LAURENTIAN (TREMBLANT)SNOW REPORT

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: LAURENTIAN (TREMBLANT)SNOW REPORT

Postby Anthony » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:12 pm

My ski days are actually going down as the 3 kids no longer need assistance ( 2 are weekend instructors and 1 thinks he is ready for " ski the east :-). Combine this with the unpredictable weather and price of lift tickets leads to not a good combo . Spend more time driving around to ski hills than actually skiing . Now settle for quality rather than quantity . Pouring rain now with a freeze up in the forecast . March used to be a good ski month years ago with mid winter type snow , not so anymore .
Anthony

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Anthony wrote:March used to be a good ski month years ago with mid winter type snow , not so anymore .

My gut reaction is to be very skeptical of this assertion. However I will try get around to analyzing March snowfall at the Eastern resorts I track to see if there is any trend. A the overall season level there is no trend. I do know that the East had huge snowfall Marches in 2001 and 2007.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Anthony » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:44 pm

The end of the lift served ski season is fast approaching ( aside from MSS which hangs in there until May ) . Tremblant is closed this week but will open for the weekend and then close for the season . Most of the small centres are already closed for the season . The closures are not from lack of snow just the lack of skiers as the interest just drops off. Doesn't help that the weather has remained cold preventing corn snow and holding on to the dreaded frozen granular . Last Saturday ( April 6 ) temps never got above the freezing point with a north wind . Will see how this weekend plays out. Overall , decent Laurentian season this year with lots of powder/new snow days while temps were on the mild side .
Anthony

Postby Patrick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 am

This is from the next Eastern Closing post. I've already done some work on it. Here is what I have for the Laurentians/Lanuadière region.

Avila - April 20 (Apr 14 tentative weekend)
Blanc – April 14 (tentative)
Garceau – April 14 (tentative) weekend only
St-Sauveur – May 14 (tentative)
Tremblant - April 14 (Fri-Sun)
Vallée Bleue – weekends only - April 14
Val St-Côme - weekends only - April 14 (tentative)

In Ottawa, we still have Fortune and a tentative Cascades for this weekend.

Here is part 1 of that post. Looking for a new post on Thursday evening:
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... 13-part-1/

Oh yeah, looks like some snow is in the forecast for Friday. :popcorn: In VT, MRG was suppose to close on Sunday, but on Saturday they made it clear that they might reopen this coming weekend.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Anthony » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:05 pm

IF you define spring skiing as lots of sun , corn and temps in the 50's with no north winds then you are out of luck this year. The April weekends in the Laurentians have been overcast , windy with temps below normal . Today , we have snow/sleet combo with strong winds to keep the pattern going . Aside from MSS , the lift served season ended last weekend with good coverage but no ticket buying customers as the classic spring weekend never materialized. We had a local joke that we had a better chance for powder this year than corn . Despite the cold spring ,skiers seem satisfied with the winter season , myself included. If I am done for the season than no regrets as my road biking club is up and riding so time to change gears.
Anthony

Postby Patrick » Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 am

Anthony wrote:If I am done for the season than no regrets as my road biking club is up and riding so time to change gears.

I'm taking over for Anthony as he seems to be gone on his bike.

I've skied the last two Sundays at MSS. They are still going strong (the only other area in Kmart) and are going to spin again this weekend. Will it be the last weekend? If they want to go for one more, they can judging on the amount of snow left on Hill 70. Snow isn't melting much this week, they got some flurries and it's been -5c the last two nights.

Mont St-Sauveur QC : May 5, 2013 – Skiing in May, Encore!!!
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/05/ ... ay-encore/

Mont St-Sauveur QC : May 12, 2013 – May, Mothers’ Day and Montréal
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/05/ ... -montreal/

First Sunday was full summer with bikinis and shorts. Mothers' Day was cold and gray.

Two TRs within one week with pics...I know, it's a miracle. :mrgreen:
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed May 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Patrick wrote:the lift where suppose to be open from 11 am to 5pm.

Does this make much sense? With warm weather and presumably no overnight freeze, isn't early morning going to be best? I'll bet no salting either. Isn't the snow sticky, and trying to throw you "over the handlebars" in flat spots?
Patrick wrote:Geek alert: Since I started keeping track, I had never skied on the 12th making it with December 23rd the only two days unskied between December 8 and May 26.

My unskied April (24, 27) and May (5, 6, 15) dates have passed without being skied again. Dec. 6 was a first this season, while Dec. 9, 14, 24 and 25 remain unskied.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 am

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote:the lift were suppose to be open from 11 am to 5pm.

Does this make much sense? With warm weather and presumably no overnight freeze, isn't early morning going to be best? I'll bet no salting either. Isn't the snow sticky, and trying to throw you "over the handlebars" in flat spots?

Read the TR. Early morning was reserved for a race camp. Yes, salting where the kids were training was hard. Surface weren't that soft on May 12. It was artificial ice crystal corn :mrgreen: on May 5... which is much faster snow than the natural stuff. :dead horse:

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote:Geek alert: Since I started keeping track, I had never skied on the 12th making it with December 23rd the only two days unskied between December 8 and May 26.

