TR Mont Orford, QC 2015-03-16

admafw

Day 1 of 5, Eastern "Spring 2015" trip.

The "wintry mix" called for in the Eastern Townships had changed to 3-4" of snow the day before and then gotten cold overnight. The day started with facemasks & real packed powder. Mont Orford is a fun mountain, (actually 3) the most challenging in the townships but with variety enough for the mixed levels in our group. We stayed out of the bumps and worked on getting our 300' conditioned Ontario legs used to 1800+' runs. The steeper terrain started to get scratchy in spots as the day went on but the warming weather and clear skies meant some much needed deck time resting the thighs at lunch. Good scenic start to the week with views of distant Mt Wasington to the east, Jay & Owls Head south and Bromont west.

Here's the south view from the 4km run (2.5 mi) of Lake Memphremagog, Owls Head and Jay...
Orford S view 20150316.jpg

Father / Daughter quality bonding time...
Orford Sun 20150316.JPG

The day ended with a crossing of the border and a run down to North Woodstock, NH for 3 days of skiing the Granite State.

I've always thought of Orford as a 2/3-as-tall version of Whiteface, but with better tree skiing. After a dump of snow, it's one of my favorites on the East Coast and that view of Lake Memphremagog is beautiful.

Good analogy - both seem to get similar amounts of snow, are state/province run and the 4k run does remind me of Follies/Parons. Lake Placid is a funkier town because of the Olympic vibe and has much better lodging options than Magog, although I will say that the restaurants in Magog have improved since I last visited.

They're also both prone to wind and even the topography is similar -- a main peak with subpeaks on the looker's left (Mont Giroux/Little Whiteface) and right (Alfred Desrochers/Lookout). As mentioned, Orford's glade skiing is better/more extensive while Whiteface has The Slides.

Just realized that I haven't been to the Townships since my 2010 visit. I need to head back next season.

Back