Service outage prompts big changes

Here you'll find helpful tips regarding the operation of the Discussion Boards at First Tracks!! Online, as well as general announcements for our users.

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Patrick » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:25 am

[quote="Tony Crocker"]I suspect all pictures are disabled in what used to be the old archives, summer 2004 and prior? Like my pics from Chamonix! Any fix possible? Those old reports now show the raw html code. The pictures are likely still there on your server but they do not show. Ignoring the html instructions also results in all those archives now reading as joegm-style stream-of-consciousness with no formatting at all.[/quote]

Confirmed. Crap. Insert Icon of I pissed off Emoticon. &%?&#@$
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Patrick » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:29 am

What? No edits possible plus why did the quote didn't work?

Sorry Marc...I know your not to blame, but this REALLY sucks. I don't see any positive here.
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Patrick » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:32 am

Lack of quote, edit and icons seems to related to only this section.

I still think it sucks.
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4726
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:22 am

Patrick wrote:Lack of quote, edit and icons seems to related to only this section.

I still think it sucks.


Quotes work -- see above. Don't know why yours didn't...then again I just got out of bed and have had no coffee yet.

When the old archived forums were integrated it was done via a script created by a third-party author, remember? Apparently he accomplished it via using HTML code. A couple of points here:
  • The upgrade to v3.0 of phpBB was necessitated by the webhost's upgrade of PHP to 5.2
  • It's the authors of phpBB who have completely eliminated the ability to allow HTML
  • Right now there is no fix, but modifications to v3.0 are still few, and there may eventually be a batch modification released to convert that HTML code to BBCode
  • Yes, those pictures do still exist, they're just not visible

You had two choices at the time of the upgrade: lose visibility of the pictures, likely temporarily, or have forums that didn't work at all (some of you saw that and sent panicked emails, so you know what I mean). For now we have to deal with it.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:41 am

OK, I just posted a support request on the phpBB community forums. For anyone who would like to follow those developments the topic is located here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1051875

Let's see what response I get. From what I see the worst-case scenario would be to leave the responsibility for manually editing the posts from HTML to BBCode to their original authors. As an example, here I fixed Tony's post in about 90 seconds by replacing the <img src> HTML tags with BBCode img tags:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5103&p=22385#p22385

Note that this problem only applies to those posts migrated from the old Discus forum archives, which dates to 1999-2003 IIRC, and those few posts since then when the author chose to use HTML rather than BBCode to insert off-site photos.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby rfarren » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:56 pm

I miss the old set up. Is the older version going to come back? BTW, admin, my father went to that road you recommended for him to drive on today with my mother. They called me afterwards raving.
User avatar
rfarren
 
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:21 pm

rfarren wrote:I miss the old set up. Is the older version going to come back?


Nope. It can't.

rfarren wrote:BTW, admin, my father went to that road you recommended for him to drive on today with my mother. They called me afterwards raving.


At my age you're going to have to refresh my memory...
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby J.Spin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:39 am

[quote="Admin"]As a result, the easiest "fix" was to upgrade phpBB, our forum software, from version 2.0 to the entirely new version 3.0, which was designed from the ground up.[/quote]

Well, one thing that I'm happy to see is that the display size on linked images has now increased. I noticed it when I submitted my latest report, and was surprised to find that even my images that were 1000 pixels wide were coming through at full size. Unfortunately, the image display seems to top out at around 1035 pixels in width, and instead of resizing images that are wider than that, it is currently cutting them off on the right side. I looked at my report from Robbins Mountain back in January, and noticed several images that were cut off:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6803

Is it possible to increase the width limit for images on the board, or at least make them resize to use as much space as is allowed like in the previous version of the software?

Another thing that popped up as I was writing this reply was that BBCode was set to OFF (as indicated in a small box off to the right of my text). I was going to simply add linked/colored text to the report I described above, but I don't seem to have the option in this reply so I had to just insert the link. My quote didn't appear to work either, although perhaps it is just this thread/forum section as people have commented.

