TR - Sugarbush 2014-01-10

admafw

Day 2 of the mini-trip east. An early ferry ride from Plattsburgh got me to Sugarbush by 9:30 am for Ski & Ride with the Point day. Windy, with snow falling. The main (Super Bravo) and top (Heavens Gate) lifts were on wind hold so I started my day on the North Lynx side. Full marks to the resort for their extensive grooming efforts. With the warmer temps the corduroy was a pleasant change from the previous day at WF, although off the groomed was boiler plate.

Around 11 am I decided to swing over and take the old Valley House double. Ended up going up with a excellent fellow wearing an official resort jacket. (Didn't get a name but the gentleman has a handsome handlebar mustache.) He was kind enough to mention that the Heavens Gate chair was just opening and even showed me the way across. Last thing he said to me as we neared the top was that for the next hour we would have our own private ski hill - he was right! The show had been falling atop the untouched corduroy for a solid 2 hrs and the conditions were amazing! With the empty runs I let the skis run in full downhill mode several times down the tops of Jester and Organ Grinder. They opened the Super Bravo chair just before noon and the (relative) crowds showed up, but for that hour the skiing was magic solitude!

SB-Medium.JPG

I also have to give full marks to the resort for the bartender service & lunch special/micro brew pricing at the pub after what could be best described as "hostage" pricing at WF the day before.

A great day skiing - this makes 3 great visits to Sugarbush in a row. They're giving Stowe a run as my favorite place to ski in the East.

Back