Edelweiss QC : Dec 27, 12 - Snowstorm 2 & why this isn't VT

We also thought of going to VT today but bailed on this as the hassle factor plus crowds chasing the POW could result in limited ski time compared to the 5 hours round trip of driving. Hit obscure Laurentian hills with boot deep snow so not so bad . Lot of branches down from the heavy snow last week which caused the power outages . Alta still not open as they are waiting for their chairlift inspection to take place which was scheduled for last week but cancelled due to the storm .

Anthony":23vw7o56 said:
Hit obscure Laurentian hills with boot deep snow so not so bad .

Snow was above the ski boot yesterday; it was deeper in some places. I'll write a TR for the week, but don't want to right an individual one everyday. Today was colder and they opened Zoomer and Trou du Diable (which I had skied yesterday). Not sure if it was intentional, but where they removed the closed sign at the top of Zoomer, they didn't add an extra sign for the traverse towards the other runs to the West (Easter Bowl, Poma line (or whatever its call), Strief and Shot Gun). There was some real deep snow on Easter Bowl; unfortunately I didn't have my widden sign and came to the hill with the B2s as I was expecting wall-to-wall grooming. A sign was placed after lunch shutting down that side of the mountain; that is why Edelweiss (MSSI) doesn't have the same mentality or clientele as VT.

Anthony":23vw7o56 said:
Alta still not open as they are waiting for their chairlift inspection to take place which was scheduled for last week but cancelled due to the storm .

That is a disaster for them; I don't think they have managed to be open for Christmas in the last few years and now, when the conditions were epic, they doesn't spin their lift. Mont Alta situation is pretty precarious and missing the last week is enormous IMO).

Back