based, rider-centric ski areas that put skier and snowboarder needs and wants first. Secondly, all MRA projects will be environmentally sustainable by creating “ski-energy centers” that strive towards a zero carbon footprint by producing and selling alternative energy to local utilities as well as utilizing the best in green practices. The third element is to be socially responsible to the communities surrounding these mountain playgrounds.

To raise awareness about this new ideological shift in managing ski areas, Mountain Rider's Alliance has launched a website, http://www.MountainRidersAlliance.com, and blog, http://www.MRABlog.com. MRA also has a Facebook Fan Page, and Twitter account, MtnRA.

As MRA identifies potential locations and develops a master plan, the Alliance will offer reasonably-priced investment shares to the global ski community to create true rider-owned resorts who will exercise their ownership rights for the long-term advancement of the sport and not short-term profit. MRA expects to announce the location of the first ski-energy project in December 2010.

Mountain Rider’s Alliance was founded in 2010 as a LLC, incorporated in Wyoming. MRA has established partnerships with like-minded nonprofit organizations including Protect Our Winters, SkiDUCK, Sustenator and Peace Pedalers.

For more information, visit the MRA website, or blog, or contact Mountain Rider’s Alliance directly at info@MountainRidersAlliance.com.

Here's a good read published in the Summit County Citizen's Voice last week.

http://summitcountyvoice.com/2010/09/03 ... -industry/

An excerpt

"SUMMIT COUNTY — When Hal Clifford penned Downhill Slide back in 2002, it was the peak of the go-go years for the ski resort industry. Many ski resort operators were morphing into development companies for whom the skiing and riding were amenities to be used as a marketing tool for real estate sales.
Clifford’s warnings were laughed off or ignored by the short-sighted speculators who were driving the boom. In hindsight, they would have been better off paying attention to his conclusion that the industry’s path was unsustainable.
Nobody thought the end of the boom would come so quickly, though. But now, after a couple of years of moribund sales and almost no new real estate development at major resorts, even the big boys are looking for an alternate vision.
That vision may come from a core group of skiers and riders who want to take the ski industry in a completely new direction, operating areas that are rider-centric, environmentally sustainable and sensitive to local cultural, social and economic concerns."

soulskier":2n8r9xt3 said:
Excerpt of an excerpt: But now, after a couple of years of moribund sales and almost no new real estate development at major resorts, even the big boys are looking for an alternate vision.
That vision may come from a core group of skiers and riders who want to take the ski industry in a completely new direction, operating areas that are rider-centric, environmentally sustainable and sensitive to local cultural, social and economic concerns."

You might want to inform Vail. They've done fairly well and launched a reasonable amount of new RE even during the downturn. Is it the panacea that every mid sized resort thought it was? no way. But the model does still work for some.

Obviously 10,000 sq ft homes are not exactly environmentally sustainable in very large quantities, but is it environmentally friendly to have everyone drive a fair distance every time they ski? Why should I build a house in Denver instead of the mtns? Are the great plains not worth saving? who gets to decide? for that matter why does everyone love NYC? given it's pretty island location it could never even be started to be built today. or etc... (just being devil's advocate)

I think each model can and will work in different locations and with different demographics, terrain, etc... I don't think there is only one way to do ski resorts as seems implied in certain circles. Biggest question is if you do develop base areas, etc.. are you doing it just to do it, or are you really thinking it through for the long term to get it right, size it right, etc... That said, I do love some of the small 'underdeveloped' places like Silverton - but it does take an 8hr drive to get there too.

EMSC":7hrax5r7 said:
You might want to inform Vail. They've done fairly well and launched a reasonable amount of new RE even during the downturn.
I agree. Vail and Whistler have been very successful IMHO. That does not mean that every mid-size destination can copycat the flagship resorts with the same formula and make it work.

Tony Crocker":hf2nvl5n said:
EMSC":hf2nvl5n said:
You might want to inform Vail. They've done fairly well and launched a reasonable amount of new RE even during the downturn.
I agree. Vail and Whistler have been very successful IMHO. That does not mean that every mid-size destination can copycat the flagship resorts with the same formula and make it work.

Speaking of Whistler, have a gander at what Michel Beaudry wrote about the MRA today in Vancouver's Pique News Magazine.

Sliding into the Future
http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/ ... tates+1737

Tony Crocker":2xvm4l63 said:
I suspect Soulskier would approve of the recently completed hydro project on Fitzsimmons Creek between Whistler and Blackcomb.
http://hydro.energy-business-review.com ... nt_100209/
http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article ... pectations
Power produced is supposed to be similar to that consumed by Whistler/Blackcomb's operations. The hydro plant is not operated by W/B but by Innergex Renewable Energy.

I am for anything that helps get off our foreign dependence of oil and reducing fossil fuels. If you have a creek with run-off, seems like a great idea to make energy from it.

The great thing about hydro energy is that it can create energy 24 hours/day and if the creek is year round, 365 days per year.

soulskier":p3jbhn0q said:
Speaking of Whistler, have a gander at what Michel Beaudry wrote about the MRA today in Vancouver's Pique News Magazine.

