Electronic Doohickies and Gizmos While Skiing

Marc_C

Admin":361njtni said:
The hip belt and sternum strap of my backpack keep it in place underneath my jacket.
As do the 27 other electronic doohickies and gizmos that he insists on skiing with.

Marc_C":390d6uzm said:
Admin":390d6uzm said:
The hip belt and sternum strap of my backpack keep it in place underneath my jacket.
As do the 27 other electronic doohickies and gizmos that he insists on skiing with.

Defined as:

1. Phone.
2. Helmet with speakers.
3. Avalanche transceiver when warranted.

Which other than the fact that you ski in a hat and not a helmet, is precisely what you ski with.

Admin":1rqc0air said:
1. Phone.
2. Helmet with speakers.

Which other than the fact that you ski in a hat and not a helmet, is precisely what you ski with.
Phone -
yes; it's even bluetooth enabled, but I don't own a bluetooth Borg ear implant; no one, ever, needs to be constantly available to the mothership or hive cube
not a smartphone, so no apps to dink around with
don't have to reboot and establish communication protocols with my helmet, gps satellites, and the web

Helmet-
as noted, no, don't own one for skiing
don't have anything requiring speakers or earphones, so I can actually hear what's going on around me

Beacon-
yep, carry it as it's good to stay in the habit

Altimiter/watch thingy-
nope

Electronically actuated butane blowtorch for the carton of smokes-
not that, either

GPS-
nope (note that just 'cause the smartphone replaces several physical devices, dorking around with each app counts as a gizmo)

Marc_C":3tysj720 said:
Admin":3tysj720 said:
1. Phone.
2. Helmet with speakers.

Phone -
yes; it's even bluetooth enabled, but I don't own a bluetooth Borg ear implant; no one, ever, needs to be constantly available to the mothership or hive cube
not a smartphone, so no apps to dink around with
don't have to reboot and establish communication protocols with my helmet, gps satellites, and the web

Helmet-
as noted, no, don't own one for skiing
don't have anything requiring speakers or earphones, so I can actually hear what's going on around me

Beacon-
yep, carry it as it's good to stay in the habit

Altimiter/watch thingy-
nope

Electronically actuated butane blowtorch for the carton of smokes-
not that, either

GPS-
nope (note that just 'cause the smartphone replaces several physical devices, dorking around with each app counts as a gizmo)

Grandpa, is it really that bad to have devices that do more than one thing (ie helmet for keeping your head safe and listening to music/phone)? You know, back in my day we didn't have ski lifts and had to hike uphill both ways to get up and down the mountain.

socal":1fkis8ql said:
Grandpa, is it really that bad to have devices that do more than one thing (ie helmet for keeping your head safe and listening to music/phone)?
Nah. It's just funny sometimes watching him fiddling with the stuff and teasing about it. There's been more than one bitch session while putting on boots trying to figure out why the phone wasn't communicating with the helmet and having to go through multiple boot cycles....

Admin":jbkbdt1c said:
1. Phone.
2. Helmet with speakers.
I've only skied one day in my life with Admin and even I knew that's ^^^ a big load of BOLLOCKS.

rfarren":107c6dvp said:
This is funny...I do like how a lighter is now classified as an "electronic doohiky."
Piezo-electric output controlled by embedded microprocessor, which also controls the variable orifice gas jet, the parameters adjusted based on current weather data which are picked up over a bluetooth link to the Palm Pre smartphone.

Marc_C":1q5pi7r2 said:
rfarren":1q5pi7r2 said:
This is funny...I do like how a lighter is now classified as an "electronic doohiky."
Piezo-electric output controlled by embedded microprocessor, which also controls the variable orifice gas jet, the parameters adjusted based on current weather data which are picked up over a bluetooth link to the Palm Pre smartphone.

Or in my case, an old-fashioned Zippo with a wick and a flint. :roll:

And Marc_C, get with the program...I ditched the Pre for a 4G Android phone a month ago.

rfarren":10etspmn said:
And don't forget that having a bluetooth device means you are permanently plugged in. Heck, I have a Bluetooth device for hands free in the car. But I probably only use 25 minutes per month on my plan.

