Is anyone actually skiing back there??

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Is anyone actually skiing back there??

Postby kingslug » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Its a crap shoot but I think the odds of getting better conditions in the west than here are better than 10 to 1. I haven't skied a day this month..so the 600 or so dollars I didn't spend would have better spent in Utah...Last year was a freak event so I'm not counting it...we have had very miserable conditions here..yes they are better 6 or 7 hours north but then I might as well fly out..plus I would be going with a good group as opposed to skiing solo..on ice...
kingslug

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:21 am

kingslug wrote:Its a crap shoot but I think the odds of getting better conditions in the west than here are better than 10 to 1.

That may be true but the odds of getting busted on a ~$1,000 western trip in December are well over 10%. If it's early December it could be close to 50%. I would save the expensive trips until after New Year's. I've gotten on an airplane to go skiing before New Year's twice lifetime, and one of those was the Antarctic trip a year ago. Part of my puzzlement is that all these easterners are chomping at the bit to roll the dice out here in December, yet most of them turn up their noses at much more reliable wall-to-wall skiing in April. :dead horse: I know, it's cold at home so I have to go skiing even if it's crappy; if it's warm at home I'll play golf or whatever even if the skiing is great. That doesn't make it logical; it should be about the expected quality of the skiing if you're spending $$$ and vacation time.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:42 am

You raise valid points, but speaking of :dead horse: not everyone has, or has to have, or even should have the same set of priorities as you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Patrick » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:07 am

Admin wrote:You raise valid points, but speaking of :dead horse: not everyone has, or has to have, or even should have the same set of priorities as you.

You forgot...

Or freedom to take or have the amount of vacation that you had...prior to retirement. :bow:
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 am

Tony Crocker wrote:getting busted on a ~$1,000 western trip in December are well over 10%. If it's early December it could be close to 50%. I would save the expensive trips until after New Year's.

If it's your only fly-to destination trip of the season, yes, I'd agree; however, most of us here don't fall into that group unless they live close enough to top-shelf mountains. I've had isolated instances of good December skiing in the East, but you can't count on it. Since I don't want to have the choice of WRODs or not skiing at all, I'll continue my pre-Xmas strategy of going either to the Cottonwoods (very good probability of paydirt) or Grand Targhee (excellent probability of paydirt).
jamesdeluxe

Postby kingslug » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:30 am

Well its almost January and I still only managed to ski on 3 trails...all day...we're still hurtin round these parts...but its getting better...next year..I'm rolling the dice!
kingslug

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:04 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:I've had isolated instances of good December skiing in the East, but you can't count on it. Since I don't want to have the choice of WRODs or not skiing at all, I'll continue my pre-Xmas strategy of going either to the Cottonwoods (very good probability of paydirt) or Grand Targhee (excellent probability of paydirt).

If I understand correctly, you're willing to live with eastern skiing during the core of the season when it's decent 2/3 to 3/4 of the time and you presumably have some flexibility to avoid when it's bad? So the December trip is an extension of your season into a time frame when the East is often not worth it? Do you ever consider western trips in late season when the East is melting down?
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby kingslug » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:33 am

Late season trips are the only way to extend the season ...we are usualy all melted down by the end of March..
kingslug

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 am

Tony Crocker wrote: Do you ever consider western trips in late season when the East is melting down?

I have a much better chance of getting decent conditions in the East during the late season (the last three weeks before April 15) than during the early season (before Xmas); hence, my annual early-season trip out west. If money and vacation time weren't an issue; sure, I'd go on a western trip in late spring, but given my limitations, I'll continue my current MO.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:08 am

jamesdeluxe wrote:I have a much better chance of getting decent conditions in the East during the late season (the last three weeks before April 15) than during the early season (before Xmas)

It depends upon one's definition of "decent" but I do agree with this based upon reports I read here. The odds of the more interesting eastern terrain being skiable are higher late season than early season, though unlike the west significantly lower than mid-season.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:22 pm

This season so far has given me a bit of appreciation for jamesdeluxe's December strategy. While there is a risk of inadequate coverage, the upside of skiing December before Christmas is significant. The uncrowded slopes between Thanksgiving and Christmas make for great conditions when there's enough snow, and powder days are less competitive. I've been reminded of this by the 11 days on 3 trips to Mammoth, and while I got a lot more of it this year I've observed this phenomenon at Mammoth in December in several other good seasons.

I would not advocate Mammoth as one of james' December objectives because on Dec. 15 it is less than 1/4 open in 20% of seasons and less than half open in an additional 20%. In terms of big ski destinations I think the odds of committing to mid-December far in advance are safest at LCC/BCC and Whistler. Obviously Targhee is safe but Jackson (which most people would want to combine for a trip) seems to get into majority operation right on Christmas much of the time. Bachelor, Steamboat and Vail are not as safe as the above areas but more consistent than Mammoth. Most other destinations are worse, thus my more general advice to hold off advance committed $ until after New Year's.
Ski Records
Tony Crocker

Postby kingslug » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 am

Well all I can say at this point is...when I'm skiing in drizzle this Sunday. I'll be wishing I was anywhere west...2 weeks till Whistler....things are looking good over there..
kingslug

Previous

Return to Eastern North America