Wi Fi on a ski lift?

Topics of a general nature regarding snowsports, which don't easily fit into one of our other Liftlines categories. This is also the place to post Letters to the Editor.

Wi Fi on a ski lift?

Postby berkshireskier » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:25 pm

I see from one of the articles on the front page of the site that Vail is replacing one of their chairlifts with a state-of-the-art gondola that will have free Wi Fi for its passengers. Does anyone think this is a good idea?? I already hate it when people start yakking on their cell phones when riding up a lift, but now people will be surfing the internet on their way up the hill or checking emails. UGH. Can't people just enjoy being out in nature when they are skiing??
berkshireskier

Re: Wi Fi on a ski lift?

Postby soulskier » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:26 pm

At our Manitoba Mountain project, we intend to have wifi so that you can download and track actual snow conditions off piste in real time on your smart phone.

I predict Tony C will be monitoring the situation from his laptop somewhere.
http://www.MountainRidersAlliance.com
soulskier

Postby rfarren » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:41 pm

It is true that skiing is my escape from work, my meditative moment where all I focus on is a turn at a time, a movement at a time, but I'm not sure I'm against this. Life doesn't stop when you're on the mountain and Vail's clientele base will probably benefit well from this. I've been working so incredibly hard this year I doubt I'll be able to go skiing even one day. If my work was the type in which I could have my cake and eat it too because lifts had wifi I would be more than happy. Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.
Rob
rfarren

Postby soulskier » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:10 pm

rfarren wrote:It is true that skiing is my escape from work, my meditative moment where all I focus on is a turn at a time, a movement at a time, but I'm not sure I'm against this. Life doesn't stop when you're on the mountain and Vail's clientele base will probably benefit well from this. I've been working so incredibly hard this year I doubt I'll be able to go skiing even one day. If my work was the type in which I could have my cake and eat it too because lifts had wifi I would be more than happy. Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.

A wise guy once told me, "Make your job your hobby or your hobby your job."

Happy Holidays Rob!
soulskier

Postby EMSC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:00 pm

rfarren wrote:Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.

Not sure if that is a "Yikes" quote, or you're going to be financially set for a while and be skiing a LOT more after a one time, big career push. Hopefully the latter for you and your wife.
EMSC

Postby rfarren » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 pm

EMSC wrote:
rfarren wrote:Sadly, my work will probably prohibit my ability to go skiing for at least this year, and if not the next 2 or 3.

Not sure if that is a "Yikes" quote, or you're going to be financially set for a while and be skiing a LOT more after a one time, big career push. Hopefully the latter for you and your wife.

More the latter. I'm in the middle of a big time career push, and any sort of injury would be disastrous right now, not to mention I don't have a cent to spend on skiing this year as it's all tied up. If all goes well I'll be able to ski for as many days as I want for a long time.

soulskier wrote:A wise guy once told me, "Make your job your hobby or your hobby your job."

That's actually the case in my situation. Oddly enough, I've been so focused on work I haven't even thought about skiing until yesterday which was literally the first day I've had off in a stretch of fifteen days of fifteen hour work days. Frankly, I don't think it'll be too bad. The only thing that bothers me is that skiing allows me to live in the moment away from all the big issues, if at least for a turn at a time.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:06 am

He's young. We may all be quite envious a decade from now.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby soulskier » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:56 am

rfarren wrote:
soulskier wrote:A wise guy once told me, "Make your job your hobby or your hobby your job."

That's actually the case in my situation. Oddly enough, I've been so focused on work I haven't even thought about skiing until yesterday which was literally the first day I've had off in a stretch of fifteen days of fifteen hour work days. Frankly, I don't think it'll be too bad. The only thing that bothers me is that skiing allows me to live in the moment away from all the big issues, if at least for a turn at a time.

Well if the start is any indicator, you pick the right season not to make time to ski. Happy holidays!
soulskier

Postby rfarren » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:03 pm

soulskier wrote:
Well if the start is any indicator, you pick the right season not to make time to ski. Happy holidays!

In my business it's really important to think about what quarter your product releases. I'm working like crazy to have everything set for the first quarter of this year so as to have the rest of the year set. It doesn't seem to have mattered much anyways as based on what I've seen there isn't much snow anywhere so far this year.

It's been pretty nice to have had the last 3 days off.
Rob
rfarren

Postby q » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:30 pm

No job unless it leads to very very quick retirement is and ever will be worth it.

I'm a contractor, not a well paid one but a contractor non the less and I work by only one rule. I go on holiday for 4-5 weeks in March, happy? If so I come back to work in April if not I hand in my notice the week before I leave. F&ck them.

Merry Christmas everyone :-D
Q
q

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - Avatar: Primer Bowl, Loveland, CO

Postby q » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:33 pm

Just to add though, I think wi-fi on a lift is a dreadful idea and not needed for any worthwhile reason.
Q
q

Postby Marc_C » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:13 pm

q wrote:No job unless it leads to very very quick retirement is and ever will be worth it.

I'm a contractor, not a well paid one but a contractor non the less and I work by only one rule. I go on holiday for 4-5 weeks in March, happy? If so I come back to work in April if not I hand in my notice the week before I leave. F&ck them.

Well, I suppose that's one way to build a reputation as a contractor for return and future engagements.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Marc_C wrote:
q wrote:No job unless it leads to very very quick retirement is and ever will be worth it.

Well, I suppose that's one way to build a reputation as a contractor for return and future engagements.

You mean you don't have a powder day clause in your employment contract?
Geoff

Postby q » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:03 am

Marc_C wrote:Well, I suppose that's one way to build a reputation as a contractor for return and future engagements.

No, it's what's known as having a life and balls. It's also rather amazingly known as "holiday entitlement" which may be alien to American's but I have the same rights as any of my "staff" colleagues which entitles me to the same number of days as they get which is ~32-35.

My reputation is perfectly fine and taking 90% of my holidays during a period when nobody else wants to and working practically every day between trips works but they know what they can do when it does not suit them 8)
Q
q

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:37 am

I'll have to speak up a bit for q on this one. It's rare in the US but for the last 7 years I was working I got a similar amount of time off due to 25 years service and a PTO system. With regard to when I took time off, one year I was in a job where they didn't let me off during Adam's spring break (end of first quarter), so I transferred to another department within 6 months of that incident. I avoided accounting-intensive positions that tended to have a lot of first quarter inflexible deadlines. One of the reasons ski trips didn't bother most of my superiors much is that the vast majority of them were long weekends or one week trips. It only seemed to be the rare occasions I would be gone for 3 weeks that a lot of advance notice and preparation was required.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Next

Return to General Discussion