Electronic Doohickies and Gizmos While Skiing

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Electronic Doohickies and Gizmos While Skiing

Postby Marc_C » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Admin wrote:The hip belt and sternum strap of my backpack keep it in place underneath my jacket.

As do the 27 other electronic doohickies and gizmos that he insists on skiing with.
-marc
Marc_C

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Marc_C wrote:
Admin wrote:The hip belt and sternum strap of my backpack keep it in place underneath my jacket.

As do the 27 other electronic doohickies and gizmos that he insists on skiing with.

Defined as:

1. Phone.
2. Helmet with speakers.
3. Avalanche transceiver when warranted.

Which other than the fact that you ski in a hat and not a helmet, is precisely what you ski with.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc_C » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Admin wrote:1. Phone.
2. Helmet with speakers.

Which other than the fact that you ski in a hat and not a helmet, is precisely what you ski with.

Phone -
yes; it's even bluetooth enabled, but I don't own a bluetooth Borg ear implant; no one, ever, needs to be constantly available to the mothership or hive cube
not a smartphone, so no apps to dink around with
don't have to reboot and establish communication protocols with my helmet, gps satellites, and the web

Helmet-
as noted, no, don't own one for skiing
don't have anything requiring speakers or earphones, so I can actually hear what's going on around me

Beacon-
yep, carry it as it's good to stay in the habit

Altimiter/watch thingy-
nope

Electronically actuated butane blowtorch for the carton of smokes-
not that, either

GPS-
nope (note that just 'cause the smartphone replaces several physical devices, dorking around with each app counts as a gizmo)
-marc
Marc_C

Postby socal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Marc_C wrote:
2. Helmet with speakers.

Phone -
yes; it's even bluetooth enabled, but I don't own a bluetooth Borg ear implant; no one, ever, needs to be constantly available to the mothership or hive cube
not a smartphone, so no apps to dink around with
don't have to reboot and establish communication protocols with my helmet, gps satellites, and the web

Helmet-
as noted, no, don't own one for skiing
don't have anything requiring speakers or earphones, so I can actually hear what's going on around me

Beacon-
yep, carry it as it's good to stay in the habit

Altimiter/watch thingy-
nope

Electronically actuated butane blowtorch for the carton of smokes-
not that, either

GPS-
nope (note that just 'cause the smartphone replaces several physical devices, dorking around with each app counts as a gizmo)

Grandpa, is it really that bad to have devices that do more than one thing (ie helmet for keeping your head safe and listening to music/phone)? You know, back in my day we didn't have ski lifts and had to hike uphill both ways to get up and down the mountain.
socal

Postby Marc_C » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 pm

socal wrote:Grandpa, is it really that bad to have devices that do more than one thing (ie helmet for keeping your head safe and listening to music/phone)?

Nah. It's just funny sometimes watching him fiddling with the stuff and teasing about it. There's been more than one bitch session while putting on boots trying to figure out why the phone wasn't communicating with the helmet and having to go through multiple boot cycles....
Last edited by Marc_C on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:24 pm

2. Helmet with speakers.

I've only skied one day in my life with Admin and even I knew that's ^^^ a big load of BOLLOCKS.
jamesdeluxe

Postby rfarren » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 pm

This is funny...I do like how a lighter is now classified as an "electronic doohiky."
Rob
rfarren

Postby Marc_C » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 pm

rfarren wrote:This is funny...I do like how a lighter is now classified as an "electronic doohiky."

Piezo-electric output controlled by embedded microprocessor, which also controls the variable orifice gas jet, the parameters adjusted based on current weather data which are picked up over a bluetooth link to the Palm Pre smartphone.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Marc_C wrote:
rfarren wrote:This is funny...I do like how a lighter is now classified as an "electronic doohiky."

Piezo-electric output controlled by embedded microprocessor, which also controls the variable orifice gas jet, the parameters adjusted based on current weather data which are picked up over a bluetooth link to the Palm Pre smartphone.

Or in my case, an old-fashioned Zippo with a wick and a flint. :roll:

And Marc_C, get with the program...I ditched the Pre for a 4G Android phone a month ago.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby riverc0il » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:58 am

And don't forget that having a bluetooth device means you are permanently plugged in. Heck, I have a Bluetooth device for hands free in the car. But I probably only use 25 minutes per month on my plan.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:32 am

Admin wrote:...get with the program...I ditched the Pre for a 4G Android phone a month ago.

Why? Wasn't the Pre working anymore? I seem to remember one of those endless email argument threads between you, tcope, and skidog extolling the virtues of the Pre, how Android would never amount to anything, and the vast superiority of the Pre.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:29 am

Marc_C wrote:
Admin wrote:...get with the program...I ditched the Pre for a 4G Android phone a month ago.

Why? Wasn't the Pre working anymore? I seem to remember one of those endless email argument threads between you, tcope, and skidog extolling the virtues of the Pre, how Android would never amount to anything, and the vast superiority of the Pre.

I never said that the Android would never amount to anything, that would be ignorant. However, I still believe that webOS is a superior phone operating system. I just got sick of waiting for a critical mass of developer support that might never come, kind of like Forrest Gump waiting for the bus.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby socal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Admin wrote:
Marc_C wrote:

I never said that the Android would never amount to anything, that would be ignorant. However, I still believe that webOS is a superior phone operating system. I just got sick of waiting for a critical mass of developer support that might never come, kind of like Forrest Gump waiting for the bus.

I'll stick with the off topic theme and agree with your statement above. WebOS is great but at this point I wouldn't consider buying a WebOS device because of the lack of developer support. Plus I hate the form factor of the Pre (they need just a slab like every other smart phone out there).
socal

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 pm

socal wrote:Plus I hate the form factor of the Pre (they need just a slab like every other smart phone out there).

It's coming in the form of the new Pre3 this summer:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre3/

It will have an impressive 1.4 GHz processor. At the same time they're releasing a new Pre with the same form factor as the current one for those who prefer a smaller phone, the new HP Veer...

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/veer/index.html

plus HP's first webOS tablet:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/pads/to ... index.html

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Admin wrote:
socal wrote:Plus I hate the form factor of the Pre (they need just a slab like every other smart phone out there).

It's coming in the form of the new Pre3 this summer:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre3/

It will have an impressive 1.4 GHz processor. At the same time they're releasing a new Pre with the same form factor as the current one for those who prefer a smaller phone, the new HP Veer...

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why I need a smartphone. Or more specifically, why I need to spend a big portion of a seasons pass $$$ to, um, "enjoy" the "benefits" of one.
-marc
Marc_C

Next

Return to General Discussion