Liftlines hacked...again

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
If I can ever get my hands on one of those hacker kiddies... :evil:

Liftlines was hacked again last evening, and the database of messages wiped out as a result. We worked throughout the night to implement code changes to patch the security hole, and this morning the database was restored from a backup created at 4am EST on March 22.

What does this mean for you?
  • Any messages posted between 4am on March 22 and now were lost.
  • Any account changes made between 4am on March 22 and now were lost.
  • Any new user registrations between 4am on March 22 and now were lost.

In reality, we're pleased that we were able to patch the security hole that quickly, and that we only lost one day of messages. Longtime users of Liftlines, from back in the pre-phpBB days, know that this is a significant improvement over past events.

We regret any inconvenience that this may have caused. Trust me, we regret the inconvenience this put us through, too!

Welcome back -- start posting! :wink:

I'll second that, good job, Marc! I lost one stupid jpeg I posted to add a map to my Cardigan thread, but I can repost it tonight. I had a real sick-to-my-stomach feeling when I checked FTO NBS last night. You restored the backup so quick that most people would never have noticed. Yeah!

Lftgly":104zsg2c said:
I lost one stupid jpeg I posted to add a map to my Cardigan thread, but I can repost it tonight.

No need. The JPEG was still on the server, but the database entry for the post containing it was lost. I've gone ahead and re-linked the map to the topic.

I had a real sick-to-my-stomach feeling when I checked FTO NBS last night.

Trust me...so did I. :lol:

You restored the backup so quick that most people would never have noticed. Yeah!

Well, it would have been even quicker had our web host not wanted $375 for the restore operation of the database. After some quick negotiation, though, we got the task done. I was up until 2am hand-editing PHP code and debugging it to make sure that the hole was patched before the database was restored this morning. :evil:

Thanks for getting this back up on line. My two posts about Stowe and MRG were lost, which isn't much compared to the work you went through.

Basically. But it's not just Liftlines, it's the phpBB software that runs it. It's a continual target because it's the most commonly used BBS software out there..

Back