J.Spin
User avatar
J.Spin
 
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:54 pm
Location: Waterbury, Vermont - Image: Skiing Bone Mountain in the Bolton Valley backcountry, VT

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:49 pm

J.Spin wrote:Well, one thing that I'm happy to see is that the display size on linked images has now increased. I noticed it when I submitted my latest report, and was surprised to find that even my images that were 1000 pixels wide were coming through at full size. Unfortunately, the image display seems to top out at around 1035 pixels in width, and instead of resizing images that are wider than that, it is currently cutting them off on the right side. I looked at my report from Robbins Mountain back in January, and noticed several images that were cut off:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6803

Is it possible to increase the width limit for images on the board, or at least make them resize to use as much space as is allowed like in the previous version of the software?


I've just altered the code to automatically resize images that are wider than the allowed width. You may now see the effect in the linked posted cited above. So, that's fixed. :D

J.Spin wrote:Another thing that popped up as I was writing this reply was that BBCode was set to OFF (as indicated in a small box off to the right of my text). I was going to simply add linked/colored text to the report I described above, but I don't seem to have the option in this reply so I had to just insert the link. My quote didn't appear to work either, although perhaps it is just this thread/forum section as people have commented.


Make sure that BBCode is turned on in the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences tab -> Edit Posting Defaults sub-tab. I have, however, discovered some anomalies in permissions for registered users in some forums, including this one, and have now fixed them.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:57 pm

I didn't have a digital camera until spring 2003, so I wouldn't have many pictures to fix.

But I notice Admin got a fairly quick answer on that phpBB forum. Are you going to be testing that soon?
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:07 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:I didn't have a digital camera until spring 2003, so I wouldn't have many pictures to fix.

But I notice Admin got a fairly quick answer on that phpBB forum. Are you going to be testing that soon?


Yeah, but as an alpha-release modification I need to exercise caution. The author himself cautions that as such the mod should not be applied to a live board. For me that means backing up the MySQL database that powers the board in case something goes horribly wrong, and that means executing the script from home when I have a few hours to restore everything if need be.

I may need to take the forums down for a bit tonight to implement this.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:14 pm

By "soon" I meant days, next weekend, etc. I'm impressed that you might give it a shot this evening.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Marc_C » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:29 pm

Admin wrote:Yeah, but as an alpha-release modification I need to exercise caution. The author himself cautions that as such the mod should not be applied to a live board. For me that means backing up the MySQL database that powers the board in case something goes horribly wrong,...

Rule of thumb with alpha releases: probably ok for the general cases and most of the well known edge cases, but will probably gag on special cases. It will also gag on something completely reasonable, but something the author didn't think of or account for. The classic is an end of file delimiter that innocently and legally occurs somewhere in the middle of a file.

In the exercise here, but one example might be: what will the converter do if it hits technically invalid (according to the W3C) HTML, but HTML that still renders correctly in the browser?

Have fun! Don't assume everything is correct even if the converter says it was successful! Keep a barf bag handy. :P
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3173
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Marc_C wrote:Have fun! Don't assume everything is correct even if the converter says it was successful! Keep a barf bag handy. :P


Failure. I ran the script, which was supposed to examine each posting and parse where approprate. Clearly this should have taken a long time, and a quick glance at the script code showed that it was to parse 200 messages at a time before refreshing the screen with a "hey, we're working on it...be patient" sort of message. Instead, it went straight to the "OK, everything's done!" message after only a couple of seconds...of course without changing anything.

I've responded to the author in the phpBB development forum. I'll see if he has any other ideas, but in the meantime we have no choice but to live with it and the original authors of the messed up posts are welcome to edit their posts as they see fit. phpBB's site forums are filled with phpBB administrators who are dealing with this issue, some with much more significant impacts than mine. The bottom line is that the authors of phpBB chose to eliminate HTML enabling in the 3.0 release for security reasons, a decision that's completely understandable as enabling HTML opens the forums up to some serious hacking possibilities.
Image

Image
User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9969
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:17 am

phpBB's site forums are filled with phpBB administrators who are dealing with this issue
Does this mean that there is a lot of pressure on them to come up with a good HTML conversion fix for many of their users ASAP? If so, I think we should cool it for awhile and hope an easy fix will be developed before too long.

I'll wait until I come back from China 8/6 before manually correcting any of my stuff, and hope that a global fix has been implemented by then.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

PreviousNext

Return to F.Y.I.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use