Greek Peak lives!!!

Powderqueen

New owners from Elmira bought it for $7.5 million. Debt load was $47 million.

Seasons passes are on sale for $299 (and much less if you buy for your family).

We are all pretty happy about this here. They new owners are skiers and plan to expand glades and snowmaking. It may be a while before we get a much-needed new lift, but in the meantime, we'll manage the way it is until the new management generates some capital. I believe it can be done. The Krygers spent our tax dollars foolishly. I do see a chance for the place to make money with the debt wiped out. Hopefully we'll see better marketing and better people in management. There is definitely enough of a market here in CNY, but there are a lot of skiers who didn't buy passes last year because of the situation, not to mention the cost. If they bring back the "six pack" (pre-buy six lift tix at a discounted price early season) I think they can get some of that business back and have something to get the season started.

For some reason, this season they had great snow and the grooming seemed much improved.

We had rain here last night and today. More cold weather this week should bring snow showers. There should be decent skiing on the weekend.

Rumor of a Thursday (6/13/13) press conference announcing ~$3.5M in improvements to The good ol' Greekus Peakus.

I'm not sure I can get to that size of a number without a new lift -assuming it is all on-hill improvements. On the other hand, maybe the largest share of it is simply getting thorough the backlog of deferred maintenance, lol. I guess only 24 hrs to wait to find out....

Finally a new lift for the Peak! The youngest all new chair lift at GP is currently from 1979. Replacing 1A with a fixed grip quad, though with moving carpet style loading so higher speed than basic fixed grip lifts. Chair 1 stays which might make a cheaper weekday option to run when it's not crowded, but both lifts combined would overwhelm the slopes with too many skiers if they try running both on the weekends...

Add in a new groomer and snowmaking upgrades with a few new guns and nebulous changes to the Iliad snowmaking infrastructure and you get over $3M in capital spent... Ironic that Sugarloaf is spending less than that according to admin's latest story, lol.

Star Gazette article.
http://www.stargazette.com/article/20130613/NEWS01/306130018/Elmira-owners-Greek-Peak-begin-upgrades

EMSC":2bhswo5c said:
Ironic that Sugarloaf is spending less than that according to admin's latest story, lol.
Something tells me that Sugarloaf can't claim the insane extent of deferred maintenance that GP has.

jamesdeluxe":24t192p0 said:
Something tells me that Sugarloaf can't claim the insane extent of deferred maintenance that GP has.

Perhaps GP will learn what a 'grease-less sheave' is during the upgrade process, lol. I'm almost surprised they didn't call out $x for deferred maint in the presser. Sounds from Harvey's site that that is what the snowmaking 'upgrades' really are.

Harvey44":2f6udcsw said:
jamesdeluxe":2f6udcsw said:

LOL. Understatement of the year?

We had a guy at the press conference. May be a few details in our article that were left out by the mainstream media.

http://nyskiblog.com/greek-peak-press-conference/

Agree! Maybe a sort of understatement.. Let's confirm it first.. 8-[

Back