Admin":3re86fsw said:
...get with the program...I ditched the Pre for a 4G Android phone a month ago.
Why? Wasn't the Pre working anymore? I seem to remember one of those endless email argument threads between you, tcope, and skidog extolling the virtues of the Pre, how Android would never amount to anything, and the vast superiority of the Pre.

Marc_C":21s6kcz9 said:
Admin":21s6kcz9 said:
Why? Wasn't the Pre working anymore? I seem to remember one of those endless email argument threads between you, tcope, and skidog extolling the virtues of the Pre, how Android would never amount to anything, and the vast superiority of the Pre.

I never said that the Android would never amount to anything, that would be ignorant. However, I still believe that webOS is a superior phone operating system. I just got sick of waiting for a critical mass of developer support that might never come, kind of like Forrest Gump waiting for the bus.

Admin":2e0kmgn5 said:
Marc_C":2e0kmgn5 said:
Admin":2e0kmgn5 said:

I never said that the Android would never amount to anything, that would be ignorant. However, I still believe that webOS is a superior phone operating system. I just got sick of waiting for a critical mass of developer support that might never come, kind of like Forrest Gump waiting for the bus.

I'll stick with the off topic theme and agree with your statement above. WebOS is great but at this point I wouldn't consider buying a WebOS device because of the lack of developer support. Plus I hate the form factor of the Pre (they need just a slab like every other smart phone out there).

socal":1x5koldm said:
Plus I hate the form factor of the Pre (they need just a slab like every other smart phone out there).

It's coming in the form of the new Pre3 this summer:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre3/

It will have an impressive 1.4 GHz processor. At the same time they're releasing a new Pre with the same form factor as the current one for those who prefer a smaller phone, the new HP Veer...

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/veer/index.html

plus HP's first webOS tablet:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/pads/to ... index.html

Admin":2i4kmt86 said:
socal":2i4kmt86 said:
Plus I hate the form factor of the Pre (they need just a slab like every other smart phone out there).

It's coming in the form of the new Pre3 this summer:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre3/

It will have an impressive 1.4 GHz processor. At the same time they're releasing a new Pre with the same form factor as the current one for those who prefer a smaller phone, the new HP Veer...
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why I need a smartphone. Or more specifically, why I need to spend a big portion of a seasons pass $$$ to, um, "enjoy" the "benefits" of one.

Marc_C":2hzcxytc said:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why I need a smartphone. Or more specifically, why I need to spend a big portion of a seasons pass $$$ to, um, "enjoy" the "benefits" of one.

Or just tell me why I need new skis, or a new car, or new climbing shoes. It's just a personal purchasing choice that doesn't match yours. I, for example, am sitting here listening to Pandora via bluetooth stereo headphones while I'm working. For FTO biz, I'm also able to check the Twitter and FB accounts that my employer doesn't allow me to access via their network.

And $199 for my new Epic 4G is hardly "a big portion of a seasons pass $$$."

Admin":1q9p7cc8 said:

It would be over here in Colo... :rotfl: :stir: :troll:

JK

I just upgraded to an android a month ago too... great stuff for what I personally do and need.

EMSC":i8121r5z said:
Admin":i8121r5z said:

Oh, how true! But I wrote that knowing that Marc_C is in the $1499 pass club.

Admin":2rrff2h0 said:
EMSC":2rrff2h0 said:
Admin":2rrff2h0 said:

Oh, how true! But I wrote that knowing that Marc_C is in the $1499 pass club.

Isn't that about the true cost of the phone if you include service? Figure at best $60/month for 24 months =$1,440. I think that's what Marc_C was referring too.

BTW, really like the new tablet they're going to release. The Pre 3 has a 3.8 inch screen which is too small for me and the shape is just too round and thick. Don't mean to hate on these devices but why not just release something that looks like what millions of people are actually buying.

socal":3f4iy0l4 said:
Isn't that about the true cost of the phone if you include service? Figure at best $60/month for 24 months =$1,440. I think that's what Marc_C was referring too.

My cost differential is $12/month over a "dumbphone" plan, so no, still not into Marc_C's territory.

socal":3f4iy0l4 said:
BTW, really like the new tablet they're going to release. The Pre 3 has a 3.8 inch screen which is too small for me and the shape is just too round and thick. Don't mean to hate on these devices but why not just release something that looks like what millions of people are actually buying.

There are two theories to that, the other being to differentiate yourself in the marketplace.

Back