My unskied April (24, 27) and May (5, 6, 15) dates have passed without being skied again. Dec. 6 was a first this season, while Dec. 9, 14, 24 and 25 remain unskied.

Only first this season were October 31, November 1 and May 12. If I'm not working, Dec 23 should be easier - I just have to start my Christmas shopping earlier.

The next day (not sure if I can make it due to a number of reasons) is May 26. If I get the 26th in...I would have a Dec 9 to May 29 with only missing Dec 23. Didn't ski May 30, 31, June 2, 6, 7 and 8 until past mid-June.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu May 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Patrick wrote: Early morning was reserved for a race camp

That's what Blackcomb does in June/July: the public is not allowed to ski until noon. Thus I have essentially zero desire to check that out. Adam went to Mike Douglas' camp there in June 2002.

Patrick wrote:which is much faster snow than the natural stuff.

We could have checked that out at Big Bear this year. Liz inquired during the first week of April, the last week it was open this season. I thought it would be total slop and not worth the drive. I'm still skeptical as I've seen very grabby snow around the base areas of Snow Summit and Mt. High on hot days, same as I observed at Killington April 29, 1990. On that day I liked the bump skiing on Superstar but the open groomed runs were very sticky.

I have had good days at Baldy in late April and May of big years, but that's natural snow with steep pitch, similar skiing to Mammoth in May/June.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 am

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote: Early morning was reserved for a race camp

That's what Blackcomb does in June/July: the public is not allowed to ski until noon. Thus I have essentially zero desire to check that out. Adam went to Mike Douglas' camp there in June 2002.

I did it prior to the camp years. :mrgreen: It was actually Blackcomb 1st summer.

Camps are done...MSS confirmed that they'll be open for the 3-day weekend 9am to 4pm. I'm all day in Montreal on Saturday. They might be open the following weekend. Not sure if K can make it to June, unless they go with the 1990s standards (ie. walking, sometimes serious walking, involved).

Tony Crocker wrote:
Patrick wrote:which is much faster snow than the natural stuff.

I'm still skeptical as I've seen very grabby snow around the base areas of Snow Summit and Mt. High on hot days, same as I observed at Killington April 29, 1990. On that day I liked the bump skiing on Superstar but the open groomed runs were very sticky.

Once you done with the Natural stuff and it's changes into Ice crystal it doesn't slow you down...maybe just the pills slush snow. Not everyone likes it, especially beginners.

Update of the current status of the two spinning areas with vital stat on my blog or via link in other thread.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Once you done with the Natural stuff and it's changes into Ice crystal it doesn't slow you down...maybe just the pills slush snow. Not everyone likes it, especially beginners.

I'm not buying it. Natural snow, after it's been baked for a few weeks, is probably just as dense and granular as manmade. Crystal last July 1 comes to mind. When any kind of snow is at that stage you need some pitch so that gravity overcomes the stickiness. Steeper runs are good; flat runs suck, which is certainly the way is was after 11AM or so today at Mammoth. Crystal has nice pitch so the skiing there was OK. Beginners by definition are on flat runs so of course they hate late spring snow.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Sat May 18, 2013 6:56 am

:deadhorse:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Patrick » Sun May 19, 2013 11:39 pm

No stickiness today either. I guess it just a coincidence that I've skied 3 May days and haven't found what you describe. Admin knows that Hill 70 isn't only pitch and isn't ever close in steepness on the stuff we skied at Crystal. :-" Half the run is green material.
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Mon May 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Another weekend in Montreal with not enough time to go further to ski. Business stuff spilled over into Sunday morn.

30 minutes detour back to Ottawa after leaving Montreal past noon. Got 2.5 hours of skiing at MSS. Still about 4-10 feet on most of the trail. They might open next week if the weather (not necessarily snowpack) cooperates. They were suppose to open today, Victoria Day, but with 60% chance of showers, they remained closed. Judging on the amount of snow, I would say that June isn't totally impossible.

Didn't bring the camera on the hill with me. Snow looked pretty much the same as the previous Sunday. A few pictures from the bottom. Even saw one from a car with Vermont plates.

Mt St-Sauveur QC – May 19, 2013 : Encore??? There is still skiing???
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/mt-st-sauveur-qc-may-19-2013-encore-there-is-still-skiing/

No bikini weather...that would have been Saturday. It was a Green, White and Gray Sunday at MSS.

You don't see many Green plates at MSS.

Après-ski hikers

MSS in the rain
Ski Mad World
Patrick

Postby otisdelarosa » Wed May 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Anthony wrote:Well, we had almost a 3 week stretch of above average skiing with over 4 feet of snow falling . Reality is back as the last 2 days have been nothing but low hanging clouds , fog , mist and rain . The snow pack is currently wet saturated snow with temps above the freezing point for over 24 hours . The best thing for the natural snow trails would be to stay off them and let them drain out prior to the inevitable freeze up which should take place within the next 24 hours. Upcoming weekend looks questionable as remains to be seen if any snow falls during the freeze up.

How about this month til next? any updates about Laurentian?
www.skiorganizers.com
otisdelarosa

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America