All clear! - 10/27/08@8 pm EDT

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
OK, folks, everything is done. \:D/ With the generous help of some, uhh...very "technically minded" folks at Zikula.org the last of the bugs in our new setup has been fixed. If you find anything broken on the main website (everything other than the forums) please let me know by replying here.

In a nutshell, we were unexpectedly forced to upgrade the content management system (CMS) that forms the very backbone for FTO by a server upgrade at our webhost. The first level of the upgrade to our CMS was a simple one. The second upgrade, however, required us to step up to a version that was a complete re-write of the original system, using an entirely different code structure. (For those in the know, this was when we crossed the threshold from PostNuke to Zikula.) This came with its own set of problems, not the least of which was getting the new system to look and operate precisely as the old system had so that the transition would be seamless to you, our users. I personally spent about 50 sleepless hours over the past 3.5 days tending to this ordeal. :-({|=

The last nagging problem involved the "pager" that splits all articles in a specific category into multiple pages:

screenshot_newspager.jpg

For a reason that I couldn't decipher the pager was appearing on our home page and on the "Ski News" page that aggregates all articles, but not when any sub-category of our news or articles was selected by the user. If you tried to browse any of our categories since midnight on Friday you would've gotten an index containing the last 10 articles and that was all you'd get. Now that it's fixed, you can again browse through all of our content page by page, or search by specific keyword -- both means of navigation are now fully functional.

While things on the surface may appear the same as they have in the past, I assure you that under the hood this is a completely rebuilt CMS. Improvements in speed, security and functionality are all in place and have prepared FTO for its next phase of operation!

We appreciate your patience through all of this. We tried to keep the disruption to a minimum as you, our readership, are our lifeblood and we know it!

kytels":xkbmmmsw said:
Nothing like wandering around and feeling appreciated for it 8) .

Wandering around? I'll say! You dug up a thread nearly a year and a half old! It's reminded me of what a truly miserable experience that ordeal was to get through.

Back