Killington opens

Nice to see Killington heeding my advice about the K1 as transport lift for upper mountain terrain. But how will Patrick get around the restriction to passholders?

Tony Crocker":dkuyqve4 said:
how will Patrick get around the restriction to passholders?
Shave his beard, borrow a passholder's RFID, and take lessons to get rid of his Canadian accent. They'll never know the difference!

Tony Crocker":17ehsbog said:
Nice to see Killington heeding my advice about the K1 as transport lift for upper mountain terrain. But how will Patrick get around the restriction to passholders?
Further proof that my life doesn't revolve around the "streak". Priority was to continue to work on our roof on Saturday and today was Morgane's bday. :mrgreen:

October is always hard and a busy month.

Oh yeah, here is my take on Kmart actively going for an October opening. I included a list of opening and closing gathered over the years.

New attitude at K? Maybe, but I'll wait and see before saying the Beast is Back.

October turns at Killington are back…for its pass and card holders only!!!
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/10/ ... ders-only/

I skied there a couple of weeks ago and it was quite nice with much more terrain than usual on Veteran's weekend. Upper Downdraft, Upper Double Dipper, Rime, Reason, East Fall, Killink, Lower West Glade (or whatever they call it now), Great Northern, Mousetrap and Bunny Buster. It was 58 degrees and sunny. Spring skiing in November. Here's my TR http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Killington-11-11-12-with-pictures-tp4021147.html

Since then they've opened Sky peak (Skylark, BitterSweet) and expanded snowmaking on Snowden and are offering skiing for beginners on Ramshead and Snowshed. Seems like they have the right idea.

Wondering how it went this past weekend. I try to avoid it on TG weekend as it is usually a freakin zoo! Even on Vets weekend I felt the culture shock of the urban skiers and masses of teenagers and attitudes. Was not homey or welcoming. Kinda cuthroat/stay outta the way vibe. You had to be a good cautious skier to manage such crowds and attitudes.

I may go back in a week or two to use up my 2 for 1 coupon. Would like to hear how it went this weekend and where the snowmaking is going to be focused in the coming weeks. I may have to lurk in the kzone forum.

Conditions look decent with a fair variety of trails. Northeast November snowfall was meager at less than a foot, so there must have have a lot of cold weather for snowmaking to get that much terrain open. I recall from my day at Killington Nov. 7, 1993 that lower Bunny Buster was the one choke point which became overly congested and icy.

Tony Crocker":pqm0cpkq said:
Conditions look decent with a fair variety of trails. Northeast November snowfall was meager at less than a foot, so there must have have a lot of cold weather for snowmaking to get that much terrain open. I recall from my day at Killington Nov. 7, 1993 that lower Bunny Buster was the one choke point which became overly congested and icy.

As usual, November has been busy on the home and work front. Since the beginning of the month, we've had seasonal temps contrarily to the previous season warm Novembers. This has helped ski areas get their snowmaking working.

In the first week of November, Killington reopened on the Monday, Sunday River on Tuesday, MSS on Wednesday. Camp Fortune (near Ottawa) opened with one green run on November 10.

Mentioned it on my blog.
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/11/ ... this-week/

Tremblant which never (or rarely) moves away from their fixed days opening and closing open for US Thanksgiving with one top-to-bottom run on the South side and a few runs at the top on both sides. I guess its an Intrawest thing, for example Snowshoe WV didn't opened until last week, despite record amount of snow. White Grass Cross-Country in Canaan Valley area opened on Halloween and still had snow to ski on last weekend - all natural of course. Oh yeah, we got our first snow on the ground Sunday night and its staying ... for now.

Spent Sunday there and it was pretty crowded, lots of unguided missile avoidance needed. They had the guns going and in those areas it was pretty good. Nothing like moguls on the first day out. By the afternoon everything not under the guns was pretty skied off so I stuck with the mogul fields under the guns. After 4 hours I was shot and it was time to get on the bus from hell again...looks like Hunter will open this weekend...

Back