New: Ski News via RSS feed

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use an RSS news reader or aggregator? How about My Yahoo! or My MSN? If your answer is "yes," you may now subscribe to our new XML ski news feed via one of the buttons below:

Receive original ski and snowboard news articles from our Ski News section the moment they go to press, whether as a module in My Yahoo! or My MSN, or in a standalone RSS client. Clients are available for all operating systems, even PDAs and mobile phones!

Are we talking Greek to you? Click here for a brief introduction to RSS.

I'd be interested to know if there's any demand out there for an RSS delivery of these Liftlines user forums, too.

=D>

awesome! i really have not gotten into RSS, but when i noticed vt-l went RSS and saw FTO news as well, i knew it was time. the summary of the FTO RSS is really helpful in determining which articles to pass by and which are of interest. and being able to read vt-l in a friendly format makes reading much better! was previously getting daily emails with a HTML lay out, but the clickable drop down headlines are awesome! definitely digging it. too bad i don't have a paid account on livejournal or else i could add these feeds directly to my friends page! :lol:

riverc0il":2p11ivip said:
too bad i don't have a paid account on livejournal or else i could add these feeds directly to my friends page! :lol:

Hmmm...I was heretofore unfamiliar with LiveJournal, but looking at their site's account features list I see this:

Code:
                                                                         Free       Paid 
View external content feeds via XML/RSS/Atom on your friends page          X         X

I'm guessing this is what you're talking about? If so, you can do it with a free account, too.

free accounts can view a feed but it has to be set up by a paid account from what i have read. unless i misread the documentation. i set up the feeds through bloglines, just as well i think since there are so many entries on a daily basis.

sweet! finally figured out how to add an RSS feed as a 'live bookmark' in firefox! :lol: 8) \:D/ i love this technology! i can even tell which items have been read because the icon changes from a document to the snowflake bookmark icon after reading. sha-weet!

i still prefer the forums for user to user dialogue. i don't think i would utilize RSS for forum stuff. though, considering i bring up liftlines with a 'new post only' search, it would essentially be the same thing i guess.

in any case, firefox continues to rock my world and redefine web browsing.

I'm really enjoying having this integrated into my Outlook via Newsgator.

Really handy, plus I never used to read the skinews, i only looked in the forum. So now i get a whole lot more...

Also found out how to get that "Live Bookmarks" icon
screen-firefox-rss-icon.png
to show up in Firefox. Add this to your page head:

Code:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="First Tracks!! Online" href="http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/skinews.xml">

AlpineZone":236wnts7 said:
Also found out how to get that "Live Bookmarks" icon
screen-firefox-rss-icon.png
to show up in Firefox. Add this to your page head:

Code:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="First Tracks!! Online" href="http://www.firsttracksonline.com/news/skinews.xml">

Dang! I thought we did. i'll attend to it. thanks!

sven":2mw9xkro said:
Hey - unrelated post here, but the link to this section (liftlines) from the "Cant see the table of contents? Click here" is broken - It tries to goto http://www.firsttracksonline.com/discus/ Just thought I'd tell you

Sven

Thanks, Sven! All fixed.

And AZ, or anyone else...we had that code on the page, but the orange RSS icon doesn't appear in Firefox. I suspect that it has to do with the framing of our pages. Anyone know how to get that to work within frames? I've searched and searched, without success.

Admin":19qotwac said:
And AZ, or anyone else...we had that code on the page, but the orange RSS icon doesn't appear in Firefox. I suspect that it has to do with the framing of our pages. Anyone know how to get that to work within frames? I've searched and searched, without success.
Can you add it to the frameset page? Just an FYI - even if I pull the article page out of the frameset, I don't see the icon in FF...

AlpineZone":3p136j9v said:
Can you add it to the frameset page? Just an FYI - even if I pull the article page out of the frameset, I don't see the icon in FF...

I tried both the frameset, and each individual frame. There's a javascript that automatically inserts the frame into the parent frameset if the page is accessed directly, say from a search engine hit, etc. I see the button momentarily before the frameset is loaded, then it's gone, which is what convinces me that's the source of the problem.

Back