Killington Opens This Weekend

Patrick":h0543wpp said:
And....? That's it? :troll: :mrgreen:

That's up to you Eastern trolls to bounce back and forth. Heck, I left the East Coast nearly a decade ago and don't plan to return.

Admin":i98uxdgi said:
Patrick":i98uxdgi said:
And....? That's it? :troll: :mrgreen:

That's up to you Eastern trolls to bounce back and forth. Heck, I left the East Coast nearly a decade ago and don't plan to return.

I see at least one more area opening this weekend or sooner. Two are making snow (other than Kmart).

Wanna give me a hint? I've heard nothing further that's official and aside from blowing out the mice in a few spots (i.e., Sunday River and MSS) and a bit of natural snow in MD, WV, etc., I'm not seeing any concerted effort at any of the usual suspects, not even at Woodbury. I do see that Tremblant made some snow in a deliberate pattern on the north side but they've given no indication that they intend to try to operate for another month.

So in short, you sort of lost me here.

these early openings are nothing more than publicity stunts..
the east is going to warm up next week ...wasting money that could be better spent when it turns cold for good..

jasoncapecod":1e08apae said:
:brick:
What else is new? Its always been the case. Killington open this afternoon, Sunday River on Saturday.

jasoncapecod":1e08apae said:
the east is going to warm up next week ...wasting money that could be better spent when it turns cold for good..

Just like last October's "couple inches of slop". :stir:

jasoncapecod":34vzze93 said:
Pretty important for Patrick I think. He won't have to skin up a sketchy fire road at Whiteface or drive 10 hours to WV this year. We need to do something here in January to commemorate the upcoming 100-month milestone.

I don't recall hearing about Patrick's July, Aug or Sept adventures this summer. There must have been something in there though if he's still on track.

EMSC":zmbfm2xb said:
I don't recall hearing about Patrick's July, Aug or Sept adventures this summer. There must have been something in there though if he's still on track.

Pathetic level in June/July to something I've already done requiring one plane ticket on points for one weekend (in the same league as my Colorado Oct 2007 experience, but not on a WROD).

I looked it up...the East has had one or more ski areas spinning at least one day in October since the streak started at Wildcat in October 2005 for all but one year.

2005 : Wildcat and Killington
2006?
2007 : Sunday River
2008 : Sunday River
2009 : Sunday River and St-Sauveur
2010 : Sunday River
2011 : Killington, Sunday River and St-Sauveur
2012 : Killington
2013 : Killington, Sunday River and ???

Don't know if any other small areas has open à la Woodbury, but I believe this is it for the important players in the Northeast and Quebec. I think one year something in the South opened in October.

Tony Crocker":jjtu3v7p said:
upcoming 100-month milestone.

I'm aiming for a few 100s this season, some are rather ambitious.

100-month (current is 96)
100th ski areas inside the streak (current count is 89)
100 ski days (record is 65) - this should be fairly hard. All depends what is happening on the work front.

And I'll be on the bus from hell the 24th..by then they should have something interesting to slide around on...

jasoncapecod":29xhbmu4 said:

No. The October to June season sells a ton of season passes at Killington. Even if you don't ski before Thanksgiving or after May 1, it creates a great value proposition for a season pass since you know there will be a lot open when you go. And season pass people all have friends who buy day tickets.

Look at what happened at Killington when it was sold to POWDR and Chris Nyberg showed up. He announced a Thanksgiving to mid-April season. It looked like a neutron bomb hit the place and it wasn't busy even on the holiday weeks. It works and it adds a ton of revenue to the bottom line.

I stopped skiing early season weekends. It is uncomfortably crowded on the limited terrain. Midweek is empty and I telecommute so I can sneak out for a couple of hours.

OK, I'll bite.

I skied the Big K Nov 10th and it was pretty darn good eastern skiing.

Sure, there were a lot of people on just a few slopes. The line at the triple was only a few minutes.

They had East Glade/Reason, Rime, Upper East Fall, Upper Double Dipper, Killink, Great Northern, Bunny Buster (top to bottom) and Mouse Trap.

The best snow was on Mouse Trap with big soft perfect moguls. Lower Bunny is always fun this time of year because the entire mountain funnels down to that one trail. I enjoy skipping through there using the other skiers as gates. They ran K1, Glades Triple/No Ridge and the Snowden triple).

Considering the high skier density (especially on Great Northern) there were no accidents (AFAIK). Killington skiers are used to that stuff. I don't love it, but it was the best skiing there was that weekend.

They've since expanded to Skye Peak and have snow on Superstar, Skyelark and Bittersweet. They expanded Snowdon as well.

I'm heading back there this weekend.

Back