Accuweather's winter forecast

Not rocket science with La Nina this strong. All the predictions will look similar I suspect. Snowfall predictions on that map must be based upon low elevations with modest averages. Snowy mountain locations are rarely as low as 50% or anywhere near 200%. The average snowfall boost or deficit from El Nino or La Nina at sensitive areas is around 15-20%.

Yea, I'm sure the 200% above average number is really just a broad "guesstimate" based on average precipitation amounts over a wide geographic area. Again, I think these long-term forecasts are virtually worthless for trying to figure out what the weather will be like in a specific location over a several month period.

I'm sure the 200% above average number is really just a broad "guesstimate" based on average precipitation amounts over a wide geographic area.
I hope not. If a location averages 20 inches of snow, it might get 40 in a big year. Nearly all areas that average 200 inches never get close to 400. It's a really dumb idea to paint "200%" on a broad section of a map. It's never gonna happen.

Tony Crocker":2ujeilq4 said:
I'm sure the 200% above average number is really just a broad "guesstimate" based on average precipitation amounts over a wide geographic area.
I hope not. If a location averages 20 inches of snow, it might get 40 in a big year. Nearly all areas that average 200 inches never get close to 400. It's a really dumb idea to paint "200%" on a broad section of a map. It's never gonna happen.

I would guess that NOT a lot of scientific analysis went into that 200% figure on the map.

Back