Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

New FTO format is live!

Here you'll find helpful tips regarding the operation of the Discussion Boards at First Tracks!! Online, as well as general announcements for our users.

New FTO format is live!

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:13 pm

Admin
Site Admin

re: New FTO format is live!

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:53 pm

The Features - Resorts and Destinations section is now sequential in reverse order by date of publication. Is there still a menu where they are organized by region, then state or province etc. (if not, there should be)? It is also incomplete, as there are no Western Canada features on the 3-page sequential list for example. Perhaps you have migrated some but not all feature articles to the new format so far. At the moment the other features are accessible only via "Access the Old Site," right?
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Re: re: New FTO format is live!

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:01 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:The Features - Resorts and Destinations section is now sequential in reverse order by date of publication. Is there still a menu where they are organized by region, then state or province etc. (if not, there should be)? It is also incomplete, as there are no Western Canada features on the 3-page sequential list for example. Perhaps you have migrated some but not all feature articles to the new format so far. At the moment the other features are accessible only via "Access the Old Site," right?

Right. I'm working on migrating the resort features -- they're about 50% done, but Google News advised me today that they're flipping the switch to have their spider search the new site so I've brought it live a bit earlier than anticipated. I've done U.S. states only and am up to "Vermont," so the U.S. is nearly complete. It's a laborious and lengthy task, but not nearly as laborious as our Ski Links database migration will be. Back to Resort Features, Canada is next, followed by the southern hemisphere, and finishing up with Europe and Asia.

There will be no organization of resort features by region unless I get some brainstorm that I don't currently have. There would simply be too many categories if I added regional categories -- it would be way too segmented and cluttered IMO. At the moment you can find them two ways:

1. Via reverse chronological order, as you've indicated. Of course, simply clicking on the Resort Features item in the main menu will display only resort feature articles.

2. Via a search. Note that the search utility gives you the ability to only search resort features if you so desire. In reality, finding an article that way will be much quicker than working your way there geographically.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: New FTO format is live!

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:21 pm

Admin wrote:Woo-hoo!

Woo-hoo is right!!!

Congrats!!!

Keep up the good work.
Patrick

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:26 pm

Yeah, hold your praise for a moment...I just fubarred it to the point that I can't get into the admin panel. I've just sent up a flare for help.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Judz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:34 pm

lookin good
Judz

Postby Patrick » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:34 pm

Admin wrote:Yeah, hold your praise for a moment...I just fubarred it to the point that I can't get into the admin panel. I've just sent up a flare for help.

That's why I said keep up the good work... :lol: :wink:

Good luck. :?
Patrick

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:28 pm

Well, thanks to two hours of selfless diagnosis by one stellar IT manager of a nameless Vermont ski resort, the databases have been repaired! \:D/

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:20 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:The Features - Resorts and Destinations section is now sequential in reverse order by date of publication. Is there still a menu where they are organized by region, then state or province etc. (if not, there should be)? It is also incomplete, as there are no Western Canada features on the 3-page sequential list for example. Perhaps you have migrated some but not all feature articles to the new format so far. At the moment the other features are accessible only via "Access the Old Site," right?

Well, I'm still busy migrating stuff, but you got your wish. In addition to chronological integration with all articles, or even seeing just Resort Features chronologically, they're also segmented by region.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:26 pm

OK, what happened to the summer 2004 and prior archives that used to be here: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/nobullframeset.htm ?
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:12 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:OK, what happened to the summer 2004 and prior archives that used to be here: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/nobullframeset.htm ?
:shock: :shock: :shock: [-o< [-o< [-o<

Ditto!!!
Patrick

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:32 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:OK, what happened to the summer 2004 and prior archives that used to be here: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/nobullframeset.htm ?

Good catch, gentlemen. I've updated the link in the header of each Liftlines page to http://www.FirstTracksOnline.com/discus2/ to reflect their correct location.

For a time some of these little oversights will reveal themselves. Keep pointing them out.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby nowell91 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:59 pm

The new layout is great! Just one problem though- I can't log in on the site itself, while I still can in the forums. Is another account required? Also, are there any benefits of having an account outside of the forums?
nowell91

Postby Admin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:04 pm

nowell91 wrote:The new layout is great! Just one problem though- I can't log in on the site itself, while I still can in the forums. Is another account required? Also, are there any benefits of having an account outside of the forums?

And yet another problem is pointed out -- thanks, Nowell! I had made a FAQ entry to address those questions, but a database rewrite eliminated it and I forgot to re-enter it.

The logins are separate as two different pieces of software access two different user databases. To be honest, aside from customizing the website to suit your own needs, customizing your local time, etc., at the moment there aren't many benefits to registration. In the future that could change if security issues force us to limit comments, voting, etc. to registered users.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby AlpineZone » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:57 am

Nice job, Marc! Looks great. I understand that the forum is separate from the CMS used on the rest of the site, but have you considered at least updating colors on the forums to match the main site? You could probably also add a nav header to the top of the boards. It might just tie it all together better.
AlpineZone

Next

Return to F.Y.I.