Laurentian Powder Day March 22, 2013

Anthony

On my Laurentian snow report post I lamented how it never snows in March anymore ! Man , was I wrong as the kids tell me when a major storm on Tuesday dumped almost 2 feet of dry snow . Working in Montreal all week was concerned the snow would transform or develop a crust before getting to it . Took a vacation day to hit some local side country with my middle daughter who didn't have any classes . Turned out nothing to worry about as almost 2 feet of dry snow on top of a very deep frozen sold base so no concerns on hitting any stumps/rocks . Amazing run after run in deep snow close to home without spending a ton of money on lift tickets . Don't mind skiing 500' vertical when you have snow like this and no competition . Like having a hill in your backyard.

Attachments

• 11A.jpg
    11A.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 5,846
  • 12A.jpg
    12A.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 5,838
  • 13A.jpg
    13A.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5,842
  • 14A.jpg
    14A.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 5,850
  • photo (15)a.jpg
    photo (15)a.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 5,791
I had a similar experience today. A certain Laurentian hill didn't open this year, so my friends and I decided to earn some turns there. After 2 laps on snowshoes we realized there was a road leading to the top, so we did our own version of cat skiing, where our car was the cat and we rotated drivers each run. Boot deep all day.

Know the place my old home mountain , will see how long it lasts as a hike and ski place . Still hoping beyond hope that they open next year . The village of Val David banned parking at the base of Plante this year cutting off the easy access to another popular hike and ski place.

Back