Electronic Doohickies and Gizmos While Skiing

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:27 pm

Marc_C wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why I need a smartphone. Or more specifically, why I need to spend a big portion of a seasons pass $$$ to, um, "enjoy" the "benefits" of one.


Or just tell me why I need new skis, or a new car, or new climbing shoes. It's just a personal purchasing choice that doesn't match yours. I, for example, am sitting here listening to Pandora via bluetooth stereo headphones while I'm working. For FTO biz, I'm also able to check the Twitter and FB accounts that my employer doesn't allow me to access via their network.

And $199 for my new Epic 4G is hardly "a big portion of a seasons pass $$$."
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby EMSC » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 pm

Admin wrote:And $199 for my new Epic 4G is hardly "a big portion of a seasons pass $$$."


It would be over here in Colo... :rotfl: :stir: :troll:

JK

I just upgraded to an android a month ago too... great stuff for what I personally do and need.
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:00 pm

EMSC wrote:
Admin wrote:And $199 for my new Epic 4G is hardly "a big portion of a seasons pass $$$."


It would be over here in Colo... :rotfl: :stir: :troll:


Oh, how true! But I wrote that knowing that Marc_C is in the $1499 pass club.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby socal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Admin wrote:
EMSC wrote:
Admin wrote:And $199 for my new Epic 4G is hardly "a big portion of a seasons pass $$$."


It would be over here in Colo... :rotfl: :stir: :troll:


Oh, how true! But I wrote that knowing that Marc_C is in the $1499 pass club.


Isn't that about the true cost of the phone if you include service? Figure at best $60/month for 24 months =$1,440. I think that's what Marc_C was referring too.

BTW, really like the new tablet they're going to release. The Pre 3 has a 3.8 inch screen which is too small for me and the shape is just too round and thick. Don't mean to hate on these devices but why not just release something that looks like what millions of people are actually buying.
socal
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: LA

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:37 pm

socal wrote:Isn't that about the true cost of the phone if you include service? Figure at best $60/month for 24 months =$1,440. I think that's what Marc_C was referring too.


My cost differential is $12/month over a "dumbphone" plan, so no, still not into Marc_C's territory.

socal wrote:BTW, really like the new tablet they're going to release. The Pre 3 has a 3.8 inch screen which is too small for me and the shape is just too round and thick. Don't mean to hate on these devices but why not just release something that looks like what millions of people are actually buying.


There are two theories to that, the other being to differentiate yourself in the marketplace.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Admin wrote:
socal wrote:Isn't that about the true cost of the phone if you include service? Figure at best $60/month for 24 months =$1,440. I think that's what Marc_C was referring too.

Exactly.
Admin wrote:My cost differential is $12/month over a "dumbphone" plan, so no, still not into Marc_C's territory.

$12/month cost differential? What are you using as the base? My 450 minutes/month* phone plan is $40/month. Text messages (250 / month) adds $5. Taxes and fees bring the total to $50 - pretty much the upper limit of my comfort zone for a monthly cell phone payment.

The other problem with smartphones is their form factor - my little clamshell Motorola fits easily and unobtrusively in any pocket. Not quite the case with the slab-o-glass.

*: of that 450 minutes (and unlimited weekend minutes) I use maybe 100 minutes in a high usage month.
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Marc_C wrote:
Admin wrote:
socal wrote:Isn't that about the true cost of the phone if you include service? Figure at best $60/month for 24 months =$1,440. I think that's what Marc_C was referring too.

Exactly.
Admin wrote:My cost differential is $12/month over a "dumbphone" plan, so no, still not into Marc_C's territory.

$12/month cost differential? What are you using as the base? My 450 minutes/month* phone plan is $40/month. Text messages (250 / month) adds $5. Taxes and fees bring the total to $50 - pretty much the upper limit of my comfort zone for a monthly cell phone payment.


My total bill including voice (same number of minutes as you), unlimited data, unlimited text, replacement insurance (which you opt to not purchase, but that's understandable on a $50 phone), taxes, fees, etc., is $67/month. $17/month difference x12 months/yr = $204. $199 even amortized over 2 years is only $99.50/yr, but assuming that you're using a $50 dumbphone that amortizes to $25/yr, the difference is $74.50/yr to upgrade. $74.50 equipment + $204 service = a difference of $278.50 annually.

I therefore still emphatically deny your "big chunk of a $1499 season pass" argument. Man, you are a crotchedy old coot, aren't you?
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Admin wrote:I therefore still emphatically deny your "big chunk of a $1499 season pass" argument. Man, you are a crotchedy old coot, aren't you?

