Eastern Closing Thread 2011-2012

Patrick

Around the corner : Surviving the Heatwave or the End of the 2012 Eastern ski season?

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/03/ ... ki-season/

Quebec: 17- missing two confirmation

Western Quebec (North and Townships) :

Avila
Blanc : (reopens Friday and weekend)
Bromont : April 1 (weekend only)
La Réserve : March 31 or April 1 (weekend only, maybe only Saturday)
Montcalm : April 1 (weekend only)
Owl’s Head* : March 31 (Saturday only)
St-Sauveur : (weekend only – operating Avila midweek)
Tremblant* : April 16

Eastern Quebec (Mauricie to Gaspe) :
Gallix (weekend only)
Le Massif* : April 9 (maybe)(weekend and maybe Easter) – changed their decision
Relais
Sainte-Anne : April 29
Stoneham
Tibasse
Val Neigette : April 1 (Fri-Sun only) – no clear confirmation
Valinouët
Vallée du Parc : March 31 (Saturday only) – $5

Newfoundland & Labrador: 1
Marble : April 8

Vermont: 4
Jay*
Killington
Stowe : April 1
Sugarbush* : April 1??? – $30

New Hamsphire: 4
Bretton Woods : April 1 (weekend only) – $25
Loon* : April 8
Waterville : April 1 – free skiing until closing
Wildcat* : reopening 29 for the weekend – $35

Maine : 3
Sunday River*
Saddleback* – $39 ($29 if your bring your pass from another mountain)
Sugarloaf*

* – indicates snowmaking this week
More details in the link above. Yeah, its pretty pathetic.

It's not just number of ski areas; it's quality of what's open. I have season progress reports for second weekend of April going back to 2004. Most of the time places like Jay, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, Killington, Mt. Ste. Anne are still at least 2/3 open and in the good years they are close to full operation. Currently Mt. Ste. Anne is 49% open, Sunday River 37% and the rest of the open areas are under 30%. 2 years ago April 10 was nearly as bad as now, with Sugarloaf at 44% and no one else over 35%. All the other years had some areas at 2/3 or better.

Tony Crocker":1osf89we said:
Most of the time places like Jay, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, Killington, Mt. Ste. Anne are still at least 2/3 open and in the good years they are close to full operation. Currently Mt. Ste. Anne is 49% open, Sunday River 37% and the rest of the open areas are under 30%. 2 years ago April 10 was nearly as bad as now, with Sugarloaf at 44% and now one else over 35%. All the other years had some areas at 2/3 or better.

Sugarbush was counting 2 trails = 1 way down. Kmart 5 (not sure how many options down). As I mentioned (for MSA), areas near Quebec City artificial snow survived more and they didn't get hit so much. Gaspe Peninsula was wiped out. Not sure where you're getting your numbers?

Over half the areas had to make snow in late March to reach Easter.

Tony Crocker":3bl3rz1k said:
Most of the time places like Jay, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, Killington, Mt. Ste. Anne are still at least 2/3 open
Patrick":3bl3rz1k said:
Really?? Sugarbush was counting 2 trails = 1 way down. Kmart 5 (not sure how many options down). St-Sauveur was far from the 2/3. Loon wasn't at 2/3, WIldcat either As I mentioned (for MSA), areas near Quebec City artificial snow survived more and they didn't get hit so much. Gaspe Peninsula was wiped out. Not sure where you're getting your numbers?
If I'm not mistaken, Tony was talking about "most years," i.e. not this year.

jamesdeluxe":2sdpbr6l said:
Tony Crocker":2sdpbr6l said:
Most of the time places like Jay, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, Killington, Mt. Ste. Anne are still at least 2/3 open
Patrick":2sdpbr6l said:
Really?? Sugarbush was counting 2 trails = 1 way down. Kmart 5 (not sure how many options down). St-Sauveur was far from the 2/3. Loon wasn't at 2/3, WIldcat either As I mentioned (for MSA), areas near Quebec City artificial snow survived more and they didn't get hit so much. Gaspe Peninsula was wiped out. Not sure where you're getting your numbers?
If I'm not mistaken, Tony was talking about "most years," i.e. not this year.

I read it too fast before going to a meeting. Opps. Sorry. :oops:

I didn't check this morning, but after Loon closes today, the numbers of area to open next week should be at ... 9

About half of these are close midweek. Le Valinouet and SRiver closing date is next Sunday, April 15.

