Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

FTO Ads

Here you'll find helpful tips regarding the operation of the Discussion Boards at First Tracks!! Online, as well as general announcements for our users.

FTO Ads

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:20 am

I well understand the need for advertising revenue on FTO. In general I think they are done very well, particularly the Google targeted ads tied to the topic at hand.

However, I find a couple of recent developments annoying.
1) Pop-ups. I'm using a new computer midweek, and I've been getting a lot of pop-ups on FTO, notably from Sprint. I noticed that the pop-up setting was set to medium strength and changed it to high. At which point a link to JSpin's ski-vt post was blocked. So I loosened the blocker for FTO and we'll see what happens going forward. It's possible the Sprint pop-up was some generic cookie that may not recur.
2) I strongly object to ads with sound. The one I'm getting is for a Wal-Mart gift card. Again, it may be a generic cookie, as it occurs at some other sites too. and maybe the strenghtened pop-up setting will stop it.

My apologies if I'm ignorant and FTO has nothing to do with either of these. If so, I'd appreciate some insights from the more tech savvy. At home I use Firefox, which may do a better job, but on this computer I have to live with Internet Explorer.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Re: FTO Ads

Postby Admin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:26 am

Yeah, I'm working to determine which provider is serving up those ads (not necessarily an easy task). For the record, they're not pop-ups per se so a popup blocker isn't likely to be of much use. Rather, they're an expanding Flash banner. If you just pause for a moment they retract back into their space (i.e., all but disappear).

And for those who might be wondering what in the heck Tony is talking about, they appear to be geographically targeted, such that a user in one place is seeing them, while another user located somewhere else won't.

Admin
Site Admin

Return to F.Y.I.