Stowe, vt, 2-29- 3-01

joegm

skied stowe wed and thurs... 3rd day on snow this year...6th day on snow in 2 years... :roll: :shock:

the irony is in this seemingly pretty bad season, i think i hit the best 2 days of the year...double irony is that i think it was in the top three trips ever to stowe... the combined 40 plus inches in the previous 5 made that the case..

they were all open...not a line was closed...the ski day was off the new superquad...centerline ( all bumped up ) to gulch via tres amigos 2 times... hayride ( all bumped up ) to gulch 2 times...goat 2 times, starr 2 times, lookout 2 times, national 1 time ( from the top.. only like the 5th time i have done that ) .. lunch.. they over to gondola via nosedive glades 2 times and chin clip 6 times.... chin clip must have been groomed at some point in the last 7 because the bumps were medium and were just so nice i can hardly describe them... the top entrances of goat , starr and lookout were all chargable with no ice or hardpack whatsoever.. coverage was stellar... national headwall was about 30 feet of sheer but quickly became powder bumps moving left to right...wed was clear and 25 .. thursday was snow , started at about 6am and continued all day for a total of i would say 7 or 8...

spots of 4 feet deep in the trees.. no signs of stumps anywhere...stowe really is the best we have in new england if you can get past the pretentiousness of the town....used the new evolution system of no lift ticket .. it was flawless... my buddy were wondering though how and what there is to prevent a transfer of a season pass to multiple users?... not sure if they are just conceeding this will happen in small amounts or what , but i will say, loading up the pass online and not dealing with any lift ticket windows is pretty nice.. no dealing with spaceshot lifties with malfunctioning scanners or lazy lifties clogging up the line checking tickets .. pretty cool...

easily in the top 10 ski days of all time for me... really quite ironic!!!!!

Glad to see you back here, Joe . Don't be such a stranger.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

joegm":nuum5ukp said:
3rd day on snow this year...6th day on snow in 2 years...
Joegm must stay in shape. That TR adds up to well over 30K, and I've skied most of those runs; that's not cheap vertical.

Tony Crocker":8f4z3n96 said:
joegm":8f4z3n96 said:
3rd day on snow this year...6th day on snow in 2 years...
Joegm must stay in shape. That TR adds up to well over 30K, and I've skied most of those runs; that's not cheap vertical.

LOL tony... u busted me.. while i do consider myself in good shape and try to maintain good fitness as much as i can, the result of the 2 days of bliss at stowe were significant on the physical side... my bumping skills have taken a good hit in the last 2 years and as a result i was loading a lot more on the quads than i should be skiing lines like that all day long... friday i could barely walk and still have soreness in the legs...i think one can be in the best shape one can be in but nothing simulates the actual ski angles that you put your body in when skiing and especially when you are talking about bumps...cardio wise i was fine as that is the thing i do the most off snow... but the lack of being forward and on my skis like i should be was a killer and i am paying the price big time.
Back when i was skiing 50 days a year it was not an issue by the 5 or 6th day in .. but now it is a huge issue.. my wife says , " why can't you just go out and ski the groomed runs.. why do you have to do this to yourself" shes a non mogul skier is really all that needs to be said about that....

marc , i check in all the time, but my life has taken a turn that has limited my time greatly on the snow ( downs syndrome little boy ) so i really don't feel like i have anything much to contribute anymore... i am a bit perplexed by the lack of Eastern US trip reports though.. even in this awful year.... what happen to the dude who skied mt washington and the backcountry and always had a good spin on the NE ski scene.. ? I forget his handle now ....

Yes - Stowe has been very good the past two weekends -

Powder weekend - 2/25 2/26
Foggy Spring Skiing then Sunshine Sat 3/3 followed by 3 new on Sunday - very good days however.

FYI on - Evolution card - Season pass holder ticket info...
Season pass holders have their pictures taken and I believe the lift attendant standing in front of terminal sees the passholders pictures when they go thru gates. The gate area also has a camera on each entry point.
Being a SW guy - you could envision a system that is recording your picture as you pass and maybe showing the lift attendant the most recent photos to compare (a radical change in clothes would quickly tip off) Same with the Evolution card - take a picture - compare most recent pictures.

I have seen folks pulled from the gates - but never heard why as usually you are about to board the lift and are quickly removed from the area.

Dparz

joegm":esebhuky said:
what happen to the dude who skied mt washington and the backcountry and always had a good spin on the NE ski scene.. ? I forget his handle now ....
That would be icelanticskier. I think he posts on the Time for Tuckerman Forum, more oriented to the backcountry skiing he does most of the time.

Back