East on track for an average or better season

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in eastern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby jasoncapecod » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:06 am

What is setting this season apart from others is, the lack of a thaw between storms..
User avatar
jasoncapecod
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:30 am
Location: NEW YORK

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:48 am

jasoncapecod wrote:What is setting this season apart from others is, the lack of a thaw between storms..

Yeah, it's like we're not living in the northeast! Too bad that my only quasi EC powder day to date was in Pennsylvania. #-o

Harv's weekend visit to Hickory -- which sits in a hideous snow shadow and has zero manmade help -- underscores the good juju of this season so far:
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Hickory-Ski- ... 55063.html
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Harvey44 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:13 am

Jason is exactly right. Mostly average snowfalls (Gore is at 93 vs 150 season average) with no meltdowns.

I disagree with the comment about Hickory being in a snowshadow.

I think you are confusing it with another larger mountain 20 miles to the northwest. :-o
NYSkiBlog.com
User avatar
Harvey44
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:37 pm
Location: North River, NY
Location: North River, NY

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 am

Harvey44 wrote:I disagree with the comment about Hickory being in a snowshadow. I think you are confusing it with another larger mountain 20 miles to the northwest. :-o

Moving forward, I'll have you script my comments about the southern ADKs. :x

This just in -- it appears that Bobby D has eaten crow/relocated back to the northeast and assumed the alias "Bob K" (scroll halfway down):
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/North-Creek- ... l#a4055230
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:59 am

Is there a way to see annual snowfall data at the Mount Mansfield snow stake or elsewhere on the spine of the Greens not collected by a ski resort?
User avatar
Geoff
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:38 pm
Location: Killington, VT

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Geoff wrote:Is there a way to see annual snowfall data at the Mount Mansfield snow stake or elsewhere on the spine of the Greens not collected by a ski resort?

Yes, but as exhaustively analyzed by JSpin and powderfreak a few years ago, the Mansfield Stake underestimates snowfall by a significant margin. The in-season reporting is even less reliable, as it's running 65% of average through mid-February while Jay, Stowe and Sugarbush are all at 103%. Killington is at 101%. I'm sure Geoff would agree that the 101-103% numbers are reasonable.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9749
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:39 am

Tony Crocker wrote:
Geoff wrote:Is there a way to see annual snowfall data at the Mount Mansfield snow stake or elsewhere on the spine of the Greens not collected by a ski resort?

Yes, but as exhaustively analyzed by JSpin and powderfreak a few years ago, the Mansfield Stake underestimates snowfall by a significant margin. The in-season reporting is even less reliable, as it's running 65% of average through mid-February while Jay, Stowe and Sugarbush are all at 103%. Killington is at 101%. I'm sure Geoff would agree that the 101-103% numbers are reasonable.


The reason I'm asking is because somebody elsewhere is trying to claim that ski resort snowfall reporting is a total lie because it's 2x or 3x what the NWS reports down in the flats at some airport. I know from decades of experience that a resort that misreported snowfall would be slammed by the thousands of people who are there tracking it out.
User avatar
Geoff
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:38 pm
Location: Killington, VT

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:57 pm

Geoff wrote:I know from decades of experience that a resort that misreported snowfall would be slammed by the thousands of people who are there tracking it out.

There would also need to be a conspiracy to overstate among numerous areas, because if one area is at 125% and everyone else around them is at 100%, it's easy to call out the outlier.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9749
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby berkshireskier » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:
Geoff wrote:I know from decades of experience that a resort that misreported snowfall would be slammed by the thousands of people who are there tracking it out.

There would also need to be a conspiracy to overstate among numerous areas, because if one area is at 125% and everyone else around them is at 100%, it's easy to call out the outlier.


I usually assume some relatively small "fudge factor" when ski areas report snowfall. As we all know, how much snowfall they report can depend on where and how they measure snow on the mountain. There are always ways to "enhance" the amount of snow that they claim has fallen on the mountain.

On a somewhat related topic, ski conditions have been superb (by Eastern standards) the last four or five weeks in most of New England and the Northeast. Several substantial snowstorms with no thaws or rain or other weather factors to destroy the conditions. BUT, it has been brutally cold for much of this time period, so somewhat hard to enjoy the skiing. I skied yesterday morning for a few hours. About an inch of new snow on top of groomed, real powder snow. Great ski conditions. But it turned very cold and windy as a new cold front passed through in the middle of the morning. About 12 degrees with 20 to 30 MPH winds blowing straight up the trails as you skied down (with the new snow blowing in your face - UGH). Maybe some more snow this weekend too and more continued cold weather into March predicted.
berkshireskier
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Harvey44 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:20 am

Geoff wrote:Is there a way to see annual snowfall data at the Mount Mansfield snow stake or elsewhere on the spine of the Greens not collected by a ski resort?


LOL sounds like Geoff is talking about our troll Powder Assassin. Or maybe one of his personnas on another forum where he hasn't been banned.

Would love to see a nice methodical TC smackdown...
NYSkiBlog.com
User avatar
Harvey44
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:37 pm
Location: North River, NY
Location: North River, NY

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Marc_C » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Harvey44 wrote:LOL sounds like Geoff is talking about our troll Powder Assassin. Or maybe one of his personnas on another forum where he hasn't been banned.

Would love to see a nice methodical TC smackdown...

I didn't know about Powder Assassin and I generally don't read eastcoast-centric blogs or forums, so I did a quick search. Holy crap Batman!!!
I think a flame war between him, Otis De La Rosa, and gpaul could be a milestone event in internet history!
-marc
User avatar
Marc_C
 
Posts: 3169
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:32 am
Location: A Sandy place south of a Great Lake

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Harvey44 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Pow's theory is that if you say something a million times it must be true.

He definitely believes in the organized conspiracy along the Green Mountain spine where each mountain up the line progressively exaggerates snow totals with Mt Snow adding 5% all the way up to Stowe/Jay basically doubling their totals.

Personally I've stopped picking on him (much) because I think he may be mentally unstable.
NYSkiBlog.com
User avatar
Harvey44
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:37 pm
Location: North River, NY
Location: North River, NY

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Tony Crocker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 am

Harvey44 wrote:Would love to see a nice methodical TC smackdown...

I've had this discussion occasionally by e-mail. Nonetheless JSpin and powderfreak live in the area, measure snow themselves and are far more qualified than I for this particular job.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9749
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue May 26, 2015 11:09 am

I just got the Mansfield Stake daily logs.

The stretch with no rain was from January 5 - April 9. The average temperatures for February were high 7F, low -9F. Both of these might be records.

The disparity in snowfall between the Mansfield Stake and the Stowe ski area (measured by powderfreak) is huge this year: 183.9 inches vs. 290 inches.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
User avatar
Tony Crocker
 
Posts: 9749
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:37 am
Location: Avatar: Charlotte Bay, Antarctica 2011
Location: Glendale, California

Re: East on track for an average or better season

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed May 27, 2015 4:33 am

Tony Crocker wrote:The stretch with no rain was from January 5 - April 9. The average temperatures for February were high 7F, low -9F. Both of these might be records.

Three months without rain, wow.
User avatar
jamesdeluxe
 
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm
Location: South Orange, NJ

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern North America

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


All content herein copyright © 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media

Forums Terms & Conditions of Use

cron