QC: 3 - MSS, MSA, Le Valinouet
VT: 2 - Jay, Kmart
NH: 1 - WCat (maybe)
ME: 3 - SRiver, Saddleback and Sugarloaf

Patrick":173fmgzt said:
Kmart 5 (not sure how many options down).
I had always used a 3:1 ratio of trails open/ways down, which seemed to be relatively accurate. This was right after Kmart went from 105 on-map trails to 212 overnight one year thanks to naming every segment of most trails and then counting them as separate trails. Thus Craptastic became Upper, Middle, and Lower Craptastic, sometimes with the addition of Craptastic Runout and occasionally, for pure absurdity, adding the Craptastic Traverse that gets you to Upper Craptastic.

Actually Kmart number just went up with the 18 inches of snow received.

But I agree with Marc, increase to 212 without creating a trail was pure genius moment from the marketing department. I also love the bar chart with vertical compared to other ski areas without mentioning Whiteface.

I don't care about the trail definitions. I figure you easterners know how big these ski areas are. But I do know that 5 out of 140 trails open means it's desperation time.

Patrick":shyz2j1u said:
And some people thought the ski and snow season was over
Nope, it's over. Perhaps the worst ski season on the EC in my lifetime. Didn't really hit it, but good riddance.

Marc_C":hutpn21k said:
Patrick":hutpn21k said:
Kmart 5 (not sure how many options down).
I had always used a 3:1 ratio of trails open/ways down, which seemed to be relatively accurate. This was right after Kmart went from 105 on-map trails to 212 overnight one year thanks to naming every segment of most trails and then counting them as separate trails. Thus Craptastic became Upper, Middle, and Lower Craptastic, sometimes with the addition of Craptastic Runout and occasionally, for pure absurdity, adding the Craptastic Traverse that gets you to Upper Craptastic.
:lol: I really appreciate this!
Patrick":hutpn21k said:
I also love the bar chart with vertical compared to other ski areas without mentioning Whiteface.
+1

rfarren":3ub5lx89 said:
Patrick":3ub5lx89 said:
And some people thought the ski and snow season was over
Nope, it's over. Perhaps the worst ski season on the EC in my lifetime. Didn't really hit it, but good riddance.
You're not the only one to hate this season...I've had a number of issues plus the lack of winter...but for those that wish to milk out the season, there is still some turns to be had.

This is the worst season I can remember...probably up their with 1981. It's my worst season in term of ski outings since 2000-01. I'm only at Day 29, which is about 15-20 days behind my normal pace.

Patrick":v6rsp234 said:
probably up their with 1981
The record bad snowfall season for the Northeast by a significant margin was 1979-80 at 58%. 1980-81 was 81% and there have been 4 other seasons between 74% and 79%. This year will not be as low as 1979-80 but I have little doubt that qualitatively it's probably at least as bad with both a slow start and the premature meltdown.

Also, if any of you have been following JSpin, his take on northern Vermont through the beginning of March was below average but not that bad. But it's also clear that the rest of the Northeast has been much worse than northern Vermont.

Mont Ste-Anne announced that their season was over and they will not open this coming weekend. Another earliest season end for another ski area that I can remember. Since my first visit to MSA in the early 1980s, the mountain has always made it to late April or early May.

Sugarloaf reopening for the weekend isn't a sure thing either.

So we might be down as little as 3 ski areas this weekend...something that happens in May, not so early in April.

Oh yeah, potential big snow storm might hit east of Quebec City in the Charlevoix and Gaspe this weekend.

Update my blog post, here it is:

Saturday update:

Killington has announced that Sunday April 22 will be their last day of the season.

Ran in the forecast where the three remaining ski areas.

Mt St-Sauveur was closed today with the rain, will open sunday is the forecast is better: 2 runs / $20. Open only on weekends.

Jay Peak is only running the Triple. 3 runs / $35. Will be evaluating re-opening the weekend sometimes midweek..

Killington is at 5 runs / $49. Last day on April 22.

Monday morning April snow … but no one is spinning this morning – East Closing Thread 2012 – Part 7
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/04/ ... 12-part-7/

5cm on the ground in Ottawa. No one has been spinning within a 100km of here since March 21.

Killington is done.

Jay will announced later midweek about if they'll be open.

MSS announced that they will be open next weekend.

So it's down to 2 in the East.

Back