Whiteface - 2013-03-20

admafw

Day one of a 3 day road trip. My first day skiing full-time on pair of 2 yr old demo skis I'd bought a couple of weeks earlier - Atomic Nomad Crimson Ti's. Between the powder and the crud, I ain't never going back to skinny GS racing skis again...

Lots of fresh snow on the mountain although really windy areas were showing some wind scour. Fresh tracks were available to those willing to ski the edges and trees. The fresh snow appeared to be heavier/wetter than I what I found over the next couple of days in central Vermont. By the end of day there were patches where the snow had started to get scraped off to the "packed powder" base. Still, overall conditions were excellent, especially compared to the 80 degrees I skied last year on the same Wednesday. (No shorts today, no walking from the summit chair down to where the snow starts.)

The cold, snowy, cloudy day didn't lend itself to pictures and it turns out the one time the sun did come out that my camera batteries were dead anyway. (Will post pics on the next 2 TR's to follow.)

Back