LE MASSIF , CHARLEVOIX POWDER DAY

Anthony

Currently at the Massif and can report this area received almost 2 feet of dry snow over the last 36 hours. We were at home watching the weather and noticed the potential for heavy snow accumulation in the Charlevoix region so it was time to finally bust out of the Laurentians and head north east. Great skiing today as finally was able to ski the off trail sector outside of the ski area boundary after 2 other trips when the area was not open . The 100 acres out of bound zone comes with warnings about getting lost and injured which will be your your responsibility . We hiked for about 20 minutes to reach the start area and proceeded down thru knee deep powder, probably the longest eastern run I have ever had thru untracked trees. Since it was our first time in this area we kept to a western direction with our skiing to end up back into the trail sector. Will try to post some pictures as have another day on tap for tomorrow before heading home.

Follow up to my previous first post after completing two great days of skiing at "Le Massif " . Great snow , as even a cynic like myself could not believe how deep the snow was at the local level as down south at Mont St Anne just a few inches. The upper ridge offers the best skiing as down near the base the trails merge causing congestion and skier traffic on the scraped down artificial base . Personally, we found the best skiing in the off trail sector where you have to hike for your turns however due to the hike the fresh snow last longer . The drawback on this is that it uses up time on your lift ticket but worth every skiing minute. The ski area has major plans for development so not sure how long this area will last with out lifts . Major real estate development plan also in the works so guess there will be condo's all over the place .

Attachments

• LN70.jpg
    LN70.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 4,798
  • LN67.jpg
    LN67.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4,797
  • LN66.jpg
    LN66.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4,797
  • LN65.jpg
    LN65.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 4,800
  • LN61.jpg
    LN61.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 4,802
  • LN60.jpg
    LN60.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4,803
Not sure of the the timelines for lifts in the off the trail sector but the real estate plans for development are to be released this year as this ski area wants to be a resort and to be a resort your need on site lodging . Today , most of their customers are day skiers /riders from the area as anyone taking a multiple day vacation is forced to drive to offsite for lodging which is on average 30 plus minutes away . This is not what the all inclusive vacation skier wants as too much hassle driving back and forth on a road ( Highway 138 ) that could be hazardous in frequent stormy weather . So in summary I see big development in lodging and eventual highway improvements if the numbers make it economical ( following the the model of Tremblant where development and road improvements went in on highway 117 to provide access to the area with its own interchange ) . Now back to the original question , my guess the lifts will go in with the expansion in real estate as the skiing acreage will need to expand and this area is the most likely area , also do not think it is part of their corporate objective to have a so called back country area as it just doesn't fit in with the eastern ski area business resort model , probably too much liability with this area anyway . So enjoy it while its there as do not think it will last much longer , just my 2 cents worth .

Back