Is anyone actually skiing back there??

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Is anyone actually skiing back there??

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 pm

OK, we've seen PQ watching snowmaking guns in central NY, Kingslug hopped a bus to K-Mart and Anthony is watching skiffs of snow blow around the Laurentians. Is anyone else actually skiing back east? I know the answer is "yes," so where are the posts? Inquiring minds want to know -- get those TR's up to let your fellow readers know what it's like out there!

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is anyone actually skiing back there??

Postby jasoncapecod » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 am

skiing one run at Hunter doesn't warrant a post..
things are looking very bleak here..
jasoncapecod

Postby Admin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 am

jasoncapecod wrote:skiing one run at Hunter doesn't warrant a post.

Au contraire. Would be nice to see the good, the bad and the ugly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Well , last weekend dropped 2 of the kids off for their mandatory ski instructor refresher course and took one look at the hill and said f... it . The " WROD " just doesn't do it . Currently pouring rain out with temps in the 50's . On the bright side , not like were loosing all this powder . :lol:
Anthony

Postby berkshireskier » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:05 am

Yep, grass is still green here. Playing golf is a better option than skiing, right now. Let's hope this winter does NOT resemble last winter.
berkshireskier

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 am

Not skiing, but I was at yesterday's NY State Media Night event. The big news is that with ORDA now operating Belleayre instead of the DEC, they're working together with the private hills (Plattekill, Hunter, and Windham) to promote the Catskills. They're only taking baby steps right now (a combined ski card, a $10 promotion in January, etc.), but it could eventually turn into something substantial for the region.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Admin wrote:Is anyone else actually skiing back east? I know the answer is "yes," so where are the posts?

It would be nice if we could get people like JSpin and Riverc0il back, even if only posting URL's to their own blogs like Patrick is doing much of the time.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby marcski » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 pm

Took the girls to Jiminy last Sunday. Warm, soft snow. They blew/blow a ton there and it skied quite well on what they described as 21 trails. Run of the day was Cutter. Just so happens it seemed as though it was the only run that was not groomed.

Platty was originally scheduled to open today but with this weekend's warm weather, Laz put it off for a week. I am looking forward to being back up at Platty, the home hill.
marcski

Postby Harvey44 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 pm

I've skied 3 days, 2 at Gore and one at Windham. (First time at Windham). Honestly it's hard as hell to post on NYSB, be a half-assed dad/husband, hold down a job, and ski. Admin... I'll give trade you a decent NY TR for a Pow Mow or Alta. :wink:

I'm in agreement with James on the NY media night. I spent some time speaking with Ted Blazer, and I was convinced that he is embracing the Catskills. It was pretty cool to see/hear.

Shout out to Tony Crocker! A newpaper guy from the Schenectedy Paper tracked me down and gave us some strokes on NYSB. He said he was turned on to our site by a friend of his in California... I'm guessing that might be you. Thanks!

Big time fingers crossed for Laz + D... man they need it after last year! Support the team!
NYSkiBlog.com
Harvey44

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 am

Not sure who the Schenectady guy is. If I'm the contact he must be from NASJA.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Patrick » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm always too busy in the Fall to go skiing.

If you remove James or myself from the East last season, you'll noticed that we accounted from the increasing important portion of Eastern TR writers. It's not new this season, the roots started a few years ago as regulars left and lost of new blood, its a downward spiral.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 pm

Patrick wrote:I'm always too busy in the Fall to go skiing.

And Fall skiing in the East is generally a waste of resources, unless you're JSpin cherry-picking each snowfall in your immediate vicinity.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby SKI-3PO » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:38 pm

OK, I'll bite.

I skied Hunter this weekend. They had 2 runs from top to bottom (and I believe 1 in the beginner area?) Drove up Friday in the rain, and considered not even going out on Saturday as the last forecast I heard was for more rain showers. Ended up driving to the mountain in some fog Saturday morning, but no precipitation. Got a bit of a late start but found nice soft snow and no ice on the only open runs. Through the morning the sun started to appear until it was full on blue sky. Soft bumps formed early on Hellgate/Broadway/Kennedy. It turned out to be a nice spring day. Oh, it's December? Saturday night must have gotten just below freezing because after being groomed out overnight the same terrain was smooth ice in most places on Sunday morning. Cooler temps and little/no sun didn't help soften things up much until much later. More buses and more crowds didn't help things either. Saturday was definitely the better day. They had very little snowmaking time on Belt Pkwy last week - very good coverage considering, but thin spots were developing. Drove back home again through a constant rain. At least we avoided the wet stuff on the mountain. More rain today probably left it not too good up there. Looks like snowmaking temps for the rest of the week starting Tuesday. This weekend should be better.

Sorry, no pics.
SKI-3PO

Postby Harvey44 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:And Fall skiing in the East is generally a waste of resources, unless you're JSpin cherry-picking each snowfall in your immediate vicinity.

Skiing is generally a waste of resources, but it sure is fun. Hell the same could be said about living.

I guess if fall is mostly September and October, I'll grant you. But if you're talking about anything pre 12/21 then that's a generalization. Maybe you're covered because you did say "generally." Saying one person's choice on how to have fun is a waste seems arbitrary. Fun is by definition a "waste." Or it's essential, and therefor not.

Saturday was a good day at every eastern resort from what I saw/read. And Sunday was bulletproof.
NYSkiBlog.com
Harvey44

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 am

Most people's resources (time and $) are finite. If you're using those resources to ski current eastern conditions instead of January-March, that's what I define as a waste of resources. Someone like harvey44, for whom the marginal cost is practically zero (own housing, season pass), that's a different situation.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Next

Return to Eastern North America