Locked anything in for 10-11 yet?

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Re: Locked anything in for 10-11 yet?

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:25 pm

q wrote:heading off for 3 days and two nights in Kalispell.

With the length of that trip, if you're going as far as Kalispell I would allot more time and also keep going across the border to Fernie/Castle. All 3 of these areas are among the most favored by La Nina. I first skied Castle and Fernie March 28-29 of the big 1999 La Nina. None of these places are that good if they get baked by spring sun, but you have a car and can be flexible and the odds are more in your favor this year. Also more in your favor everywhere in Montana.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby tseeb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I have a Squaw Pass that is not valid holidays and Saturdays from January though the 1st half of March. My retirement date is looking like it will be in the first half of Jan. 2011 and I'm hoping to double my 09-10 total of 21 days. I'm also thinking about going to Oregon in Dec. depending on how snow there compares to northen CA.
tseeb

Postby Patrick » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:
admin wrote:Under the right conditions it's a 10-hour drive. Not that crazy.

No it's not crazy at all with more than one driver and a comfortable vehicle. In that era I once drove with Richard through the night to Steamboat and then back from Vail.

Not that crazy??? geez these guys can't even stay awake despite duo snoring for the short 120km drive between Val Paraiso and Santiago. It's not as if they participated in the Chilean nightlife too. :lol: Then I hear, you should rent a car.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby q » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:41 am

Tony Crocker wrote:With the length of that trip, if you're going as far as Kalispell I would allot more time and also keep going across the border to Fernie/Castle. All 3 of these areas are among the most favored by La Nina. I first skied Castle and Fernie March 28-29 of the big 1999 La Nina. None of these places are that good if they get baked by spring sun, but you have a car and can be flexible and the odds are more in your favor this year. Also more in your favor everywhere in Montana.

It's not outwith the realms of impossibility that I wont head to Castle but as always funds and spending time with friends in Philipsburg are a large factor in planning such a long trip. From my base in P-Burg I can realistically get to Great Divide, Snowbowl, Bridger, Big Sky/Moonlight, Lost Trail and Maverick in longer days out.

I've spent a lot of time at Fernie and am not really a fan.
Q
q

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - Avatar: Primer Bowl, Loveland, CO

Postby mikesathome » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Boyne Highlands Middle of Jan (Booked, ski in ski out condo with the family, 16month old first ski trip, tho she wont be skiing)
Tahoe Late FEB (locked in a rental car LOL)
Utah in March or Early April (nothing locked)
For me, skiing is a physical necessity. I have a need for risk.
Jean-Marie Messier

Find me @ http://www.thestreetpost.com
mikesathome

Location: Subs of Detroit Michigan. Avatar: 'The Wall' Kirkwood CA

Postby EMSC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:53 pm

mikesathome wrote:16month old first ski trip, tho she wont be skiing

Why? I've known quite a few 18mo olds where mom or dad pushes them up a bunny hill a ways for 30 or 45 min, etc... Gets'em used to that sliding motion early :-D Just rent the boots/skis as small as they come and don't bother with a ticket obviously...
EMSC

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:04 pm

For the very young kids, we should defer to JSpin. There are devices to use with 2-3 year olds, and I think JSpin bought some of them. Maybe from here: http://www.kidsnskis.com/index.htm I think the guy who sells those ski aids gave a short presentation at NASJA 2000.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby AndreB » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 am

I'm vacilating endlessly in deciding our Spring skiing trip. My wife is a teacher, so we're locked in to 4/16/11 - 4/23/11 somewhere. The plan was to go to Mammoth, but all this La Nina talk has me considering Mt Bachelor instead. Since I'm flying out of Buffalo, I have to decide early, otherwise the limited flight options fill up pretty quickly.
AndreB

Postby J.Spin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:56 am

Tony Crocker wrote:For the very young kids, we should defer to JSpin. There are devices to use with 2-3 year olds, and I think JSpin bought some of them. Maybe from here: http://www.kidsnskis.com/index.htm I think the guy who sells those ski aids gave a short presentation at NASJA 2000.