The last time I checked (probably 3 years ago, when I was forced to get a new phone*), an unlimited data plan was $99/month additional to the $40/month for phone service plus $199 for the phone itself. That works out to around $150/month = $1800/yr. I guess they're cheaper now.

Yes, I typically use a cell phone till it doesn't work. I bought my first phone in 1999. My current one is only my third. Did I mention I don't attach a lot of weight to being in constant contact? Also, frankly, I just don't like phones that much. And, first and foremost, I expect a phone to reliably and consistently be able to make and receive phone calls - all the rest is just additional BS.

*: My second phone was lost in Mineral Basin thanks to a head-first on-my-back fall under the top of the MBX lift and an inadvertently unzipped pocket. Someone eventually found it and Snowbird returned it to me about two months later. It still worked.

Now tablets....that's a whole different value proposition.
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Marc_C wrote:The last time I checked (probably 3 years ago, when I was forced to get a new phone*), an unlimited data plan was $99/month additional to the $40/month for phone service plus $199 for the phone itself. That works out to around $150/month = $1800/yr. I guess they're cheaper now.


The $15/month I'm currently paying for unlimited data is the highest rate I've ever paid for it. Sprint has long offered dirt-cheap data plans compared to its competitors.

Marc_C wrote:I expect a phone to reliably and consistently be able to make and receive phone calls - all the rest is just additional BS.


Actually, I positively despise talking on the phone. It's the other properties of a smartphone that I have more use for.

Marc_C wrote:Now tablets....that's a whole different value proposition.


A modern smartphone is obviously more akin to a tablet than you realize. It's basically a tablet that fits in your pocket. There's a reason that they use the same operating systems and applications...
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Marc_C » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Admin wrote:
Marc_C wrote:Now tablets....that's a whole different value proposition.


A modern smartphone is obviously more akin to a tablet than you realize. It's basically a tablet that fits in your pocket. There's a reason that they use the same operating systems and applications...

Oh, I'm well aware of all that. A smartphone is just a botched implementation of a tablet! Actually to be really accurate and fair, the iPod Touch was the truly botched implementation of a tablet.

Nah....they all have their place....
I'm kinda rough on cellphones, so the slab of glass has some inherent difficulties...and while protective cases work, they add a surprising amount of bulk (one of the reasons you never see my phone in the leather cover that came with it). The form factor is not particularly well suited to phone calls, either (and no, I don't want another dongle like a bluetooth earpiece or earphone to deal with for phone calls).

So, you gonna split out all this severely OT rambling?
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby socal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

Marc_C wrote: they add a surprising amount of bulk (one of the reasons you never see my phone in the leather cover that came with it).


:rotfl:

I never thought it was possible to be talking about top of the line new gadgets and "leather cover"s at the same time. I kinda look at it as the same reason we don't talk about leather boots and skinny skis at the same time as big rockered powder skis.
socal
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:27 pm
Location: LA

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Marc_C wrote:So, you gonna split out all this severely OT rambling?


Nope. Into what, really?
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm

socal wrote:
Marc_C wrote: they add a surprising amount of bulk (one of the reasons you never see my phone in the leather cover that came with it).


:rotfl:

I never thought it was possible to be talking about top of the line new gadgets and "leather cover"s at the same time. I kinda look at it as the same reason we don't talk about leather boots and skinny skis at the same time as big rockered powder skis.


Hear, hear! Hail to Invisible Shield.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby baldyskier » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:54 pm

Admin wrote:
Marc_C wrote:
Admin wrote:The hip belt and sternum strap of my backpack keep it in place underneath my jacket.

As do the 27 other electronic doohickies and gizmos that he insists on skiing with.


Defined as:

1. Phone.
2. Helmet with speakers.
3. Avalanche transceiver when warranted.

Which other than the fact that you ski in a hat and not a helmet, is precisely what you ski with.


What are the advantages of speakers vs. earbuds?
User avatar
baldyskier
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Re: Powder Mountain, UT 2/13/11

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm

baldyskier wrote:What are the advantages of speakers vs. earbuds?


When I wrote "speakers" it would be more more accurate to have said "over the ear headphones" that are built into the helmet's ear pads. First off, I can't stomach earbuds in any situation - they hurt my ears and they have to be aligned perfectly for decent sound quality. My helmet's headphones don't feel any different than regular helmet earpads and honestly, they sound great. They're Motorola Tune-Ups, designed as an add-on for Giro ski and snowboard helmets.

Second, with the Tune-Ups I have no wires - the headphones connect wirelessly to my phone and/or mp3 player via bluetooth, and the helmet has controls for next/last song, play/pause, volume up/down and answer/terminate phone call that can all be manipulated with gloves on and therefore eliminate the need to dig the phone out of my jacket pocket.


Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use