Sliding into the Future

My browser lists that as a reported attack website. Perhaps erroneously, but could you paste some of the text into a post?

I'd prefer if you didn't, out of respect for copyright. I believe Pique (Whistler, not Vancouver) is clean. I got no false positive when I launched it.

Admin":15fhz33h said:
I'd prefer if you didn't, out of respect for copyright.

OK. I always thought things were fine as long the the proper attribution and the link to the original were given as well.

EMSC":847c30op said:
The great thing about hydro energy is that it can create energy 24 hours/day and if the creek is year round, 365 days per year.
The power is still seasonal. The article said lowest month is February and highest June or July. Nonetheless timing of hydro is much smoother than solar or particularly wind. There are many who think wind will be problematic on a large scale because production is erratic and in many places it produces least when the demand is largest. East Coast windsurfers probably know this already.

EMSC":3tel9qtu said:
Admin":3tel9qtu said:
I'd prefer if you didn't, out of respect for copyright.

OK. I always thought things were fine as long the the proper attribution and the link to the original were given as well.
Quoting excerpts with attribution and including discussion and analysis falls within fair use and is fine. Quoting the entire article does not. In fairness, you [EMSC] did request only "some" of the text.

A link would sure be nice though!

Tony Crocker":u3eaal9l said:
Perhaps part of his MRA plan should involve someone else to do the marketing. Patrick?

Soulskier read this statement and asked me if I could be the point person on this MRA after Tony posted this comment. Although I'm not officially involved, soulskier trusted me with a few of the big lines.

This debate has become so centered on soulskier, the person, when it should focus on MRA.

Mike Bernstein":u3eaal9l said:
Oh BTW, weren't we promised that the MRA would reveal the location of its fist "ski energy center" by the end of December. Clock is ticking and I'd be laughing pretty hard if the MRA chose to make their announcement the week after X-mas when no one is around to read it.

Soulskier asked me to pass this announcement prior to Christmas, but I was extremely busy buying gift, finding ski gear for my racing daughter, going to parties and skiing everyday since. I'm the one that been dragging his feet (no surprise for anyone that knows how fast I've posted TRs in the past.

Before you start saying...I told you so. I totally agree with this approach here and holding off on the details, especially after what happened in the Shames Coop initiative (BTW, Shames lowered it sale price again). MRA is eyeing a specific place, but as it says below, MRA's being prudent on it until certain benchmarks are met.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Just a quick heads up on MRA efforts. We will be holding back on announcing the location of the first MRA ski project until certain business development benchmarks on location are met. We have been communicating with members of the local community as well as some of the corresponding agencies.

We are enthused with the future, and will share information as soon as is prudent to do so. In the meantime, please stay tuned to our blog or facebook page for the latest information.

Blog: http://mrablog.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MountainRidersAlliance

Patrick":e73au0cb said:
Happy Holidays everyone!

Just a quick heads up on MRA efforts. We will be holding back on announcing the location of the first MRA ski project until certain business development benchmarks on location are met. We have been communicating with members of the local community as well as some of the corresponding agencies.

We are enthused with the future, and will share information as soon as is prudent to do so. In the meantime, please stay tuned to our blog or facebook page for the latest information.

In other words, nobody has stepped forward with money to fund the permitting process? I recall it ended up costing Silverton a couple of million bucks and several years of eating Ramen Noodles. I can't imagine that costs have gone down any.

Geoff":cafl3pi1 said:
Patrick":cafl3pi1 said:
Happy Holidays everyone!

In other words, nobody has stepped forward with money to fund the permitting process? I recall it ended up costing Silverton a couple of million bucks and several years of eating Ramen Noodles. I can't imagine that costs have gone down any.

Yea, good luck trying to get permitting anywhere in the US to start a new ski area. With our NIMBY society and federal and state environmental regulations, you'll be tied up for years in court just trying to get the necessary permits to cut one ski trail down a mountain. This is a massive pipe dream.

Geoff":1k2tf4ag said:
I recall it ended up costing Silverton a couple of million bucks and several years of eating Ramen Noodles. I can't imagine that costs have gone down any.

berkshireskier":1k2tf4ag said:
Yea, good luck trying to get permitting anywhere in the US to start a new ski area. With our NIMBY society and federal and state environmental regulations, you'll be tied up for years in court just trying to get the necessary permits to cut one ski trail down a mountain. This is a massive pipe dream.

And yet Silverton DID end up happening...

I also don't recall MRA saying anything about USA or bust either. Canada is much easier to do business with - as far as ski area development at least...

I'm more in line with Tony. I think there are a number of ways to be 'successful' in the ski biz. I just don't expect MRA to magically pull the entire and long list of stated objectives out of the hat all at once... They'll end up being more pragmatic once they dig in IMHO.

EMSC":z4whn5g1 said:
I'm more in line with Tony. I think there are a number of ways to be 'successful' in the ski biz. I just don't expect MRA to magically pull the entire and long list of stated objectives out of the hat all at once... They'll end up being more pragmatic once they dig in IMHO.

That seems reasonable. Also, Soulskier had interest in buying Shames, what's not to say that another small resort with access to great BC doesn't surface to buy going forward. Anyhoo, isn't Shames still available?

Back