We got our ski teaching aids from Steve Lathrop’s Apple Rise Sports:

http://www.applerise.com

As far as age goes, with the help of the aids children can basically begin skiing once they can stand. Steve has started kids as young as 7 months old as he indicates on the Apple Rise page. Ty and Dylan both had their first experiences with the equipment around 12 months, which is the way it worked out since they have winter/early spring birthdays. From what I’ve seen, there’s not really any need to start kids that young in terms of their skiing development, it’s just an option if you want to be out there on the slopes with them vs. being on the slopes without them.
J.Spin

Location: Waterbury, Vermont - Image: Skiing Bone Mountain in the Bolton Valley backcountry, VT

Postby mikesathome » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:14 am

Well I had no idea people started with kids at that young of an age!
She has been walking since 11months, really walking good now at 13months, so we will see how it goes but I know mom and dad would LOVE to see her out on the slops even if its just for a moment
For me, skiing is a physical necessity. I have a need for risk.
Jean-Marie Messier

Find me @ http://www.thestreetpost.com
mikesathome

Location: Subs of Detroit Michigan. Avatar: 'The Wall' Kirkwood CA

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Steve Lathrop was the presenter at NASJA 2000. So that's the right source of children's ski aids if you're interested. But just remember the general rule of thumb about getting young kids to ski. 4 is the average starting age; younger than that, they should be asking you or at least showing strong interest.

AndreB wrote:The plan was to go to Mammoth, but all this La Nina talk has me considering Mt Bachelor instead.

The La Nina argues for some caution at Mammoth in early season, but there is little question of an inadequate snowpack in April. But yes, if I had to make the call now with the La Nina I would choose Bachelor if only based upon likely more snow.

Unfortunately there is another issue. Lift operations are often cut back after the 3rd weekend in April. Mt. Bachelor's practice in recent years has been to cut back lift operations (no Northwest, Outback and limited backside access) and hours (close at 1:30PM) after the 3rd weekend in April. There has been no flexibility in that decision, though in fairness I have put a call in to ask if the late Easter might make a difference. The tentative response is that they wait and see how business is going in the spring, but my question is being passed up to the marketing director.

Mammoth has closed Canyon and Eagle Lodges after the 3rd weekend in April in recent years. However, Mammoth's operations are based upon conditions and demand more than the calendar and are still likely to close at 4PM in your time frame. I have called Mammoth and they intend to maintain full operation of lifts and Canyon/Eagle lodges to April 24 because of the late Easter.

Without an expectation of full operating hours and lifts from Mt. Bachelor, I would choose Mammoth for that week despite the La Nina.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby coldsmoke » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:42 pm

AndreB wrote:I'm vacilating endlessly in deciding our Spring skiing trip. My wife is a teacher, so we're locked in to 4/16/11 - 4/23/11 somewhere. The plan was to go to Mammoth, but all this La Nina talk has me considering Mt Bachelor instead. Since I'm flying out of Buffalo, I have to decide early, otherwise the limited flight options fill up pretty quickly.

With the late Easter, Big Sky is open until 4/24. You can ski the last week for real cheap too:

http://www.bigskyresort.com/Activities/Winter/Season_Pass-Sky_Card/Frequent_Sky_Card.asp
coldsmoke

Postby AndreB » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:17 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Unfortunately there is another issue. Lift operations are often cut back after the 3rd weekend in April. Mt. Bachelor's practice in recent years has been to cut back lift operations (no Northwest, Outback and limited backside access) and hours (close at 1:30PM) after the 3rd weekend in April. There has been no flexibility in that decision, though in fairness I have put a call in to ask if the late Easter might make a difference. The tentative response is that they wait and see how business is going in the spring, but my question is being passed up to the marketing director.

Mammoth has closed Canyon and Eagle Lodges after the 3rd weekend in April in recent years. However, Mammoth's operations are based upon conditions and demand more than the calendar and are still likely to close at 4PM in your time frame. I have called Mammoth and they intend to maintain full operation of lifts and Canyon/Eagle lodges to April 24 because of the late Easter.

Without an expectation of full operating hours and lifts from Mt. Bachelor, I would choose Mammoth for that week despite the La Nina.

Thanks for all this. I had inferred from other threads that Bachelor closed at 1pm or so this late in the season. I love that Mammoth will be in full operations (weather permitting) for the duration of our trip. I booked our flight to Reno. I also based this decision partly on the option of skiing some Tahoe resorts for variety or if Mammoth weather/conditions is terrible for some reason. Thanks again.

So, in the spirit of this thread: Wife and I are locked into Tahoe/Mamoth 4/16/11 - 4/23/11. Oh yeah, and a season's pass worth of skiing at my local 800ft ant hill. ](*,)
AndreB

Postby AndreB » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm

coldsmoke wrote:With the late Easter, Big Sky is open until 4/24. You can ski the last week for real cheap too:
http://www.bigskyresort.com/Activities/Winter/Season_Pass-Sky_Card/Frequent_Sky_Card.asp

Good to know, I'm sure we'll make it out there eventually.
AndreB

Postby EMSC » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:51 pm

AndreB wrote:Oh yeah, and a season's pass worth of skiing at my local 800ft ant hill.

Wait, you're not going to regale us with tales of HV and E-ville? It's not exactly bad for what it is and where it is...
EMSC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion