ATTITASH MARCH 29 /CRANMORE MARCH 30 NH

Anthony

Found myself in NH this weekend so tried out two hills that were new to me but routine to most. Skied Attitash on Friday under a mixed bag of weather with sun , wind , sleet, snow and rain at all different intervals during the day . Temps were on the mild side by the time we arrived around 11. 30 so the snow had softened up . With light crowds, spent the day skiing the groomers making high speed turns . Skied the whole area as good coverage thanks to a massive snow making effort as natural snow has already melted out . Decent snow and long empty trails made the day interesting . On Saturday headed over to historic Cranmore under clear conditions without a cloud in sight . Finally a classic spring ski day under the sun and temps around 50 F so no problems with flat light something that I have a problem with . Spent the day ripping the groomers and skiing the one bump run . Cranmore advised they were closing today and Attitash April 7 . Overall , good two days out on the trails with great corn snow ,non existent traffic and discounted lift tickets.

Tony Crocker":3r4cfwsi said:
Anthony":3r4cfwsi said:
as natural snow has already melted out
????? In this, a consensus good March?
Was sort of a funny winter in the Northeast. Some areas had quite a bit of natural snowfall. Other sections had much less snowfall, but there was enough cold weather for most of the winter that most of the ski areas were able to make a lot of snow. And when the natural snowfall came, it was like the proverbial icing on the cake, making for good conditions and good skiing. The ground is now completely bare outside my office in Western MA but there is still a 2 to 3 foot base at my local ski mountain and there is maybe 6 to 10 inches of snow left in the woods higher on the mountain. My local hill originally planned to close yesterday for the season but now they have said that they will re-open for this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I would say this is a good March based on the last 20 years . The east is made up of various regions when you look at Eastern Canada and North East US . For example at my home base in the Laurentians of Quebec the snowpack is still at 3 feet at a elevation just under 2000' while in NH there was only patches of snow at this elevation . All the natural snow in NH is at higher elevations . Mount Washington and the ravine looked great from the valley floor . The season up in the ravine should last well into the spring . Attitash and Cranmore are low elevation ski areas in comparison to the other peaks in the region so the natural snow had more or less melted out .

Attachments

• NH3.jpg
    NH3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 7,224
  • NH5.jpg
    NH5.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 7,216
  • NH6.jpg
    NH6.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 7,216
Back