La Reserve Laurentians - Feb 23 , 2013

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

La Reserve Laurentians - Feb 23 , 2013

Postby Anthony » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Ok , after watching video clips of the Jay powder looked out at the Laurentian landscape covered in a few inches of new snow with more in the forecast . Take what you can get . Older kids didn't have to teach skiing today and they wanted to go to La Reserve . So off we went crossing over the Laurentian shield from Morin Heights to St. Donat thru the fog with light snow falling . La Reserve is one big rock pile sticking out of the Laurentian shield . Had to adjust my skiing as have been lucky this year floating in lots of powder. Not the case at La Reserve today . The steep tight tree runs were scraped down with stumps and rocks showing requiring a quick wake up call and technical quick turns . The open face of La Reserve was skiable with lots of cliffs and frozen water falls to jump from . The steep frozen waterfalls at La Reserve and tight woods to the sides would challenge any eastern skier. A cliff jumpers paradise . The uphill lift capacity of 2/ 4 person chairs and steep terrain leads to the steep sections being scraped down rather quickly . Today had its moments but i just wasn't in the game today . Kids said you have been skiing too much powder . Checked out the Snow Cat skiing ( yes - snow cat in the Laurentians if you can believe it ) which has remained closed. Ski Patrol came over and told me might look good from up top but lots of rocks on the way down. For a extra $10.00 want to try this but hardly ever opened .
Anthony

Re: La Reserve Laurentians - Feb 23 , 2013

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 am

I can imagine that it'd be a very fun 1,000 verts with the right conditions.

Can't remember if I posted it, but here's a recent article about the Laurentians that I wrote. La Reserve was my favorite among the group.
jamesdeluxe

Postby mitch28 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

I've always liked La Reserve. It's a 15 minute drive from my cottage so I tend to go there when I want to ski for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I think the 3 hour ticket for students is around 20$, and its well worth it for non-existent lifelines and surprisingly challenging terrain. I've been meaning to try their cat skiing, but I haven't been able to time it properly yet.
mitch28

Postby marcski » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:03 pm

mitch28 wrote:I've always liked La Reserve. It's a 15 minute drive from my cottage so I tend to go there when I want to ski for a couple of hours in the afternoon. I think the 3 hour ticket for students is around 20$, and its well worth it for non-existent lifelines and surprisingly challenging terrain. I've been meaning to try their cat skiing, but I haven't been able to time it properly yet.

My good buddy has a family place right around you, as he says they are only about 10 minutes from La Reserve, he must be your neighbor! They love La Reserve and I believe he was on their race team as a kid and they continue to often ski right there as opposed to traveling the extra distance and $$ to Tremblant. In fact, just this past weekend, he showed me some pics with some really nice looking terrain from his trip up there this past Christmas and New Years.
marcski

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Mitch and Anthony: how does Mont Garceau compare to La Reserve?

For non-Quebeckers, scroll halfway down in this TR.
jamesdeluxe

Postby mitch28 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Garceau and La Reserve have similar vertical, but I've always preferred La Reserve. The terrain is more challenging, and there are usually smaller crowds.
mitch28

Postby Anthony » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Good question , like both areas for different reasons. Garceau has some interesting trails on skiers left in the woods and the old T bar track . even some side country on skiers left . The pitch isn't that steep and the chair is slow but the pitch is consistent enough to offer good skiing . La Reserve has a steep summit if you ski down the face but it only drops down a few hundred feet and then the remainder of the mountain is actually flatter than Garceau. The steep summit often gets skied out rather quickly as it is under 2 / 4 person chairs just dumping the skiers and boarders off . I would say after a large snowfall ( > 6 " ) La Reserve would be my first choice just to ski the face and rock ledges . Garceau would by my first choice with a moderate snowfall (< 6 ") as the low angle trails /glades would ski better . If you are in the area try out both as they are about 15 minutes apart with the village of St. Donat in between .
Anthony

Return to Eastern North America