Happy Skier Index

How you someone complain about crowds when they are part of the crowding problem??? ](*,)

Or... if you don't like the crowds, ski at a struggling family owned ski area. Isn't that the MO of MRA any ways? Why are MRA supports going to the corporate ski areas? And then complaining about too many skiers when they are part of that very problem?

It is easy to suggest that too much of the expensive prices are lining the pockets of corporate execs while starving the locals. But last I checked, you still have to start with a large fortune to make a small one in the ski industry. And if the ground service workers were not making enough money to make a decent living, I imagine that they might have found other employment or moved somewhere where jobs pay better.

Just for the record, I am a left wing progressive type. So I am not unsympathetic. But I am also not unrealistic, either. Capping skier visits? WHAT THE HELL?!?! Do you want to see ski areas go out of business and mass lay offs?

By the way, some of the biggest smiles I get at big name resorts. I get the same smiles for different reasons at small mountains, old school mountains, state owned mountains, backcountry, where ever. If I stop smiling because of the crowds, I remove myself from that location (i.e. you won't see me at Loon or Sunday River on a mid-winter weekend EVER).

If you are skiing and you ain't smiling, you are the problem. Not the other skiers around you.

Back