Bromont, QC 02/13/12

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
As we've discussed many times here, Québec is no longer getting the end-to-end brutally cold winters that were commonplace a couple decades back, so when I arrived in the early afternoon yesterday at Bromont to a temperature of -19C (-2F) -- with a nice stiff wind up top added for good measure -- it felt like the good old days.

Picture 027a.jpg

I cranked up my Hotronics to 3, put on my face gator, and booted up. I knew in advance that the southern part of the province hadn't received any snow in the past week, so expectations weren't high, but conditions were much better than I had expected -- very edgeable hardpack that was fun to ski really fast. I'm not sure what they had done with the lemons that this winter has provided, but it was an impressive job of grooming.

For those who haven't been to Bromont in the last few years, this ski area has expanded more than any other in the northeast (to be covered in an upcoming article). Director of Operations Benjamin Désourdy gave us a fantastic tour of Bromont's many new lifts and trails:
Picture 015a.jpg

A two-inch dusting had fallen overnight, which freshened things up nicely for us today. Juliet loved all the consistent, rolling blue squares:
Picture 009a.jpg

From the top, you have 360-degree views of the Townships. Here's Sutton in the distance with Jay Peak behind it:
Picture 016a.jpg

Bromont is home to the largest night-skiing operation in North America -- pretty much everything is lit up:
Picture 006a.jpg

Including some of the glades:
Picture 005a.jpg

And yes, poutine is still a favorite -- everyone loves 'em. Even young women order (and finish) the large, economy-size portions:
Picture 004a.jpg

Nice to see that James hasn't look his touch in posting TRs.

Curious, where did you arrive from if you're heading North? Were you in NVT or NH?

Patrick":1zmieg7z said:
Curious, where did you arrive from if you're heading North? Were you in NVT or NH?
Neither. We drove straight there from New Jersey: six hours door-to-door.

jamesdeluxe":2rahvr3w said:
Patrick":2rahvr3w said:
Neither. We drove straight there from New Jersey: six hours door-to-door.

Why the detour if you're heading to the Laurentians?

Back