Hunter

kingslug

Spent the day at Hunter Sunday. There wasn't much to ski, 2 runs top to bottom but big enough to spend the day endlessly lapping at high speed..more of workout to get ready for the season..

There wasn't much to ski, 2 runs top to bottom but big enough to spend the day endlessly lapping at high speed..more of workout to get ready for the season..

that about sums it up
I was there on Friday..

Yup..1 day at K, 1 day at Hunter..then 5 days at Alta/Bird the 11th.. hope it warms a bit out there..friggin freezing now..

kingslug":1pgostj1 said:
hope it warms a bit out there.
I'd be hoping a lot more for some more snow than worrying about the temps. Even I wouldn't go near Snowbird now at 15% open on a 26-38 inch base. Alta and Brighton are OK now, but usually at this time they are a lot better than just OK.

I'd be on the road for Utah soon myself if it were better. We may consider a longer road trip before Christmas depending upon the weather over the next week or so.

Tony Crocker":16u0wv3b said:
kingslug":16u0wv3b said:
hope it warms a bit out there.
I'd be hoping a lot more for some more snow than worrying about the temps.

...says the guy who sits comfortably ensconced in southern California. When exactly was the last time you saw the snowpack in LCC?

Even I wouldn't go near Snowbird now at 15% open on a 26-38 inch base.

Neither would I, which is why I haven't been over there yet this season. I have no desire to be hemmed in on snowmaking groomers.

Alta and Brighton are OK now, but usually at this time they are a lot better than just OK.

...says the guy who sits comfortably ensconced in southern California. A majority of Alta is now open and very pleasant to ski.

You won't see this at Snowbird right now:

BavvNAdCMAA4hes.jpg

I'd be on the road for Utah soon myself if it were better.

Stay home. More for me.

I don't think admin and I disagree much here. If I lived in Utah of course I would be skiing at Alta now. For a 10 hour drive I'd like Snowbird to at least be in the mix, which we agree it is not yet.
admin":2qjmpixa said:
A majority of Alta is now open
1000 of 2200 acres, per http://www.snocountry.com/ski-reports/utah
I'm sure admin will correct me if that info is incorrect.

Also if I have to drive 10 hours for skiing, it may be tempting to go somewhere other than my usual haunts, especially if there is actually more snow. For now, it's wait and see for at least another week. I'd be curious if ChrisC could tell us why Telluride is only 25% open when it has had 91 inches of snow and has a 42 inch base. Telluride didn't hit those numbers until Jan. 31 last season.

Alta was better than the Bird ..but I did find some very good lines there. the new Gad 2 chair opened and Gadzooks was good for at leat 6 laps..and again on Sunday..
Or..I could have been skiing at Hunter..which got 14 inches, so it would not have been too bad...and it continues to snow there..another 5 on the way..

I agreed to stay one more week at my job...and screwed myself out of some good skiing....well hopefully they recover fast after xmas...

Yea, I skied yesterday morning for a couple of hours. My local hill skied about as well as it probably ever does in New England. Got 5 to 6 inches of snow last Saturday night; then a couple of cold days for 24 hour snowmaking, and then 4 to 5 inches of ultra light powder (by east coast standards) Tuesday into Tuesday night. This follows a cold December, ideal for snowmaking. 100% side-to-side coverage on all trails and groomed, packed powder everywhere. Not a single bit of hardpack or ice to be found. Unfortunately, warm temps in at least the 50's plus heavy rain predicted for the weekend. It will wipe out a substantial part of the snow that has been made and has fallen. UGH.

Back