Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Spring has taken a long time to arrive in the northeast and my recent day at Hunter was indicative of that. Due to the almost nonstop below-average temps, there's been little to no loss of coverage on the trails and with Hunter's snowmaking prowess, they're working with a serious base, up to ten feet in spots, that should carry them comfortably through the April 13 closing date with a large percentage of the terrain open.

As we pulled into the parking lot, you could see that all of the trails had wall-to-wall coverage, including a few that usually have dirt patches by this point in the season.

001.JPG


Jason and I got on the lift around 9:30 and an hour later, things started softening up nicely in the late-March sun.

009.JPG
Broadway

008.JPG
Upper K-27

010.JPG
Way Out

011.JPG
Clair's Way

003.JPG
Lunch on the Patio


Jason went back to Hunter yesterday and said that it was one of his best spring days in years.
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby Anthony » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Noticed in the first pic that snow is gone at the entrance. Would this be on par with normal snow coverage for this area even in a season with below average temps.
Anthony
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:25 pm
Location: Montfort , Quebec

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby jasoncapecod » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:18 pm

The south facing natural snow was gone, but any thing facing north still had 6 or so inches..
Hunter experienced just average snowfall this winter, but with bellow avg temp , they blew like crazy..
User avatar
jasoncapecod
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:30 am
Location: NEW YORK

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Anthony wrote:Noticed in the first pic that snow is gone at the entrance. Would this be on par with normal snow coverage for this area even in a season with below average temps.

Hunter compares very closely with Bromont as far as natural snow (not that much, usually in the low 100 inches) and snowmaking/grooming (extensive), so that explains the difference between the entrance and the trails.
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby EMSC » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:23 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:should carry them comfortably through the April 13 closing date


I decided to go and look; and their website is now along the lines of "open though at least April 13". Maybe they'll go for a bonus weekend or so that you can hit up for some true spring slush.
User avatar
EMSC
 
Posts: 1978
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Front Range of Colorado

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:32 pm

Just like anywhere else, they'll have to figure out if enough paying customers to make it worth their while. In all likelihood not.
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:
Anthony wrote:Noticed in the first pic that snow is gone at the entrance. Would this be on par with normal snow coverage for this area even in a season with below average temps.

Hunter compares very closely with Bromont as far as natural snow (not that much, usually in the low 100 inches) and snowmaking/grooming (extensive), so that explains the difference between the entrance and the trails.


I don't know what Bromont looks like right now, but I know that everyone in Ottawa stills has snow on their lawn (south and north facing). That looks pretty gray to me. Again, the total accumulation doesn't tell the whole story.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Patrick wrote:I know that everyone in Ottawa stills has snow on their lawn (south and north facing). That looks pretty gray to me. Again, the total accumulation doesn't tell the whole story.

Not sure what the point about Ottawa lawns is :-k -- all we were saying is that despite the lack of snow in the Catskills this month, temps were colder than normal and trail coverage is good for this late in the season.
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: Hunter, NY 03/27/14

Postby Patrick » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:
Patrick wrote:I know that everyone in Ottawa stills has snow on their lawn (south and north facing). That looks pretty gray to me. Again, the total accumulation doesn't tell the whole story.

Not sure what the point about Ottawa lawns is :-k -- all we were saying is that despite the lack of snow in the Catskills this month, temps were colder than normal and trail coverage is good for this late in the season.


You mentioned that Bromont and Hunter gets the same amount of snow. Numbers isn't the only thing...lawn is gray versus white here (which probably is close to 100" also).
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
http://madpatski.wordpress.com
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:19 am
Location: The Great Trip 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario


Return to Eastern North America

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use