Sugarbush 12/23/12

flyover

5 – 14 inches of classic northern-Greens blower-on-bulletproof. The ski report indicated 7 inches at the base and 12 at the Summit overnight, but the wind had clearly moved things around and freshies in the trees were up to my knees on the upper reaches of the mountain, while barely up to the boot buckles on the sides of the trails at the base. Coverage was good all over the hill with the exception of Paradise, which in my opinion shouldn’t have been open. A lot is still closed (Castlerock, North Lynx), but I suspect more will open after Christmas. I didn’t arrive at the hill until 9:45 this morning (I flew into Burlington last night after a gruesome week at work and really needed the sleep) so I missed most of the on-trail untracked. It wasn’t difficult to find untracked in the trees throughout the day, but last night’s snow was so low-density that only turns on low-angle terrain were bottomless. Otherwise encountering the underlying crust was common in the morning and frequent in the afternoon. Lifts were ski-on all day after about 11:15 a.m. All-in-all, conditions were WAY better than I expected when I got on the plane yesterday.

In other news, this was my first adult ski day of the season (I’ve been to the molehill with my daughter) and I was pleasantly surprised that with only a 20 minute lunch break my legs held in there until about 3:00 when I started skiing cruisers.

Although it dawned sunny, it was mostly grey today with intermittent, localized upslope snow showers. I left the camera at home.

MRG opens tomorrow and they plan to spin the single. I’ve got a cord of wood to move before Christmas festivities begin, so I’m not sure if I’ll make it to the hill, but will try to post if I do. More snow is expected later in the week, and there is no predicted thaw in sight so the conditions may continue to improve.

Glad to see the report, thank you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

flyover":3vhjl4x9 said:
I suspect more will open after Christmas.

Well I was right about more being opened, but I was wrong about the timing. Yesterday they had 61/111 trails open. Today they have 98/111 open.

MRG says they will be opening with 40+ today.

Back