Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

Service outage prompts big changes

Here you'll find helpful tips regarding the operation of the Discussion Boards at First Tracks!! Online, as well as general announcements for our users.

Re: Service outage prompts big changes

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:43 am

Tony Crocker wrote:Does this mean that there is a lot of pressure on them to come up with a good HTML conversion fix for many of their users ASAP? If so, I think we should cool it for awhile and hope an easy fix will be developed before too long.

You must realize that phpBB is Open Source. It's developed by committee, so things often develop very slowly as its developers are volunteers. However, fixes often come along because the community develops solutions, such as the script that I tried. I have no doubt that others will attempt a fix.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby J.Spin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 am

Admin wrote:I've just altered the code to automatically resize images that are wider than the allowed width. You may now see the effect in the linked posted cited above. So, that's fixed. :D
Make sure that BBCode is turned on in the User Control Panel -> Board Preferences tab -> Edit Posting Defaults sub-tab. I have, however, discovered some anomalies in permissions for registered users in some forums, including this one, and have now fixed them.

Thanks for the rapid action on both fixes Marc, the resize looks great and I can now see all the BBCode options as I'm writing this response.

-J
J.Spin

Location: Waterbury, Vermont - Image: Skiing Bone Mountain in the Bolton Valley backcountry, VT

Postby riverc0il » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:10 pm

Admin wrote:For me that means backing up the MySQL database that powers the board in case something goes horribly wrong, and that means executing the script from home when I have a few hours to restore everything if need be.

FWIW, as a fellow webmaster with far smaller of a web site with fewer pages of content and no forums, admin has already done a stunning job with the transition on such short notice. I dread updating my WordPress CMS due to all the backups and crossing fingers that plugins continue to work and the whole thing doesn't crash completely and force a reinstall of a backup. These little things are pretty time consuming and admin has done an admirable job with a completely unexpected switch. Much as I bitched about the lack of aesthetics, I have a good understanding and a lot of sympathy for all the unscheduled maintanence this switch is causing admin.
--Steve

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs
riverc0il

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:58 pm

I agree with River. The last time we had a system upgrade viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3256 I was quite vociferous in bemoaning the loss of the archives.

This time the archives are not lost but are somewhat degraded in utility. Those who particularly value the pics accompanying reports may be feeling more pain. Nonetheless it's slow season, so I think we should be patient. There are other administrators who need this fix, so I have some confidence we will get it eventually. In the meantime let's not make Marc ](*,)
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Although I might also be bitching, I DO APPRECIATE ALL WHAT ADMIN IS GOING.

Like Tony, I really really value what might have been lost (links, pics) in the pre-2004 post.

Sorry, I've been pretty busy of late, but I also noticed that the Youtube quotes were gone.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Patrick wrote:Although I might also be bitching, I DO APPRECIATE ALL WHAT ADMIN IS GOING.

Like Tony, I really really value what might have been lost (links, pics) in the pre-2004 post.

But...nothing is lost. Links to some material are only formatted in ways that phpBB can't display anymore. The material's still there.

Patrick wrote:Sorry, I've been pretty busy of late, but I also noticed that the Youtube quotes were gone.

One objective in the near term is to enable embedding videos from YouTube, Google Video and other video hosting sites. That will still require editing of the original post to change from HTML to the BBCode that will be created by this modification.

You may notice, however, the new "flv" BBcode button atop any posting form. That enables embedding any Flash video where you know the URL of the Flash file.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 am

OK, here are some dumb questions of the day:

In the old format the syntax allowed you to embed a URL reference withg a highlighted descriptiuon of what it was. Now the URL button just brackets the URL you wish to refer to.

What do the List, List= and flv buttons do?

Does polling still exist?
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:09 am

Tony Crocker wrote:In the old format the syntax allowed you to embed a URL reference withg a highlighted descriptiuon of what it was. Now the URL button just brackets the URL you wish to refer to.

There's no change in the URL BBcode functionality. See: faq.php?mode=bbcode#f40

Tony Crocker wrote:What do the List, List= and flv buttons do?

The List BBcode is unchanged from what was there before, too. See: faq.php?mode=bbcode#f30

The flv BBcode is new. It allows you to embed the URL of a Flash video if you know the URL to the FLV file.

Tony Crocker wrote:Does polling still exist?

Yes.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby rfarren » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:48 am

Admin wrote:
rfarren wrote:BTW, admin, my father went to that road you recommended for him to drive on today with my mother. They called me afterwards raving.

At my age you're going to have to refresh my memory...

They drove to the san rafeal swell. They loved it too. Saying Utah is the most beautiful of all the states. My father also commented on how green everything was.
Rob
rfarren

Postby Marc_C » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:59 am

Warning! Thread drift!

rfarren wrote:They loved it too. Saying Utah is the most beautiful of all the states.

We do have 5 national parks after all! The only states with more are CA and AK, with 8 each. Add in the National Monuments and the number goes up considerably.

rfarren wrote:My father also commented on how green everything was.

"Utah is all brown" is a common misconception among those who don't live here or only visit during ski season.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Patrick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Back on topic...

It might have been mentioned already. What's up which the image with the scroll bar on the size? Also is the image size requirements still the same as before (ie. 640x480 or something similar?)?

Thanks from a lazy dude. :roll:
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:37 pm

Patrick wrote:It might have been mentioned already. What's up which the image with the scroll bar on the size? Also is the image size requirements still the same as before (ie. 640x480 or something similar?)?

I think that I've solved the image scroll bar issue going forward, but on old posts I don't think that I've been able to solve that. In any event, simply clicking on the image will remove the scroll bar by displaying the full image.

And yes, the 640x480 limitation has been left in place.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Patrick » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:29 pm

Admin wrote:And yes, the 640x480 limitation has been left in place.

That's all I wanted to know before starting to resize some pics for my continuing novel, the Chilean Adventure. :mrgreen:
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 pm

Patrick wrote:
Admin wrote:And yes, the 640x480 limitation has been left in place.

That's all I wanted to know before starting to resize some pics for my continuing novel, the Chilean Adventure. :mrgreen:

Try using the "inline" feature after uploading your attachments.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby J.Spin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 am

I tried the new "flv" option that came with the forum changes and added a flash version of a video to my latest report, but I haven't been able to get it to play on any computer I've tried. It appears to download, indicates the length of the video (1:11) but then nothing happens when I click on either the play button in the middle of the movie screen or in the play button on the bar below the movie. It just seems to change the bar to display "100%" at the end. The flash video works fine if I open it in Real Player, so the movie itself doesn't seem to be the problem. Is this an issue that others are experiencing with the forums, or is there something that I need to download to get this functionality to work? I've added the movie to this message again using the "flv" button for reference.

-J

[flv]http://www.JandEproductions.com/2008/26JAN08.flv[/flv]
J.Spin

Location: Waterbury, Vermont - Image: Skiing Bone Mountain in the Bolton Valley backcountry, VT

PreviousNext

Return to F.Y.I.