Interesting Operations

EMSC

At Greek Peak this week per family.

Apparently the secondary snowmaking shed at the base of Chair 4 burned down on Friday last week (surprising to not see it in any news anywhere). Anyway they are rebuilding things this week interfering with the base of that lift, so they have shut down both Chairs 4 and 5 (which is primarily accessed by 4). OK, but then they are not running Chair 2 either... which can be typical weekdays as you can ski over from Chair 1 to get ~80% of those trails, but you'd think they would open it as a consolation for easier access to that pod. OK, but then they are also blowing snow on the Iliad and have also shut down the Odyssey trail off of Chair 1 for some reason (both have been open for a while so no dire need for additional snowmaking). Which leaves only a couple of trails on the whole mountain as open the past 2 days...

Very weird operational decisions in my book even if weekdays after a holiday aren't exactly crowded. Who whats to show up at all for the remaining couple of trails?

I am not qualified to answer these operational questions as I don't really know the mountain. One of the GP partners, Marc, has really made himself accessible to us and gave me this yesterday for our Greek Peak Conditions thread. I realize it doesn't answer the Chair 1 question:

"Snowmaking returned last night. The pump house that was affected by the fire: a temporary workaround will be in place today and we will begin to blow snow on Wednesday, hitting Hercules and the east side. A permanent fix will be constructed once winter ends."

That's all I got. Hope your vacation is working out well otherwise.

Sweet that the new owners are more open and willing to update and inform.

Of course they could just put some of that info on a blog type page or the facebook page for the resort too. The general gist of all the detail is that off of Chair 1 there were basically 2 green trails and one ungroomed intermediate trail (fields) that were open (plus short beginner 'trails"). That's it for the whole resort since 2 key trails were shut down on Chair 1 at the same time they had chairs 2,4 and 5 shut down as well.

I'm not back east, but I heard plenty of complaints from my parents who only like to ski weekdays.

Back