Jay Peak December 30

mitch28

The wind was howling at Jay today, blowing the reported 5 inches off the slopes and into the trees. Some of the high traffic areas were inclined skating rinks, but the glades were filled with soft snow. The Flyer and the Tram were on wind hold, and stayed that way all day. The Bonnie and the Jet were running, but the rides up were frigid. The narrow entrances to Deliverance were in rough shape, with a lot of exposed rocks and branches. As the run opened up, coverage became better. Show Off Glades were in great shape, with plenty of untracked lines. I did have some trouble here though: one of my skis got caught in a tree branch buried under the snow, so I ejected and dove forward head first. Luckily the landing was soft! Can Am was open, but it looked pretty rough from the ride up, so I avoided it. Timbuktu was skiing nicely, with some untouched snow along the boundary. Powerline had great moguls on the side, but was showing plenty of rocks down the middle. I would have liked to try Everglade and Beaver Pond, but my first ride up the Metro Quad felt like it would never end, so one trip up was enough.

The day ended early because my buddy didn't bring his balaclava and was on the verge of frostbite. I didn't mind calling it quits either because the wind wasn't showing any sign of letting up, and I was losing sensation in my fingers. I am off to Snowbird on Tuesday, and I'm hoping that the forecast changes because, as of now, they're calling for sun all week!

mitch28":11y0cv2x said:
I am off to Snowbird on Tuesday, and I'm hoping that the forecast changes because, as of now, they're calling for sun all week!
No change till Friday at the earliest, but no real possibility of storm of any sort until Sunday, 1/6.
Don't fret - it will still be great skiing (likely better than anything in the East) and not nearly as cold as northern VT, even on a cold day.

Pretty much the same all over the coast..at Hunter it was howling at the top, blew it all off down to the ice but good a hundred feet down. Thursday and Friday where the best days all around.

Marc_C":27rrs3gf said:
mitch28":27rrs3gf said:
I am off to Snowbird on Tuesday, and I'm hoping that the forecast changes because, as of now, they're calling for sun all week!
No change till Friday at the earliest, but no real possibility of storm of any sort until Sunday, 1/6.
UPDATE: as Drew said in today's avi advisory....
...with what looks to be a week to ten days or more of high pressure on the horizon.

Howard Scheckter at Mammoth":19x6esxa said:
...as “a guesstimate“…figure sometime after the 3rd week of January for some serious weather. The pattern that just developed often times lasts about 3 weeks…… Lets hope for a few small storms in the meantime…..

My observation is that Utah often manages "a few small storms" in this scenario. 3 winter weeks of completely dry is not unusual at all in the Sierra.

Back