Colorado: Surge in Demand for Skiing Predicted in Coming Dec

We've had discussion about this before. In fact, I believe Patrick has said that demographics show fewer skiers in the future. I've always felt there would be more skiers as the American West has built population faster than pretty much the rest of the country. I think the end of this will be more skiers on limited terrain, which will mean a higher demand for strong infrastructure. I would imagine the large resorts with their locals cheap approach will gain the most in terms of on mountain numbers.

I have consistently disagreed with Patrick on this issue. Skier visits are trending up in the U.S. But that growth is likely coming from the younger generation as the baby boomers retire.
rfarren":3okf82dn said:
the large resorts with their locals cheap approach will gain the most in terms of on mountain numbers.
I agree. The demand for skiing is there but with the trend to younger skiers (plus the economy) there's more price sensitivity than a few years ago. Thus market segmentation will continue with the value season passes combined with premium pricing for the holiday period and affluent niche markets.

Back