Laurentian ( Tremblant ) Snow Report

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Laurentian ( Tremblant ) Snow Report

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:56 am

Since the biggest area in the region, Mt. Tremblant, only claims 156 inches, that is below the threshold for which collecting snow data interests me. In general at ski areas that get 150 or less the quality of skiing depends far more upon temperatures/snowmaking than upon snowfall. If there is a microclimate in the area that gets 200+ I would be interested in data supporting that. Thus my interest in Quebec snow data has been mostly for the Quebec City environs and secondarily the Townships.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Anthony » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:24 am

Close to a foot of snow fell over the Laurentian region over the past 7 days including 4 inches that fell yesterday morning . Yesterday's snow was perfect timing as the accumulated snow provided boot deep turns in the Laurentian hills. Doesn't get any better . Snow on a Saturday morning with no competition . Skiing is prime these days , even Tremblant's web page photo's are showing powder images . Dry snow into late March is perfect, no rush for corn .
Anthony

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Anthony wrote:Close to a foot of snow fell over the Laurentian region over the past 7 days including 4 inches that fell yesterday morning . Yesterday's snow was perfect timing as the accumulated snow provided boot deep turns in the Laurentian hills. Doesn't get any better . Snow on a Saturday morning with no competition . Skiing is prime these days , even Tremblant's web page photo's are showing powder images . Dry snow into late March is perfect, no rush for corn .

Awesome skiing. Skied the last 3 days at MSSI ski areas in the Laurentians (Gabriel on Friday) and Outaouais (Edelweiss this weekend). Friday was a powdery Spring Day and it was back to full Winter this weather with -15c morning starts. :-D No time to write TRs. From memory, this has been the best March skiing in the East since 2008. I'm looking to head towards Vermont for a few days this week then back local for next weekend.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Anthony » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Yeah , can't believe how much Laurentian powder we skied this year for next to nothing in cost . My only regret is not having enough time to ski it all . Sure there is more powder in northern vt but when you have powder outside your door on the weekend with no else around can't complain . Guys were telling me powder at Tremblant , Garceau etc just endless . Imagine if Alta was open !
Anthony

Postby Anthony » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Snow coverage is deep,however snow then rain fell on Friday (March 28 ) followed by below average temps on Saturday under overcast and a few inches of snow today . Tremblant is reporting that they need some sun to soften up the natural stuff . I would agree with this . Headed out on the snow shoes to find a deep snow pack south of the Laurentian hills .
Attachments
SP3.jpg
SP3.jpg (125.93 KiB) Viewed 11090 times
Anthony

Postby Anthony » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Often find it hard to get a good corn day in as you need the sun and temps to soften up the snow without a north wind . With rain in the forecast decided to take a vacation day today to take advantage of the sun and above freezing temps . Picked up the oldest kid on campus and headed out to a south facing mole hill for some turns. Arrived just before noon to find the snow just starting to soften in areas exposed to direct sunlight . Areas in the shade stayed frozen all day . Tremblant probably had limited softening up today as temps high 30's low 40's . Across the region great snow coverage as spring skiing has just started with softening of the snow only taking place in the afternoon provided it is not overcast. This will probably be the last weekend for most areas even though coverage is complete . Lack of skiers like every year.
Anthony

Postby Anthony » Tue May 13, 2014 6:02 pm

MSS closed this past weekend wrapping up another Laurentian season. So with this season now history can say it was better than average with lots of new snow days and powder days. Only had one boring day back in November skiing the WROD just for the November record. The only downer was the fire at Alta in late January that knocked out the lift for the balance of the season. However, the plan is to open next season so staying positive. Had the benefit of skiing the newly re-opened Sauvage in Val Morin (close to Alta in the same cluster of Laurentian hills). Skiing at Sauvage reminded me that this section of the Laurentians (Alta, Sauvage ,Plante ) offers up some great terrain,if it only had a little more vertical.
Anthony

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed May 14, 2014 4:26 am

Did they ever determine what caused the Mont Alta fire?
jamesdeluxe

Postby Patrick » Fri May 16, 2014 1:31 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:Did they ever determine what caused the Mont Alta fire?

I think someone told me, but it wasn't the ski area fault. Electrical? From what I remember, I think the electrical had been recently changed. The problem about re-opening, was to get back on the grid.

As for the Laurentian Report, last Saturday still had 2 runs with 5-8' depth on snow on almost all of Hill 70. They were supposed to call it a season last week, but decided to re-open for this long weekend.

Hang On, I’m not done yet !!! Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 – Part 7 1/2
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/05/ ... part-7-12/
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
Patrick

Postby Anthony » Tue May 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Can confirm Patrick has it right , fire nothing to do with Alta as a source . Just hope everyone comes back in the fall to keep it going.
Anthony

Previous

Return to Eastern North America